Since the coke formula is now public domain...

since the coke formula is now public domain, why hasn't a competitor sprung up with a cheaper brand with the same famous coke taste?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dMdcu1hHSHc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sugar water is gross.

It's not public domain just because it is publicly known. You can't just copy it, you have to change it up a little bit.

shadup fagot.

can I make it then just for myself? and save the high markup?

Yeah, pretty sure you just can't sell it.

I'm not trying to be gay, but can I sell it to my friends and just not tell anyone?

are you still there?

I'm so ronery. ( ._.)

> sell it to my friends and just not tell anyone?
You can do whatever you want as long as you don't get caught.

For the same reason no one drinks RC cola, branding matters.

Surely finding what ingredients are in a given food product isn't that difficult with modern tech anyway? I suppose precise quantities and preparation technique are harder to work out but once you've got the basics down it's just a process of experimentation.

k ^.^

now I just need to make some friends :)

coca leaves.

RC just blends Coke and Pepsi.

It's called deformulation. It can become pretty hard if you don't know what you are looking for. For coke you can at least guess the ingredients and test for them I guess.

Also you might find out what is in it and in what relative quantities, but then you might still need to reverse engineer the preparation method to get the proper consistency and taste.

>It's called deformulation. It can become pretty hard if you don't know what you are looking for. For coke you can at least guess the ingredients and test for them I guess.
I suppose it isn't worth the effort if it's not legal to produce it afterwards.
>Also you might find out what is in it and in what relative quantities, but then you might still need to reverse engineer the preparation method to get the proper consistency and taste.
I assume you could work out the broad method from commonly available information, coke is produced in many places around the world the knowledge can't be that limited.

ill go buy an rc right now. they always tasted cheap af but ill do it for you

IP attorney here (yes really), you're wrong. You can't call it Coca-Cola (because trademark protection), but you can sell it.

Trade secret protection vanishes as soon as the secret becomes known. Coca-Cola could sue an employee who signed an NDA, but they can't sue you for using public information.

Comparative advertising is a giant mess, and so you would want to consult an attorney specializing in that before going around advertising things like "exactly the same as Coke!" or "uses the identical formula to Coca-Cola!" In particular, they might be able to nuke you from orbit if you're not using the exact same sources, since as all good coo/ck/s know, natural ingredients vary in flavor depending on their source. Hence, like, the entire fucking wine industry.

But the real issue is branding. People pay a premium for fancy brands because of perception more than any other reason. Just because your knockoff is "just as good" doesn't mean they'll flock to your doors to buy it.

So essentially it is possible to do but impractical since a large part of coke's success is based on branding? Makes sense, there are superior drinks that are cheaper already.

where is the cocoa?

joe rogan told me they still use cocoa as flavoring, and have huge factories which extract the flavor and then sell the rest as medical cocaine

why is cola so [spoiler]tasty[/spoilersdontworkonck]

There are not superior cola drinks.

Because brand recognitions. There's plenty of better colas out there anyways.

Always thought it had tamarind in

You can duplicate the formula but only one company owns the brand name. The brand name is what pushes the product.

No phosphoric acid, so not the real recipe.

I tried that stuff in the 1990s back when I was too young to drink alcohol and had to get my consumerism kicks via common junk food

I don't remember it other than wondering at the time if it was pro or anti apartheid, and deciding I didn't really care either way as long as none of my friends thought I supported apartheid

>I don't remember it other than wondering at the time if it was pro or anti apartheid
Afri Cola's from Germany, m8

youtube.com/watch?v=dMdcu1hHSHc

Germany start exporting original recipe Fanta pls.

I know that now, but you have to keep in mind google didn't exist back then, so for stuff that wasn't particularly important, like consumer brand trivia, people were more comfortable making wild inferences and not putting too much stock into whether those inferences were correct or not

You're wrong.

They have. There's almost no difference between coke and the generic shit you can buy at Safeway/Albertsons/Every other store big enough to have their own brand.

This one is great but too expensive, in Europe can be double or triple than Coca cola.

That is true it's in New Jersey

That shit had better be fabulous because there has never been a more hipster name for anything.

>tfw my shithole country only sells this onlywithout the alcohol

ITS A FUCKING MINISCULE AMOUNT LITERALLY NO ONE WILL GET FUCKED UP ON IT

fuck off dude, fentimans is a revived family business dating back to the early 20th century and its marketing is completely acceptable.

>There are not superior cola drinks

step aside turkeys

Step aside for the superior cola.
Everything else is shit tier.

Anyone who drinks alcohol in any form should be euthanized.

Why? The tiny amount in the drink we're talking about isn't going to get anyone drunk.

why

"Compare to ingredients in (Brand)" is one I see very commonly on generics in the health/pharmacy section.

I bet that one tastes like one of those "natural" colas like Red Bull Cola.