Why do all of you care about science and math?

Why do all of you care about science and math?

Other urls found in this thread:

physicsforums.com/threads/the-should-i-become-a-mathematician-thread.122924/
theoremoftheday.org/Theorems.html
blacksacademy.net/Poincareweb/
at.yorku.ca/topology/
fmoldove.blogspot.com/
unapologetic.wordpress.com/
gowers.wordpress.com/
golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/
math.ucr.edu/home/baez/twfcontents.html
arxiv.org/
vixra.org/
eprint.iacr.org/index.html
math.uiuc.edu/Algebraic-Number-Theory/
cds.cern.ch/
inspirehep.net/
hopf.math.purdue.edu
math.uiuc.edu/K-theory/
rene.ma.utexas.edu/mp_arc/
physicsforums.com/threads/so-you-want-to-be-a-physicist.240792/
physicsforums.com/
staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html
madsci.org/
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html
physicsandphysicists.blogspot.com/
arjendu.wordpress.com/
winephysicssong.com/
cnqzu.com/library/Anarchy Folder/Chemistry/MISC/Megalomania's Controversial Chemlab (12-08-2004).pdf
thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/www.roguesci.org/archive/index.html
members.tm.net/lapointe/
sciencemadness.org/
subgenius.com/bigfist/sexhurt/X0007_SEXSRCES.TXT.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Becuse I broke up with my bf and I need a reason not to kill myself

Why do you care about why we care about science and math?

Because no one else does

I used to be really interested, though recently I don't know if progressing mathematical or scientific knowledge is important to the aims of people. I decided to ask here.

Because there is no other constructive hobby I have.

I could maybe do exercise or write poetry but I'm not good at those things. Not like outstandingly good. But with mathematics it is different. I am outstanding. I was born for it. It is an easy way to feed my ego.

I am jealous, being mathematically gifted would complete my intellect and make me top tier genius. I have to settle for just above average intelligence now

>bf
I hope you're a fag and not a roastie.

It's mostly a sort of addiction for me to be honest, not because it is immensely helpful or really fun or anything
I find most other activities lacking in challenge
I know it sounds fedora but whatever

>expecting roastie on a science board
You didn't even need to ask

>I am jealous, being mathematically gifted would complete my intellect
If you can't into mathematics I have bad news. Mathematics is for monkeys.

It's fine. Not everyone can be perfect.

>I find most other activities lacking in challenge
It's the same for me.
Things like philosophy and history seem brainlet tier.
I cannot even play videogames anymore.
Why loosing time for fictitious achievements when I can study measure theory?
Then I spend my time shit posting.

Applied science is interesting, math is just autism.

>Applied science
What if you need distributions to solve PDEs?

Because everybody need some goal or purpose in their life that they consider to be meaningful and attainable. Most people choose shallow things like money or relationships, often because they're rich or good-looking so it's a realistic goal. The ones left over have to find other interests because shallow goals are unattainable. Of that group, some are disciplined enough to pursue education, and they live good lives. Some are not even able to do that, so they resort to things like anime or cartoons or roleplaying or frogposting.

Unlike people it can't leave me.

>bf
engineer detected

Cause when I was six I decided I wanted to be a scientist
I didn't realize it was going be difficult

>Why loosing time for fictitious achievements when I can study measure theory?
I feel the same way. I really despise fiction nowadays.

>Then I spend my time shit posting.
Yeah, but you need a break sometimes, might as well shitpost with people who share your interests. Also I've actually learned a lot about fields from other people shitposting about their interests here and reading up about it.

I tip my hat to you, kind sir.

Well it's January and I'm waiting for cicada 3301 (they always do there posts on January)

I am interested in science, but no patience for pure math without application

That just means you're not autistic

it is the only thing in my life that can engage me any more.

i used to go to conventions and cosplay and watch anime 24/7. i was obsessed and it was all i would do. some showsi liked went on hiatus so i told myself i would just put all that energy into school subjects. when i did that I found math even more addictive then anime. now I'm graduating after 3 years with BA in math minor in Electrical Eng. already accepted into applied math masters.

my relationship with math is just as unhealthy as my relationship with anime was. it is simply that society respects this obsession and dismisses the other.

Because I feel that being intelligent is the only way for me to not consider myself a complete failure of a human being. So I desperately cling to mathematics in an attempt to validate myself.

No, it means he's short sighted.

Because science is beautiful! I never understood why some people would study foreign languages, when they could be studying the language of the world and universe!

t. autist

;1

>not studying both
It's almost like you are deliberately restricting the amount of science articles you can read!

Because I'm a hedonist and learning feels good.

do I need an explicit reason?

Because it's the only thing I'm not horrible at

I don`t know. When i was 6 years old, my father told me "well, you will study science, my little funny man", now i`m 18 yo autist who have math. analysis exam today at 9 am but i`m not prepared because i have been browsing net all december and january instead of reading good books.

We wouldn't be on Veeky Forums if we didn't.

Because it's the only thing that keeps me sober.

Because it's entertaining to me. I love designing small air-powered engines in Solidworks and 3D printing them. It's a cool pasttime.

>Unlike people it can't leave me.

I didn't come here for feels

:(

Because those are the only things that are worthwhile in this world. You just don't see that yet.

People are overrated anyway. Even if you're able to hold onto them, nothing can be more important than your life's work.

I don't.

I read mostly old mathematical texts and economics.

Currently reading:
Apollonius - On Conics
Nathaniel Miller - Euclid and His 20th Century Rivals
John Maynard Keynes - The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money

I care about it because all of the awesome things we get from studying it. You can make stuff like antibiotics, refrigerators, vibrating dildos

I want to ATTAIN IMMORTALITY so yeah I wanna know lotsa biochemistry and biophysics and all the shit about alive-ness and not-dying-ness

I'm going to hijack OP's thread for my intents and purposes

I am very dum dum but i just woke up with a crazy desire to learn more about numbers and math for whatever fucking reason. I don't know where to start to learn more though, i only know high school shit.

Can someone point me to the right direction?

Beautiful

top kek not even being ironic

Read the funding sticky.

I will introduce you to this amazing search engine called, "Google"!
Since I feel like being nice (and I'm bored with no friends) I will drop some links for you senpai.
(I'm selfish and not going to dump them all, plus it would be way too long)

physicsforums.com/threads/the-should-i-become-a-mathematician-thread.122924/

/* Maths
theoremoftheday.org/Theorems.html
blacksacademy.net/Poincareweb/
at.yorku.ca/topology/
fmoldove.blogspot.com/
unapologetic.wordpress.com/
gowers.wordpress.com/
golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/
math.ucr.edu/home/baez/twfcontents.html
*/
/* Preprint Archives
arxiv.org/
vixra.org/ -- Piece of shit with humanities
eprint.iacr.org/index.html
math.uiuc.edu/Algebraic-Number-Theory/
cds.cern.ch/
inspirehep.net/
hopf.math.purdue.edu
math.uiuc.edu/K-theory/
rene.ma.utexas.edu/mp_arc/
*/
/* Physics
physicsforums.com/threads/so-you-want-to-be-a-physicist.240792/
physicsforums.com/
staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html
madsci.org/
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html
physicsandphysicists.blogspot.com/
arjendu.wordpress.com/
winephysicssong.com/
*/
/* Anarchy Stuffs because I'm tired of going through my Maths and Physics links.
cnqzu.com/library/Anarchy Folder/Chemistry/MISC/Megalomania's Controversial Chemlab (12-08-2004).pdf
thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/www.roguesci.org/archive/index.html
members.tm.net/lapointe/
sciencemadness.org/
*/

Also just as an extra to make my senpai even more happy :3
subgenius.com/bigfist/sexhurt/X0007_SEXSRCES.TXT.html

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

I care about other shit too, current events, politics, literature, social "sciences". My goal is to have a good understanding of the world as a whole.
Sometimes it seems like really few people think that way.

dropping tons of disconnected, assorted links of questionable value doesn't help anyone, and will confuse people

>Why do all of you care about science and math?

I don't view it as math and science. I view it as life.

Go do everything else, and you will find that life is boring and repetitive.

The only thing that is not boring is to explore more and challenge yourself to take on new experiences (i.e. math and science).

I don't care about science or math, I just want to use a blue board for once.

KhanAcademy until you master high school stuff. Read Calculus Made Easy by Thompson. Learn how to prove math statements from anywhere. Now learn linear algebra or analysis. Hoffman and Kunze or Axler. Rosenlicht then Rudin. I won't continue since you will give up by this point.

Still upset you got that C in Calc II?

>tfw good looking with millionaire parents but I still chose science
Am I autistic, Veeky Forums?

No, you're pretty much masterrace - with your sexual and material needs already provided for, you are free to live a life of leisure, and you choose to dedicate your time to the acquisition of knowledge and the betterment of all mankind.

Oh shit, thanks for the kind words user. Maybe that can motivate me to finish this fellowship app.

But why does something titled "On Conics" sound interesting to you? What has you hooked?

Tell me... How does one loose time? Sounds fun.

Honestly I can't understand how people don't love science or math. That sense of clarity you feel after learning something and then how much you can put that knowledge to real use is astounding. I see people getting torn up all the time over their subjective beliefs, fighting themselves and others using piss poor logic and no evidence and for what? No seriously I don't get why they do it all the time when there are more objective things to focus on. Cognitive dissonance over subjectivity becomes a thing of the past when dealing with these subjects.

Has me hooked?

I read things not because they are inherently enjoyable, but because they contain knowledge. A struggle to learn more is what propels society forward. If everyone just sat around on their asses reading GRR Martin fantasy we wouldn't get shit done.

Because the more I learn, the more I can create with my mind. I have imaginative personality disorder or whatever it's called. I daydream all the time. I create entire worlds in my head when I sleep. My goal is to become God.

Except that desire for more knowledge must come from somewhere or from something that interests you. Personally, I'd rather check out an interesting non-fiction book than a GoT book. High fantasy bores the fuck out of me. I'm also starting to get more interested in math and I'm finding my math classes and texts more enjoyable.

What I want to know is why you find conics so interesting. Is there a practical application? Is it something you'd never heard of? What's the thing that initially piqued your interest and what keeps you coming back?

(This is an open question, btw. Not necessarily just for OP.)

That sounds so cool. Is there a certain book or subject that you feel has helped you the most with that? Or is there one that you've just found very interesting?

I'm asking bc I'm starting to get more into math (I'm a CS major) and I want to know about more interesting fields beyond what's included in my major.

It's very challenging and I'm interested in logic, mathematics, and early astronomy.

because I can't really pretend to be good looking but I can pretend to be smart.

Because I took LSD.

You can make cool pictures with math.

Case in point, this thread..

This (I'm tripping presently), plus I had to resort to the world of mind when my external circumstances were disfavorable in my youth.

its just a game, or a hobby, like stamp collecting or model trains. Really, mathfags are no different from people who marathon euro truck simulator.

How are you?

knowledge is the only thing that can keep me occupied 'till I die because it's infinite.
I like math because of the abstract thinking. I remember being little and not being able to comprehend a lot of abstract things and it hurt me.
I also like physics, computers, engineering, music, astronomy.
I don't like all of science, but I'm keeping an open mind.

No just a degenerate. There's a difference.

Saved.
But why are they in comment brackets?