Whats the deal with paprika, is it just a scam? Does it have a taste?

Whats the deal with paprika, is it just a scam? Does it have a taste?

I used to work at a place where an old hungarian chef would come in once a week, and every other week he'd make paprika chicken. It was fucking delicious, but he would always use a fuckton of it. Might have been smoked too.

Yeah you might be right I think it could be the next meme spice. Too bad there's no way to ever know if it has a taste.

Nice thread retard.

Buy it as fresh as you can get it, flavor dissipates rather quickly.
Also, use a large quantity of you even want to taste it.
Smoked paprika is only good for things that require a smokey flavor, too strong to allow the actual paprika flavor through.

I don't understand the point of it . It's just a ground chili pepper, what's so special about that specific type of pepper? there are better tasting peppers.

Its actually ground bell pepper / sweet pepper. Nothing special about it.

if you get a nice smoked paprika, it tastes sweet and smoky

It's not just red bell pepper that's dehydrated. Only the jarred crap in grocery stores has no taste. Think of Paprika as a mix of spices with a red pepper base. There are tons of blends. Some are sweet, some are spicy, some are smoked, etc.

It all depends on the region that makes it. If you get to go to an outdoor market in Spain for example, you'll see lots you can try. Each is very distinct.

I recommend this kind, actually has a really strong flavor and you don't have to use a lot of it

paprika is literally my favorite spice

she's a qt

If it isn't flourescently BRIGHT RED, then it's probably old, oxidized and stale. It loses flavor, not so much bad taint, but just less flavor. Buy it in bulk, freshly sourced, or get it in a tin. A good goulash or paprikash recipe uses copious amounts, so not like you're using it just as a garnish. You should get through that whole tin in 4-5 uses. Plan on replacing it at least every year, probably every six months.

>Think of Paprika as a mix of spices with a red pepper base
But it's not a mix. It's 100% ground dried peppers. If it's light, they kept in the veins and seeds too much, which add bitterness. So actually the hotter varieties might have more crap flavors. Use a fresh chili if you want burn your mouth food. The amazingness of a good paprika is sweet paprika.

I grind my own chili powder from dried peppers. I would do the same for paprika but I'm not sure exactly what IS it, everything I've read is always vague about this point.

>organic

it's ground sweet pepper, with stronger varieties sometimes mixed in for variance.

it's basically sweet cayenne

I mean, I don't know if it's actually organic or not but all that matters to me is if it smells and tastes good and it does

Do you know how many different peppers there are? Peppers are a spice, so multiple peppers would be a spice mix.

Seeds don't add bitterness, they add heat. Bitterness and acid has to do with the kind of pepper that's being used, water present during growth, curing and soil.

Easily the most underrated spice, I can't be the only one to add smoked Hungarian paprika to almost anything savory. I use it in pasta sauces, soups, grilled chicken, on fried eggs & bacon, in pot roast, on potatoes, etc. I've tried several paprikas but now I use a good csipos like pic related

>the next meme spice
the next after what? paprika's been around forever dude. I think it's always been sort of a meme.

it's kinda weird. when it's in a dish I don't really taste it, i.e. if I taste the dish, I can't identify "oh yeah I can taste the paprika." but if I leave it out, I can taste the absence of it. tastes like something's missing.

paprika gives a slight warmth, i like it on pizza

It's a good seasoning base to add depth tho

Paprika is definitely one of those spices where it's probably pointless as anything other than a color additive unless you have a good source of it. McCormick level paprika tastes like shit, but I have no doubt that fresh, smoked paprika could be phenomenal. I just doubt that a lot of us have even tasted the good stuff.

Where my bongbros up in here
You wouldn't think paprika sold by a supermarket would be serious business, but this stuff is expensive and actually pretty good. It's extremely red, and I could roll around in that smell all day.

I'm always suspicious of packaging that doesn't show me the ingredient.

It's actually transparent plastic, I don't know if the picture is of old packaging or just bad glare.

Paprika and chicken are a match made in heaven

I recently ran out of paprika and it makes me very sad, especially since I've been to the supermarket twice today and forgotten to buy more both times

It adds the flavor of red bell pepper without the moisture, texture, perishability, and cost of a fresh red bell pepper.

Something tells me as soon as that wall goes up and all imports are banned, we'll need paprika more than ever

Looking forward to having to live like 1950s iron curtain style, no imported culture or products allowed except perhaps on the black market. All subversive behavior reported to the secret police

What the fuck
I always thought paprika and bell Peppers were just two variants of the same vegetable

>black market

Are we talking tunnels under the wall? Wew I can't wait

Hot paprika is good stuff. It's not overwhelmingly spicy but I don't need a ton to flavor food. Never tried smoked though.

>I think it could be the next meme spice

What the fuck does that even mean?

It's millennial language

There are loads of different sweet peppers. Here's a photo of the peppers dried and used to make paprika in southeast spain. They look like cascabel chiles but I assure you they are sweet peppers.

AJVAR
JVARA
VARAJ
ARAJV
RAJVA

It's probably a meme. It's too early to tell

If you buy it from a store, then it has no taste. For it to have any flavor, you need to dry/grind it yourself and use w/in the next few days

>current year+1
>he doesn't know about meme cuisines

I just use it to put a nice color on meats

>current year
>a "food board"
>calling anything and everything he doesn't like "memes" because Veeky Forums is retarded enough to reinforce it

Go home grandpa

>3rd gen HUNG ARYAN immigrant
you can put it on anythink man just do it

Go to bed, junior.

Is it feasible to make your own paprika by drying bell peppers?

I'm thinking of trying. The relative humidity in my house is about 25% at the moment so I think I should be able to just cut some bell peppers up finely and leave them on a rack to dry. I did this with jalapenos a while back and made jalapeno powder which was very flavorful, although it lost most of its flavor in just a couple of weeks after being ground.

Isn't paprika cheaper than fresh bell peppers?

that's a good way of putting it. that would explain why I miss it when it's absent and "should" be there.

your failure is not using smoked paprika. it is delicious whereas normal paprika basically has no flavor

Red bell peppers are overpriced though. If you can get them cheap or grow them, otherwise I find something like a California pepper grinds up into something like paprika and they are cheaper.

Come sit on my lap.

>Red bell peppers are overpriced though
Ain't that the fuckin truth.

I thought it was a scam until I bought spicy hungarian paprika to make the Food Wishes goulash that isn't really goulash. Now I'm looking around for things that use paprika.

No, paprika is pure red bell pepper, dried and ground, and possibly smoked.

Paprika is red bell pepper. Nothing more. It is not a spice mix. It is a spice.
Paprika has no heat, because bell peppers have no capsaicin. Their seeds are bitter, not spicy.