Is China the most scientifically backwards place in history for its size? I have never heard of any Einsteins, Newtons...

Is China the most scientifically backwards place in history for its size? I have never heard of any Einsteins, Newtons, Feynmans, Ramanujans, or Al-Khawarizi's from China. Why is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mathematics
mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeFactorization.html
zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/杨辉三角形
baike.baidu.com/item/杨辉三角
baike.baidu.com/item/帕斯卡三角形/5816406
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I have never heard of any Einsteins, Newtons, Feynmans, Ramanujans, or Al-Khawarizi's from China.
no wonder. none of this names sounds remotely chinese

You're a smelly, dumb undergrad scum who only has a superficial familiarity with big names from popsci sources.

Too mystic and esoteric for you.

Besides, Tao trumps them all.

Give him another 5+ years and he'll go down as the greatest mathematician.

Taoism? What does that have to do with anything?

So none of the Chinese scientists are intelligent enough to do anything worthy of being mentioned by the rest of humanity like ever?

K got it.

Get off this board.

Yeah, sure. Please just go back to your own board and come back when you're done with undergrad. We have enough shitposting underclassmen and you're not as funny or clever as you think you are, you're just lame.

"If I came up tomorrow with... a simple test for whether a number's prime, internet security would collapse..."
t. Terence Tao

Please tell me how any intelligent human being could say something so retarded?

If anything, it's the blacks. Tell me any great black Mathematician or Physicist. None. I was surprised too. Broke all my belief. /pol/ is always right.

Dude, nobody considers black people human when discussing human accomplishments. It's a given.

Cryptography or something.
There are smart chinese but you won't fucking remember their names because you're a westerner and if you actually liven in Asia, you would know some smart Asians as well.

Einstien-tier genius? Doubt it.

Well, who knows?

You know how the chink goverment is, you will never know about them since they're monitored 24/7 and only the lucky smart chinese went to the US and became professors at some universities.

There are many Einstein-tier geniuses of all races, even some blacks but that's the most rare.
Remember that polymath Nigerian engineer?
>inb4 engineers are fags

Do you consider Terence Tao Gauss-tier?

No but really, really close.

Also Tao is just 41, he will live like 60+ years more since he is a great mind and i don't think anybody wants him to die, unless he didn't want any medicine or surgery of course.

because you have no culture

their traditional medicine works, they had architecture, chemistry, mechanics, astrology, navigation way more advanced and way before than Europe during Renaissance

kek if you think finishing gradschool makes you anything at all or that an undergrad has less culture than you for being an undergrad, you are a pathetic loser

China had a restrictive culture that promoted conservatism.

Wow really? That's interesting...

op has a point though. i know of several groundbreaking inventions the chinese had way before the europeans (paper, compass, gun powder,...) but i never heard the name of any single chinese inventor/genius.

that wasn't terrence tao you FUCKWIT

it was adam spencer

Chinese mathematicians discovered Pascal's triangle almost a thousand years before Pascal did. Quite a few things are like that: Paper, printing press, blast furnace, crossbow, synthetic insulin, etc. Our history is eurocentric. Columbus discovered America because something isn't discovered until Europeans discover it.

probably because ots a communist country with no patent rights. these invntions are considered invetioms by the community for the community.

>Pascal's triangle
yeah, but WHICH chinese mathematician. In europe it's called Pascal's triangle, because Pascal discovered it. Who would be China's counterpart?

You literally just need to check wikipedia. We won't spoonfeed your racist delusions.

This. It's still called Pascal's triangle, not fucking chingzhaochingadunga triangle.

Okay, you name all those things, but WHO discovered them?

did that, and his name is Jia Xian. Was awkwardly hard to find though.

In addition to that, is it still called Pascal's triangle in China, or do they call it Xian's triangle, or some other name?

Mate, a fucking Pascal's triangle doesn't make you Einstein-tier. It's a retarded child's experiment. Anyone can come up with it. Hence, my point remains.

So why did it take white people so long to come up with it then?

The yuros did discover America tho.
Vikings strong.

White people are racist. No shit.

kek

the reason why most scientific innovations are attributed to europeans is because europe is responsible for globalization and conquest that other nations never were able to accomplish on a similar scale.

It actually is called yang hui's triangle in china, we don't call it yang hui's triangle in english speaking countries primarily because that knowledge wasn't spread to europe by the chinese, it was popularized by pascal.

The linguistic and geological barriers that have long separated the east from the west explains why we don't call these theories by the name of the person who discovered it first way better than the liberal tears hot button of racism that apparently needs to be applied to everything. Fuck off, retards.

t. ching chong

It's not even that important of a discovery. When you get scientists anywhere near the caliber of the ones mentioned in OP, then come and talk.

In China, people who claimed that everything people did before them was wrong, were not really welcomed. And unlike in Europe, China actually always had a very strong central government to really make these people shut up. Europe did not, and at some point the dutch even invented a "open society"-theory, that pretty much explicitly invited people to try to be as revolutionizing as possible. This was copied by the british, and the rest is history. So the reason why truly revolutionizing geniuses like Galileo Galilei, Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein didn't exist in China is because Chinese didn't like revolutions of any kind.

For a country that pretends to be a civilization on its own, one would expect a better scientific and exploratory community than this shithole.

WE

>taking credit for other people's achievements cause you have none of your own

You seriously don't get the...nevermind you're from Reddit I see.

>doesn't get the reference to Tao
>accuses other people of being reddit
Fuck off this board /pol/tard

Wow, what a sad but true representation of reality.

Tao is famous because his name is Terence.
Ching Chang Xio Ping Pongs are not going to stick in any westerner's mind.

It's a joke you fucking idiot. Please don't tell me I'm being trolled.

Benjamin Banneker

>Benjamin Banneker

Not a mathematician or physicist.

That's racist.
I mean it's one thing to discuss the scientific contribution of Chinese people.
No need to make fun of their names.

Their seclusion made most of their mathematics virtually unknown until recently. And much of their records from ancient times are fragmented. They were more advanced at some periods but never developed an axiomatic system like the Greeks.

They were reasonably advanced pre enlightenment. Some discoveries include

>basic modern mathematics before 0BC (pythagorean theorem, simultaneous equations, negative numbers, square root, Gaussian elimination)
>after 0BC (pi a millennium before Europe found it, unrigiorous calculus, multiplication/division 500 years before Al Khwarimzi, quadratics)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mathematics

But he's right. RSA would be decrypted and you could read almost every transmission.

It's used to demonstrate binomial coefficients

>That's racist.

>Su Song
>Pan Cheng/dong
>Pao-Lus Hsu
>Gu Chao/hao
>Shing-Tung Yau

No it's not.
Even Yau (the Fields medalist) doesn't stick.
On the other hand I find Chern easier to remember since it sounds Russian.
Fuck off.

We were talking about scientific contribution and merit.
And now you are attacking names.

>no one remembers names like Tao or Hsu are unmemorable

Speak for yourself. Groethendick is much less memorable for me.

Me again.
The only whole name I remember is Gang Tian.
Gang is an English word.
How many complete names of Chinese mathematicians did you know before this thread?

>And now you are attacking names.
You are a complete moron.
>Is China the most scientifically backwards place in history for its size? I have never heard of any Einsteins, Newtons, Feynmans, Ramanujans, or Al-Khawarizi's from China. Why is this?
The answer is that (there are certainly valuable Chinese mathematicians but) their names don't stick.

>Speak for yourself. Groethendick is much less memorable for me.
You remember Tao because the name is Terence.
I remember Tian because his name is Gang.
You find it hard to remember Grothendieck because you're not used to words like that.
You're making my point brainlet.

>not mentioning Ibn Al-Haytham
U suck Lel

All that this prooves is that the chinese are better scientists but worst admen

I think the Chinese would disagree with you.

They probably have more trouble with European names, especially non-Biblical ones.

Asians are more like ants.
Many decent ones, but no one truly great.
Opposite of Europeans.

Chinese are weird. My friends host wealthy Chinese exchange students every year, and they have all been extremely suspicious of western medicine. One came down with some kind of stomach bug, and said she felt like her stomach was on fire, and refused to go to the doctors, and instead insisted that she just take her 'Japanese diet pills' that came in these over the top colorful packages. This went on until she nearly passed out and they were forced to take her to the ER.

>he's never heard of calabi-yau manifolds
>he thinks he knows shit about mathematics

It's true that you would expect more mathematical output for their size, but that's because of the bad societal incentives for academics over there, not because of their ability. This is shown by the fact that diaspora do very well at mathematics in america and europe.

China is what happens when you surrender to superstition and mediocrity.

Modern China is slowly reversing that cancerous culture.

he's right you fucking /pol/ tier retard, kill yourself

mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeFactorization.html
>Through his invention of the Pratt certificate, Pratt (1975) became the first to establish that prime factorization lies in the complexity class NP.
REEEEEEEEEE LEARN WHAT RSA IS FAGGOT

>I was only pretending to be retarded lol ;)

Prime factorization is NP, but checking a number's primality is P.

Let me tell you why: They've been brainwashed by their government to distrust Western medicine. I'm not joking or exaggerating - I was in China last year for business, but went for a trip to the Wall on an off day. Afterwards, we were treated to a 'complimentary foot massage' which was essentially a propaganda session bashing Western medicine.

They told me that, while Western doctors require machines, blood samples and patient contact to diagnose a person, a Chinese doctor doesn't need all these fancy tools because he's so much more talented - he can see what's wrong with you by just looking at your tongue and your hands. What he actually does is ask you a vague question like 'Do you sometimes get an upset stomach after eating?' which almost everyone will answer 'yes' to (which is basically cold reading) and then prescribe you some bullshit $200 herbs. The guy told me I had indigestion and that my stomach was upset. I actually happened to be feeling like shit at the time because I had a fever, and he didn't even notice this. He would have if he'd asked me basic medical questions or felt my forehead. This guy was apparently an actual medical doctor there.

I did some research later when I got back home (because the government blocks most websites), and apparently this attitude was something introduced by Mao to sell people placebos. This way, the government hardly has to spend any money on medical reimbursements and the people feel like they've been helped.

It's similar when it comes to, say, internet and stuff. They will go to immense lengths to defend the restrictions their government places on their internet, blocking things like Facebook and all Google sites.

This attitude tends to change once they come to labs here, but only if the labs aren't occupied completely by other Chinese people.

That's depressing.

>I did some research later when I got back home (because the government blocks most websites), and apparently this attitude was something introduced by Mao to sell people placebos. This way, the government hardly has to spend any money on medical reimbursements and the people feel like they've been helped.
sorry to break it to you little kidde capitalist boy with no education of the real world.

but western medicine is shit at treating minor and major ailments

minor ailments dont get treated cause even if the pills treat the symptom they dont treat the cause and they create new symptom

so, you have a headache because of your shitty way of life and obsesing about feminine bodies on tv that you cant have? you go to a doctor, he gives you an aspirin, (aspirins are confirmed to cause ulcers)

so you go back home take the aspirin and the brainpain goes away and an ulcer is created

you go to the doctor with head and stomach pain
so he gives you ulcer medication which causes constipation and indigestion

and so on and so on and so on

on the other hand, the chinaman was just feeling sad because something, went to the doctor, took some herbs that confirmedly (according to western science) treat the symptom btu also make him feel relaxed and makes the CAUSE go away

no capitalism medicine bullshit

youll have to be a little retarded idiot non knower of reality,, forever confirmed a mamas boy who never got out of the basement to even attempt to think that people in western countries are healthy and that medicine ahs been succesful in relieving all their symptoms

>on the other hand, the chinaman was just feeling sad because something, went to the doctor, took some herbs that confirmedly (according to western science) treat the symptom btu also make him feel relaxed and makes the CAUSE go away
>no capitalism medicine bullshit
lol

seriously, western medical peer reviewd sciency scientist so so so so so so so hard and tangible that you cant deny it wihtout peeing on maxwell and darwainn and all other scientist because they are the scientist more accurate test they are done by mmm god tier universities that you even tough you support the western cannot even dream of entering (haha no harvard for you even tough you defen capitalism little boy) they all confirmed as OBJECTIVE LITERAL FACT that chinese herbal medicine works

Not really. That's a minority and has nothing to do with their government. It's to do with the base culture and mentality of many Chinese people. Why make a random accusation towards their government and a generalisation of an entire nation of which has several hundred ethnic groups, with 56 of them being the main ones (>1 million members) and is culturally different between each town and city?

>I think the Chinese would disagree with you.
Are you a genius or something?

It's in bold in the history section.
Also, on the Chinese version, the article starts off like this:
>杨辉三角形,又称賈憲三角形、帕斯卡三角形、海亚姆三角形,是二项式係數在的一种写法,形似三角形,在中国首现于南宋杨辉的《详解九章算术》得名,书中杨辉说明是引自贾宪的《释锁算术》,故又名贾宪三角形。
Google translation:
>Yang Hui triangle, also known as Jia Xian triangle, Pascal triangle, Haiyam triangle, is a binomial coefficient in a way, the shape of a triangle in China is the first in the Southern Song Yang Hui's "Detailed Chapter nine arithmetic" name, the book Yang Hui is quoted from Jia Xian's "release lock arithmetic", it is also known as Jia Xian triangle.
zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/杨辉三角形

Meanwhile Baidu has two articles. WTF commies? The "Yang Hui" (杨辉) article seems to be the main one based on the length, although most of that is generating the triangle in several different programming languages:
baike.baidu.com/item/杨辉三角
baike.baidu.com/item/帕斯卡三角形/5816406

You just picked a shit doctor. Or maybe they really threat their patients this bad solely to keep the population down

Please stop "contributing" /pol/. You know nothing about mathematics.

The Chinese knowing about Pascal's triangle long at all is not at all surprising.

There are a lot of ancient theorems already pioneered by the Chinese and earlier civilizations. There's a few ancient math texts out there containing a lot of surprising results.

When Euclid wrote his books on geometry he didn't contribute much of anything as far as the current mathematical knowledge at his time was concerned, however instead he developed the axiomatic method and that revolutionized the way we approach mathematics. Many basic results were later 'proven' in this new approach and thus rediscovered and popularized by other mathematicians (at times without prior knowledge of said result).

Dude's Australian-American by citizenship, though. Were he raised in China things might've been a bit different.

You're right man. Pythagoras and Eudoxus were the main contributors of the material in the Elements if I remember correctly.

God, the history of Geometry is as old as civilization.

I think the reason for this is the difference between the western culture of focusing on individualism instead of eastern collectivism.

This is probably the only true/best argument.

my chinese professor said because traditionally they were focused on more utilitarian discoveries due to their more collectivist nature

Hello. My name is Simon.

China succumbed to its own glory.

They act they way they do because the have no 'time tense' in their words. eat/ate/eaten.

Would you like further assistance?

detecting primes are easy as fuck, if the number is only divisible by itself and 1, it's a prime kek

how fucking retarded are you brainlets?