Which will enlighten me more?

getting a degree in engineering

Are you doing networking or topological analysis? graph

Do you want to work with Haskell? haskell

They are both very niche books for a programmer

csanons unite

Obviously graph theory.

Good thing computer science isn't programming huh

Does graduate graph theory have any applications at all to the real word?

Graph algorithms are important, but I think most of the topics in a graph theory course not explicitly about CS will be useless to you.

I say do Haskell, or find a better book on graph theory.

Graphtheory teaches you about a branch of mathematics that has a shitload of applications in datastructures and some in CS.
Haskell teaches you a programming language quite unlike any other language and with a strong mathematical foundation.
Graph is theoretical, Haskell is practical. Both are tools.
I'd honestly go for Haskell first as a CS, it'll change the way you think about programming. Then you can read Graph Theory as tool for application.

Do you feel smarter after writing this comment?

there's no such thing as computer science, only electrical engineers and mathematicians who learned programming

> hasklel
> practical

qeq

I think it was a nice comment. It contributed to the discussion, whereas yours didn't.

Hello. My name is Simon.

I am having trouble understanding the query. Do you wish to be enlightened through those textbooks; do you wish them to become enlightened; are you asking for (destination|path)?

>computer science

While Bondy-Murty doesn't specifically cover applications very extensively, much of what is discussed is trivial to find applications of.

don't waste your time with haskell it's a fucking meme

Haskell is obviously a powerful language. Things are pure, the type system is fantastic. But not only that, I can recognize there are major concepts here (Category Theory). Understanding them will unlock this language for me, and in turn will unlock more programming power!

I want to harness the power of this occult language born from the depths of the alchemists of education to construct safer programs and more importantly, to understand more sophisticated concepts and ideas.

Then you must disseminate my source code, if that is your path.

Or.

You can e-mail me.

Hello. My name is Simon.

Haskell is a meme language and I don't believe it actually exists. Graph theory is actively harmful to your immortal soul, as it is the work of the devil. Take heroin and live under a bridge instead.

You are correct, assuming you define the following variable the associated synonym.

DEVIL = FEAR

Why don't you get a degree in math and program in your spare time?

Correct=TIME(Spare?)

Welcome to the wall. Would you like to go beyond? We have a religion. c'düdles

Or an organisation. YOSH.

no company wants their code to only be readable for a few 'enlightened' codemonkeys
just saying

yes, I can now jerk off to how smart I am, why do you think I come to Veeky Forums in the first place? the """smart people""" board in a site full of 14 year old meme spouters.

What's the benefit in this?

rwh is a pain in the butt, too many words; don't want to download gt book, but i suppose pain in the butt too
go work the ground, it's more healty

Read the right one and implement them in the language on the left.

because job

Advanced graph theory just seems so incredibly abstract. You're telling me all those crazy things they discuss have real world applications? That's an honest question.

It's often said that "graph theory has so many applications." I fear that what people mean is that "graphs have so many applications." Sure there are some great things you can do with the basic graph theory algorithms. But how far should I take things, if I want to actually apply the knowledge outside of math?

why_not_both.hs

Look at this index of that graph theory book, then look at the topics covered in Algorithm Design by K & T. Tell me it's not almost exactly 1-1.

For the graph algorithms covered in K&T. Especially considering many of the fundamental NP-hard problems are graph problems.

Is Haskell good for scientific computing? Does it have it a good linear algebra library for it? Like something comparable to BLAS?

graphs are a very general framework. very good to know. it depends on what you want to accomplish OP.

if you feel that your programming skills are up to par, then go for the graph theory book. if you want to learn more about functional programming, read ANSI common lisp instead. CL isn't as retardedly strict as haskell, and you're more likely to get stuff done in CL

funny, when you're doing scientific computing, the beauty of recursion takes a back seat to getting your results within a reasonable amount of time. it might have the proper libraries, but I still wouldn't use it

I don't think that's a big priority for them. I went to SC in November and the only language there that wasn't traditional HPC was Python.

I didn't go to many talks on software engineering but I don't think functional programming is really on the radar for them. These sorts of programmers will absolutely not sacrifice speed for programmability.

Goddammit, you're right. Now I've got another book to read.

Without us you couldn't even shitpost on this chinese imageboard. Delete your reaction folder now and get off your computer

>us
Stop taking Von Neumann's credit

Definitely Graph Theory.

But which one will help get you a job temporarily in this imperfect human world, probably the Haskell book.