Would it be possible to terraform our Moon? How would its climate interact with ours if it were possible?

Would it be possible to terraform our Moon? How would its climate interact with ours if it were possible?

pic related

I don't think it has enough gravity to make an atmosphere feasible.

This is just conjecture, I don't have a piece of paper saying I know more than plebs.

>I don't think it has enough gravity to make an atmosphere feasible.
This is true. Basically you'd have to keep introducing atmosphere from somewhere to make up for the gradual loss of atmosphere into space over time.

I don't think that the moon's soil can grow things, even if there were atmosphere and water, correct me if i'm wrong

Pretty much just as impossible as terraforming any other lifeless piece of rock in our solar system.

It's just economies of scale. It would take an impossibly long time and more wealth than exists to terraform say, Mars, RIGHT NOW. If we had 1000 spaceships, it would be easier.

It's just a matter of time and energy (and money).

Wouldn't the Earth steal the moon's atmosphere?

A basic google search shows that we can

Not enough gravity

Forget the atmosphere, the Moon is tidally locked. A 708 hour day would be pretty crummy for a stable climate.

Are you sure? I mean, I know it's not as much as Earth. But it's not all that bad...

Is it gravity? I always assumed it was the lack of a magnetic field.

>drill to core
>inject 10 billion tons of iron
>detonate 10,000 nukes to start 'er spinning
>carpet bomb the fuck out of the planet with vacuum safe bacteria
>wait 3 billion years

done and done

The Moon is scheduled to hit the Earth in 1.5 billion years, killing everyone within 100 miles of its impact point.

If humans can crack technology that can manipulate gravity then yes. Otherwise, no. I suppose the low tech way to do it is to make the entire moon a giant greenhouse. mitebcool

The gravity is the real killer, humans who lived there would suffer terribly from bone weakness and would be unable to return to Earth. No magnetosphere just means you have to live under domes / underground, but ultra-low gravity is a real problem.

Couldn't they just wear weighted clothing?

>killing everyone within 100 miles of its impact point.

what?

The Moon is pretty big, when it collides with Earth it will cause a lot of damage.

>cause a lot of damage.

It would send us back the Hadean Era. But its not going to collide anyway, its getting further away.

>[citation required]
There is no study in intermediate gravity. We just know what happens at microgravity and at 1g.

what's the point of terraforming the moon?

if anything's going to destroy the earth/make it inhabitable then it's going to fuck the moon as well

>what's the point of terraforming the moon?

So we can live there and it gives us something to do.

Practice for terraforming elsewhere.

The moon's regolith (it has no soil) could be turned into soil using engineered plants and bacteria.

Should turn the moon into a penal colony; free labor for helium extraction and gives us the chance to practice human habitation outside the Earth.

In a few hundred years they can establish a nation and shitpost on Veeky Forums in the wee hours.

What would that solve besides sticking to the ground?

I think he was suggesting you were underestimating the damage. If the moon hit the earth, everything would die.

>what's the point of terraforming the moon?
It's small, close, and would allow most of the potential problems to get solved much quicker than if we kept sending supplies back and forth to, say, Mars instead. Especially since Mars could be on the other side of the Sun (max of 225 million km, min of 54.6 million km) where the Moon is 384,472 km.

Better going to Mars. It already has some atmosphere, which can be augmented by melting frozen CO2. And it has a proper day/night cycle so doesn't get the extreme temperature variations of the Moon.

The distance isn't that big a deal if you have a cycler cruise ship thing to live on during the journey.

Okay, seriously, why isn't Europa ever considered for colonization?

I would think having water would be pretty damn important.

Wouldn't it be more viable to build an underground civilization with an underground ocean than to transport water from Earth to Mars/Moon/etc.?

Maintaining an atmosphere is extremely easy I heard, just replace more than the sun can strip in millions of years.

>Okay, seriously, why isn't Europa ever considered for colonization?
monolith said its not ours

Sure. All you'd need to do is increase the atmosphere faster than it's lost to space.

Sure it just wouldnt look like earth, you would need some dense gases to give it an atmosphere that will kill us.

It will kill everything and everyone retard. Literally only primordial microbes could survive that impact.

it's not about the solar wind, you idiot, the moon literally doesn't have enough gravity to keep gas molecules at standard temperature from escaping.

I'm sure it could be done with super advanced technology and a fuckton of resources. It would probably make more sense to build a ton of space stations and use the moon for what it is now.