How close are we to having the technology so I can erase certain memories of mine and experience different things like...

How close are we to having the technology so I can erase certain memories of mine and experience different things like video games or movies for the first time over and over again indefinitely? Is this even possible Veeky Forums or do I read to much Science Fiction?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_erasure
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

well, just open your brain and take a knife and cut a few nerves. im sure youll hit some memories.
gud luck m8.

Not close at all. It would be one thing if memories were nearly stored in small regions but they're actually stored in relatively spread out neural networks.

Can't w8!

Will we ever be close or will it forever stay in the realm of Science Fiction?

Memories are very heavily integrated into brain matter.

Altering them without destroying your brain appears impossible with current science and tech. In addition, finding them would also be nearly impossible. The act of finding them could destroy the memories.

If invasiveness isn't an issue, there are surgeries that implant tech that interfaces with biological tissue.

There are brain, machine interfaces that help paralyzed people move things with their minds, bipolar people be less bipolar, etc.

The tech is kind of like the size of a galaxy, when we would need tech that would have control at the size of a building or human level.

We would really need highly, highly advanced nano tech to even have a chance of altering memories.

Destroying memories might be a little easier, but it probably would be indiscriminate.

Our world is bad enough with all these retarded distractions and untold millions of people wasting their lives away masturbating, procrastinating and otherwise washing literal millions of years-worth of time down the drain when it could be put to better use.

This would NOT be a good thing for society as a whole.

The only reason I think this would ever be desirable is if we ever figured out how to live forever, or at least many times longer than we currently do. I imagine most people killing themselves from boredom.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_erasure

OP, you've been posting this exact same thread every day for 6 months. Please stop and see a doctor. I think something went wrong in the operation.

It sounds more like he's extremely bored with life and wants to become a child again. (Who doesn't?)

Mike Pence is a pioneer in this field I hear.

the brain machine interfaces are mostly a meme. they do an EEG and say, "oh boy, when they think of moving their arm then this region of brain has a voltage difference so we will make that part of brain activate this circuit when they think of moving their arm". its basically simple tuning, in no way is it an "interface" in that it has anyway of interacting with the brain itself.

and the bipolar, parkinsons stuff etc is literally just putting a battery in a certain brain region broadly thought to be involved in these processes and randomly creating an oscillating voltage every now and then to suppress voltage of certain regions. once again very crude, not really an interface.

Definitely, I think any neurotechnology in the brain is a meme. The field is a bubble

We are 20+ years from even getting recording that can stay in the brain for more than two weeks. All of the stuff they did with the robotic arm was hyped

This has already been done in mice google it.

You both are oversimplifying. And is just wrong.

It's much more complicated and interesting then your dumbed down explanations.

Like suggests, go watch the mouse Youtube video for fun. The mouse is remote controlled with a brain machine interface.

Once something is put in the brain, scar tissue forms around it and it can no longer record. Usually you can only record for around two weeks before this happens.

We don't get many useful signals from the brain (at least not yet). The robotic arm thing would have worked way better if they just used something as simple as voice activation. Why stick $2mil in the brain when you can just use Siri? The paper that did that is pointless garbage, just like the recent Nature one with the monkey.

What kind of person would do this? There's always new shit coming out. New music, new movies, new games, new art, new women.

Literally not enough time to enjoy all the shit there is already, let alone all the shit that is to come.

itt neuroscience ((((experts))))

Why not just rewatch some series? Are you an eternally static object? Your tastes, beliefs, knowledge, etc. all change throughout time. That character you disliked might be seen in a new light, you might hate it even more. You obviously enjoyed it, why not enjoy it as a different (You)?

i doubt that we will live to see something discriminate like this. maybe some sort of copy/paste of a past (previously recorded) stage. but even that seems far off to me. just my 2 pleb cents

I have a feeling we might need to do some reengineering from the ground up. I can't imagine having internet-speed telepathy. Right now it takes a full minute just to transmit a sentence, and that's with a lot of practice on the part of the person with the implant.

Hey, I'm only regurgitating what I've read the experts say about it. If that's wrong, they are wrong too.

>rewatch
Are you a child? I remember when I was a child I could rewatch some Disney movies endlessly and never get tired of them. These days, no matter how good the movie is, I can never watch it again. I just don't get any enjoyment out of rewatching something, unless it's one of those movies that are so layered you get something new out of them every time you watch, or if it's one of those timeless masterpieces that never show their age. You can count those movies on the fingers of one hand though.

You don't understand because you've not lived on this planet long enough yet. There is a theory of personality that says that there is only a handful of truly distinct personality "types", and that all the people belonging to a particular type are carbon copies of each other for the most part, aside from a handful of experiences unique to each individual. You met one, you met them all.

Ya there are a ton of new approaches-optogenetic, magnetoelectric, thermogenetic, chemogenetic, magnetothermal, infrared, ultrasound

None of them are really better than electrical yet, but maybe someday