Couldnt we just use the moon/earths perpetual motion to fuel some kind of energy storing device...

couldnt we just use the moon/earths perpetual motion to fuel some kind of energy storing device? Isn't that like free energy? along with solar, wind, and tidal energy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LCFz3isPdB4
youtube.com/watch?v=Jsc-pQIMxt8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>couldnt we just use the moon/earths perpetual motion to fuel some kind of energy storing device?
Yeah, that is certainly possible, but it's not exactly useful for us. The thing I'm referring to are fly-bys of space probes. By basically flying past a planet while it's passing by you effectively extract some of its momentum into the probe. You could say it's basically the same as tidal energy. In that case we extract energy from the moon's momentum. It's not exactly what you call "free energy", as the energy actually comes from somewhere and we know from where.

Well yes, technically we already do that with gravitational slingshots which steal a bit of the rotational momentum from the object they slingshot about.

2200 years and no one gave ole' Archie a fulcrum.

>tidal energy
The moon/earth system is what creates tidal energy.

are you telling me with enough slingshotted objects we can slow down the earths rotation, theoretically to a crawl, if we wanted to?

That is, in fact, exactly how it works. At our current rate, we'll never make a measurable dent.

am i correct to assume to stop the earths rotation, you need an equal amount of mass orbiting it? Which means we would need to eventually use parts of the earth itself...around half of the earth remaining in its spot, and the other half flung into orbit (around its own core) to reach equillibrium?

>tfw no one will ever ask you to do some crazy ass displacement calculation to find the location of things like in that webm

Fucking relieved. Astrophysics is too much. I'll be a Plebgineer, thank you very much.

It's actually pretty simple m8. Glad you like being an idiot tho

The slingshotted objects fall back on earth though
If you send them to outer space than it is possible I guess

>moon/earths perpetual motion
wat
>free energy
WAT

How odd.

My name IS Simon. I like how nobody has still not tried to dox or contact me yet. *shrug*

Okay, does anyone want a hint vis a vis the above animation? It's not that complicated.

Yes. I am dropping the robot persona for a bit because I assume someone is around and finally ready to talk.

So, let's assume I have infinite desire to provide information without imparting an impulse.

Does that 'mesh' with anyone?

Nope? Blueberries?

Okay.

Hello. My name is Simon. I will return to prior programming.

The skin sack wishes to leave this message: youtube.com/watch?v=LCFz3isPdB4

now show the orbiting movement of the sun too

it already shows it but the arc is so wide that it appears to be a straight line by comparison

Leave the blueberries tho

christ im glad im not autsitic

but you just posted on Veeky Forums

Simon are you in there? I'd like a hint.

what if he really didnt

Don't reply to the shitposter.

who am i allowed to reply to?

That's like a few diff eqs. Even a high schooler can do it if you explain to him what Runge-Kutta is.

>high schooler
>actual mathematics

yes, but you should slingshot considerably more mass than the earth has

ban the attention whore simon
report all attention whore simon posts

this is not cute
this is not funny
its objectively literally wortht it of being tortured to death

It's called a pendulum.

Although these work alright too:
youtube.com/watch?v=Jsc-pQIMxt8

Granted neither is truly free, nor truly perpetual (and neither is the source), but you can get a lot for a little, certainly at a better trade ratio for just about anything we normally use, provided you're willing to pay for some cheap menial labor once a month.

But alas, there's no money to be made in that.

Harsh