Should I isolate myself studying pure math rigorously until I reach a plateau, and start abusing psychedelics?

Should I isolate myself studying pure math rigorously until I reach a plateau, and start abusing psychedelics?

You think I could make a legitimate break through that way?

If you are already at a level where you can do research then probably yes.

If you are just going to smoke crack while learning integration techniques then no, and your drugs will only enhance your brainlettery.

Who Said Crack u Stupid piece of shit

It is the same shit. Even if you are a big pussy who is going to just smoke weed, if you are still a brainlet you will just get worse.

Drugs expand your mind. If you are an enlightened intellectual then drugs will enlight you more. If you are a retard then drugs will enhance your retardation. That is why it is not recommended that you smoke, even weed, before you are 25 as your brain has not finished developing.

>If you are just going to smoke crack while learning integration techniques then no
Yeah no no that's why I said pure math, even though integration techniques can be constructed form real analysis, no?

b nice pls

I mean integration techniques can really just be "constructed" through geometry and common sense but yes that too

If it is a legitimate breakthrough there are very few people able to tell if you are for real or a fraud and then the fact that you used drugs would not help you look less like a weird crack-pot prof.

Especially if you have no social context, maybe abandoned academia or quit a well paying job et.c. you will prolly look even more like a crack-pot prof.

how does the pullback and pushout relate to a shark in a box?

oh true

I mean if it follows mathematical rigor then surely it's not an issue?

I guess the problem would be that no one would waste their time with some seemingly crack pot professor's research
Fug

I just did a generic example of what's considered "modern math" in this case basic category theory
and a generic example of modern art which is a piece by damien hirst who probably did drug to make a "breakthrough" in art

tl;dr five minutes on kolourpaint to say math + drug

Doesn't have to be an issue if the only thing you care about is finding the mathematical truth for your own enjoyment and don't give a crap about what people think. But how many people in our world are like that? Not many percent.

>Doesn't have to be an issue if the only thing you care about is finding the mathematical truth for your own enjoyment and don't give a crap about what people think
Why are you saying that as if it is the GOAT way of thinking of pursuing knowledge?
Mathematical truth, in the same way that it happens with other areas, it's worthless if not used in a greater context. Mankind's achievements happen by cooperation.
I'm not saying that pursuing truth for itself is a bad thing, but it's not the only good way of seeing things.

I do agree that usefulness is important, but in a high tech heavily specialized society, to add even a small delta to the knowledge base requires huge efforts and narrowing the focus to so tight that almost no one could tell for sure what you are even trying to do.

>but in a high tech heavily specialized society, to add even a small delta to the knowledge base requires huge efforts and narrowing the focus to so tight that almost no one could tell for sure what you are even trying to do
I do understand that this is more common today, but that has happened a lot throughout history. Many mathematicians worked on topics that got their use years if not centuries later, and that by no means diminishes their glory. This is why I think that pursuing knowledge that is impractical on the present can be done while not forgeting that progress is only made when knowledge is useful.

I isolate myself and study physics and math doing stims. Shits fun.

Not only what is useful matters, but being able to communicate why it is and how it can be used.

There is also often a difficulty explaining why something would be useful. And even if you can explain it, to convince someone with money to spend money on it if you've been sitting isolated for any longer amount of time.

I am thinking about micro-dosing DMT and seeing if it leads me anywhere

>Drugs expand your mind. If you are an enlightened intellectual then drugs will enlight you more. If you are a retard then drugs will enhance your retardation.

So true

I wish I could find some of that

>studying pure math rigorously until I reach a plateau

You're a faggot OP and you'll never succeed. Math isn't about knowing things, its about finding a new way to think about things.

You could seriously fuck up your life doing this.

If life is about fucking it up pursuing something. Your life will be fucked to the max, and you achieved the purpose of life.

If life is about risk management and being good at being normal, you would just be fucking destroying it for no reason and you should study CS and read the latest edition of Stewart.

I like how did a decent job balancing the value of the two, for it to be distinguished by the reader's already established perspective

>Math isn't about knowing things, its about finding a new way to think about things.
That's actually exactly what I mean
I probably have some kind of special snowflake mental issue, but I'm certainly not a schizoid genius like Godel or Cantor or whatever
So I'd use drugs after reaching a decent level to allow me to enhance perspective on my built on understanding of things
I'm not just going to memorize proofs, I mean studying as in see what's been done and how I can push that even further

> psychedelics
you should star abusing amphetamines until you can get to the top level

Already on that
I found when I started abstract algebra and axiomatic set theory for BS in math, that my optimal performance in terms of understanding the content and working through it was when I took adderal and smoked a fair amount of weed, I internalize the content more cohesively and it's what made me start thinking of the potential of drug use in a controlled matter

>Doesn't have to be an issue if the only thing you care about is finding the mathematical truth for your own enjoyment and don't give a crap about what people think. But how many people in our world are like that? Not many percent.

I legitimately started studying math in a recreational matter when I started doing my introductory math undergrad course and number theory, so I do feel that I have the potential to be an asset

Underrated pic OP

th-thanks m8~

I think OP decided already.

If you go on tangents while you study at a university, you will fuck up your grades. Be normal or find truth; you can't have both. Personally, I don't think you will get very far on your own, and risk management is the way to go. Just be a pussy and give into the system. Even if you proved positive vs. not positive, no one would listen to you, and everything you know would just be for yourself.

I mean I know how to balance it fairly well, the only thing is that I just probably delay the process
But I don't mind, I was regarded as a "prodigy" at one point but not anymore because I got slightly distracted and didn't keep up as well anymore
But surely if I slowly increase my relevance with enough publishing, like throwing spaghetti to the wall, something will stick

>we found him dead in a pile of drugs, chief
>looks like a mixture of powdered tylenol and granola
>looks like he was working on some sort of advanced mathematics before he croaked
>
>what if there was a square root of negative one
>

>>what if there was a square root of negative one
wtf I love complex analysis now

I think you'll think it's a legitimate breakthrough that way. But you probably will anyway

>I think you'll think it's a legitimate breakthrough that way. But you probably will anyway
w-what?

>Mathematical truth, in the same way that it happens with other areas, it's worthless if not used in a greater context. Mankind's achievements happen by cooperation.
there is not truth in math dumdum

In principle a good idea, two corrections though.

1. You develop faster if you work together with other, like-minded (don't overlook this part, it is important) individuals. So more like a monastery than a hermit's cell. Can also be online.

2. Instead of math you should work on artificial general intelligence, this way you can get an artificial superintelligence and then everything else (including math knowledge)