So if trump keeps his promises and removes regulations from coorporations will it usher in a new age of technological...

So if trump keeps his promises and removes regulations from coorporations will it usher in a new age of technological and scientific wonders?

Will we finally progress towards the fabled cyberpunk dystopian future?

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-10/trump-s-transition-team-pledges-to-dismantle-dodd-frank-act
cbsnews.com/news/who-is-scott-pruitt-donald-trump-environmental-protection-agency-epa/
cnbc.com/2016/12/06/these-stocks-could-benefit-the-most-from-trumps-deregulation-jpmorgan-says.html
nationalreview.com/article/430266/donald-trump-bribes-politicians-and-boasts-about-it
usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/06/09/donald-trump-unpaid-bills-republican-president-laswuits/85297274/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Stagnation
gwynnedyer.com/2007/slow-forward/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't exactly know what regulations are being removed...so to throw a post in to clarify...what are the regulations that are being lifted? Link?

Well, I voted for him because I saw posted here that he promised to make anime real. I hope he delivers on that. On the rest I don't care.

Mainly financial regulation and environmental regulation.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-10/trump-s-transition-team-pledges-to-dismantle-dodd-frank-act
cbsnews.com/news/who-is-scott-pruitt-donald-trump-environmental-protection-agency-epa/
cnbc.com/2016/12/06/these-stocks-could-benefit-the-most-from-trumps-deregulation-jpmorgan-says.html

None of the regulations he wants to repeal have anything to do with tech progress

all you may get is a boost in cronyism, manipulative financial practices and black shit in the sky, depending on what he actually pulls back

I can't believe retards think hes going to be a good president shit is ridiculous

Well, that is a big part of cyberpunk.

Americans think the financial crisis was caused by too much government regulation, so of course they would think someone promising deregulation is great. They think government is the problem and big business should be able to write its own rules.

I supported Hillary, but voted for Trump just to prove a point, and I'm sitting back in my comfy job to laugh at my fellow Americans.

We have been deregulating for what, 40 years now? Has society become better or worse since then? You be the judge.

Removing regulation doesn't necessarily mean we get innovation. Innovation comes when bright minds provide something new for existing demand.

The regulations Trump seeks to lax will probably just lead to stronger oligarchies in existing industries.

>The regulations Trump seeks to lax will probably just lead to stronger oligarchies in existing industries.

Do you think that is anything other than the republican agenda? Their ideology is just a nice yarn to spin for the plebians to talk debate over.

What do we need first: murderous androids or transhumanist augmentation?

I think transhumanism at least comes before the androids get all murder-happy. You need to get the transhumanism ball rolling before people start to really mistrust technology on account of their toaster trying to strangle them.

How have we not been progressing towards it

it's all around us

we stare at a screen all day and ingest media narratives like drones

/pol/??

/pol/ absolutely adores Trump. Veeky Forums is actually one of the only boards where there are people critical of Trump.

Not to get /pol/ but...Us Americans are pretty retarded, especially the voters. I haven't really met an American who was so deluded to say this, but apparently the truth is that you're right, many Americans do think that too much regulation somehow caused the financial crash, even though it's completely untrue and deregulation (or the non-existence of any regulation to be technical) is what caused the crash more than anything. AAA credit ratings for everyone!

Canada has never had a serious financial crash despite heavy regulation since the country was founded.

Us Americans are retarded.

Murderous augmentations.

Well, to be fair the US did have a good run for a while with no major bank failures like the 2008 crisis. After the great depression, regulations were put into place that helped to prevent that sort of thing and they worked well for a long time. We just kind of forgot why those regulations were important after a few decades and started backing them out. So there was a time when we got this stuff right, maybe we'll be able to again some day?

Ah, who am I kidding.

>Americans do think that too much regulation somehow caused the financial crash
Kind of a straw man. The real argument is that bailouts created a moral hazard.

The booster of scientific advancements is usually the properly funded(by government) scientists rather than the corporations who only tries to benefit the most by engineering and representing the advancements to the crowd

Except that the bailouts happened after the crash, they weren't the cause of it. Nor was there any guarantee of a bailout prior to the crash beyond the fact that the banks were simply allowed to grow so large that just letting them collapse would have been catastrophic. And that was a product of deregulation, not regulation.

Previously, the federal government would block mergers that it considered dangerous to the overall health of the economy. That government regulation prevented the banks from getting so big that they could take down the whole economy. Banks occasionally failed, but no one heard much about it because they tended to be smaller, more local failures that came and went without endangering the larger economy. Then in the 80s and 90s, the federal government stopped blocking mergers and just let the banks do as they please, letting them merge together into giant monstrosities that could collapse the entire US economy if they failed.

>If you don't think that corporations are people and they shouldn't be in charge than you are for welfare for aborted gay married fetuses

Pretty much

>it usher in a new age of technological and scientific wonders?

I wouldn't have thought so, its more likely that the US will end up looking like a white version of China.

After reading the regulations...
I genuinely think so user D:

>Captcha: Zone Ends 0_0

this and this.

More like steampunk.

Oh man, at least half the comments in this thread are well thought out. I can finally ask this one question I've had during the whole election.

One of Trump's positive points, regardless of what else people think of him, is that he represented going against the typical "corrupt politician hungry for power" schema.

Ignoring everything else about Trump and other politicians and everything, what effect do that attribute have as a president? If someone becomes a president based on the fact they go against the idea of a corrupt politician, will it have an impact on the country at all? What kind of impact?

Is America gonna become even more counter-culture?

>So if trump keeps his promises and removes regulations from coorporations will it usher in a new age of technological and scientific wonders?

It depends if the only deregulation that takes place is what points to it probably won't. Regulation at the macro level usually influences corporate expansion, national employment, gdp surplus/ deficit and debt accruement rates.

At best Trump can lower the debt and minimize unemployment with a policy like that. But technology won't all of a sudden explode in innovation because his policies isn't necessarily tackling need/solution based strategies at the micro (individual and market) level. Nor is it addressing academic and intellectual property issues.

>Will we finally progress towards the fabled cyberpunk dystopian future?

Nope, we're still stuck on LGBT rights and there hasn't been a systematic crash in religious organizations to allow nihilistic attitudes to be widespread beyond the web.

If you want cyber punk dystopia go to China.

>One of Trump's positive points, regardless of what else people think of him, is that he represented going against the typical "corrupt politician hungry for power" schema.
Only in that he is even more blatantly corrupt. While most politicians try to at least pretend to be on the level, Trump actually boasts about how corrupt he is.

How so?

Well, he brags about bribing people in order to get away with breaking the law.
nationalreview.com/article/430266/donald-trump-bribes-politicians-and-boasts-about-it

A more specific example, look at Trump University. Several states were considering fraud charges against him, and he repeatedly bought off their state attorneys general in order to get away with it. In Texas, when Greg Abbott was attorney general and Texas was building a fraud case against Trump University, Trump gave Abbott $25,000 for his campaign for governor and in return he dropped the case. Same thing happened in Florida. State attorney general Pam Bondi was considering a fraud case against Trump and dropped it after he gave her $25,000.

He also all-but-explicitly stated that he evades his taxes and that doing so makes him 'smart', as well as literally recommending from personal experience how to sexually assault someone.

> If someone becomes a president based on the fact they go against the idea of a corrupt politician, will it have an impact on the country at all? What kind of impact?
It means that you can be even more absurdly greedy and corrupt than usual and still get elected. He breaks the mold by going to an even greater extreme.

It also demonstrates that you can be elected despite an utter contempt for pesky things like "facts." Just look at Trump's claims about vaccines and autism, or global warming, or the effectiveness of torture.

Tax avoidance is actually perfectly legal technique for people to practice. You walk a thin line and make sure you don't fall into evasion.
Not saying that excuses all the other shit, but he is right on the fact that reading the books (or paying someone else to do it) and find all the loopholes you can possibly exploit is a smart idea.

He specifically seeks out relatively small businesses so that he can refuse to pay them when the job is done and then threaten to bankrupt them with a long, drawn out court battle if they try to sue him to get the money he owes them. At that point, a small business that doesn't have the money to go up against him in court has to just eat the loss.

usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/06/09/donald-trump-unpaid-bills-republican-president-laswuits/85297274/

Well, take a look at his cabinet if you doubt how corrupt he is. A Goldman Sachs executive running the Treasury Department, the Goldman Sachs President as his chief economic advisor, and a Goldman Sachs lawyer as the head of the SEC. He's got the CEO of ExxonMobile as the secretary of state when he has a 500 billion dollar deal riding on getting rid of the sanctions against Russia. Then he's bringing in one of his top donors, Linda McMahon of the WWE to head the small business administration, the very sort of pay to play that he criticized other people for and claims that he is above. He's even giving his own son-in-law a salaried White House position as an advisor.

That's a dick move, but it's not stupid. It's pretty smart given his resources.
Honestly we need laws in place to prevent the rich from abusing the legal system like this because it's apparent they can play this game with anyone, even local/county governments, which in turn basically puts them above the law because they can bankrupt a county pursuing criminal charges should they break a law. Something like fixed court and lawyer costs, instead of costs which add over time. Or a time limit on reaching a verdict. Something has to stop people from using money to stretch cases until the other side goes under.

Some countries in Europe use a "loser pays" system. This means that if your case is solid, you can pursue it even without much in the way of resources and rely on the fact that the opponent will pay your costs. There are even attorneys who will delay payment if the case is good, so you can pay them after you win using money that you get out of the other side to pay your legal expenses. This also works in reverse, discouraging people from bringing frivolous claims because if they lose they are on the hook for both sides' costs.

The US, however, uses a system where everyone pays their own attorney's fees, which means that if the claim isn't for a whole lot you could end up losing money even if you win because it costs more to pursue the claim than you could ever get out of it. This system means that the size of your claim matters so much that even if your claim is completely legitimate, you might still be locked out because you can't possibly get enough to afford the long, drawn out court battle.

Under a "loser pays" system, someone who got cheated by Trump could take him to court, fight it out, and ultimately extract their legal expenses from Trump along with their claim. Under the current "everyone pays their own fees" system, he can just say "I'll make it more expensive than your claim" and at that point the person would just end up hurting themselves if they continued to pursue it.

People in this thread aren't calling him stupid, they're calling him corrupt, greedy, and contemptuous of truth.

Entering into a contract and then cheating people out of the money that he promised them by running and hiding behind a team of attorneys paid with daddy's money qualifies as those things.

Now ask yourself this, how can anime be real if our eyes aren't real?

No, anti-intellectualism won't induce an avalanche of technological progress.

i wish we had more cyberpunk threads on Veeky Forums

every now and then there's a cyberpunk thread on /g/ but everyone there is literally retarded and most of them are hardly even good with technology

Veeky Forums is full of retards too but i think there is a far greater amount of actually intelligent people here with a far greater range of expertise that could survive in a cyberpunk world

maybe next time we can have one without the political shitstorm

that's because academics are all left wing shills.

>circlejerking "intellectual" academia produces technological progress

>trump
>keeps his promises
Lmfao

Did George Bush usher a new age of technological and scientific wonders?

For me as a european I can't believe how dumb you americans are. How could you so quickly forget how awful Bush was and vote in somebody who is basically Bush on steroids?

Because we Americans have to learn the hard way.

Its going to be a good 4 years watching Trump supporters cry as he "makes America great again."

Hes nothing like bush. Bush will go down as one of the most influential presidents in human history. Trump is an isolationist who has little regard for other people around the world. Bush went thru the biggest attack on US soil and the 07 financial meltdown thats been building from crony wallstreet and bankers from the 80s. Bush was a man who well adapt in human history and understood the way forward and was a sound good moral man.

It was only a matter of time before /pol/ arrived.

It was a nice thread while it lasted

desu i don't care for trump that much but it's 10 times better than hillary

this

Trump put an anti-vaccer to a vaccine safety commission, a global warming denier to head the EPA, and a creationist to run education.

The Trump administration is a disaster for science.

>Bush will go down as one of the most influential presidents in human history.
t. Bush

Well, that is a question for Trump and the intelligence agencies/scientists who would work on making his new anime legislation reality.

I don't care. I just voted for it to happen and now I'm waiting.

>implying he won't take us to the stars
Stay mad hill shill

>So if trump keeps his promises and removes regulations from coorporations will it usher in a new age of technological and scientific wonders?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Stagnation

gwynnedyer.com/2007/slow-forward/

tl;dr all the low-hanging fruit of productivity has been plucked and it now takes massive investments of resources for merely marginal improvements.

The future will be dystopian like you wouldn't believe.

It will take a lot longer than 4 years for America to realize that it made a mistake, and even then that will only be because the baby boomers who supported Trump are eventually going to die off. No one is actually going to change their minds, that's just not the way people work. Trump's supporters will never stop supporting him no matter how much he fucks up.

Trump is going to be president for 8 years, and the Republicans will likely retain total control of the entire federal government for several more decades.