Help

First year CS student here.

If I were to continue attending this shitty Java school, I'd probably end up working for some shitty company developing shitty applications and adding bloatware upon bloatware just so they could have something to sell.
I despise corporate malware and have no intention of contributing to the cesspool that is the current software industry.
If I were to go into research, I would much prefer physics.

I was always into science and I didn't go for physics in the first place because I was full of doubt, insecure and I might have had somewhat of an inferiority complex (my mindset was like "Who am I to study physics?").
I'm not gonna get too much into that, let's just say it had a lot to do with math and physics competitions and great ambitions that I never had the strength to achieve.

In the latter part of high school I gave up on science and studying hard, I started watching a lot of anime, eating unhealthy, frequenting /g/ and tinkering with GNU+Linux distors while being shut in and at the computer and (probably to avoid my family) I reversed day and night.
One thing led to another and I ended up in CS.

Now I'm depressed and lonely, I hate myself (I was probably hating myself for a long time now) and I'm rethinking my whole life and how I regret giving up.

Should I drop out of CS and go for physics?
Or is it too late for me and I should just continue being comfy as a shut in autismo weeb programmer full of regret, escapng reality through anime and Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

motherfuckingwebsite.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sodachi Oikura is a bitch

>First year CS student here.
>Should I drop out of CS and go for physics?
As a general rule, if you are in your first year and you already find that you don't like the subject, get the fuck out while you still can and switch to something that fits your interests. You will NOT enjoy lingering for another three years doing something you don't care about.

> If I were to continue attending this shitty Java school, I'd probably end up working for some shitty company developing shitty applications and adding bloatware upon bloatware just so they could have something to sell.

You don't know that. For a matter of fact, you don't know shit. You're just a 1st year CS student.

> I despise corporate malware and have no intention of contributing to the cesspool that is the current software industry.
If I were to go into research, I would much prefer physics.

You are not smart enough.

> Should I drop out of CS and go for physics?

In case this is not shitpost, don't.
You will not find happiness in physics. I guarantee it.
The root of your problem is you keep picturing the what-ifs instead of facing your current reality.
Face your situation with dignity, don't make a habit of running away.

In case this is not shitpost:

>you don't know shit
I know that I shouldn't have ended up where I am right now.
I know that I'm not happy with where I am right now.

>You are not smart enough.
Define smart.
Whatever your definition of 'smart' is, where are the facts and arguments to back up your statement?

>The root of your problem is you keep picturing the what-ifs instead of facing your current reality.
I'm facing reality right now.
And I hate it.

>You will not find happiness in physics. I guarantee it.
You know me so well, don't you?
What makes you say that?
I most certainly won't find happiness in CS.
I could do what I said at the end of the OP, but that would only be escapism, the thing I was doing until now.

>Face your situation with dignity
I'm trying to face my situatuin with dignity right now.

>don't make a habit of running away
That was my first mistake, the one that I kept making and I'm trying to put an end to it now.

She's just troubled, like me.

I think you've made your decision. Just do it.
Don't whine too much, especially not on Veeky Forums.

Do database work

Yeah, I guess you're right.
I just hope it's not too late.

what you need to understand is that all jobs suck

I don't agree with that.
There are people who enjoy their jobs.

>She's just troubled, like me.

She's troubled because she had terrible parents. You are troubled because of self given autism. I mean, tinkering with GNU+LINUX (da memes) distros? Are you more of a meme man?

Fuck.

Nigga, just do whatever you want. I also started browsin /g/ way back in high school and got a lot into programming and computer science, to the detriment of my school grades. Graduated with a pretty mediocre score, even in mathematics. But guess what? Now I'm just majoring pure mathematics because I don't give a fuck.

Who cares. We are all going to die. Human beings don't have souls. God doesn't exist. Might aswell prove the riemann hypothesis and then kill myself.

you are naive

Could it be.. they are just lying to themselves?

nice

Poetic.

>being retarded enough to work jobs you don't like
I almost forgot where I was.

haha except all jobs suck, you don't understand this then you don't understand how our economical system operates

Good for you. I hope you're happy.

Funny story, I have the opposite problem. Used to program little things when I was teen, enjoyed C(++) / haskell, but then I got into mathematics. After three years I have a basic understanding of all kind of things that used to impress me, like topology, differential geometry / analytical mechanics, algebraic geometry, measure theory and so on, but now all seems too dry. I have to stay there and spend a lot of time learning pages and pages of proofs. Same thing happened to a friend of mine who got into physics and dropped out to get a software engineering degree to have a decent job. I hope I had done the same too, or to do after I graduate this year; I'm quite good wrt my colleagues, but not enough to pursue research. So my point is, thinks on what you want to do, getting into research is not something for everything, you have to be really strong willed and prepare to a real lot of pain.

>Are you more of a meme man?
I also bought two Thinkpads and I use Arch Linux (if it matters) with a tiling window manager.

this is bait

Then you are more of a meme man, as I expected.

Why? Memes are supposed to be dreams. You are not supposed to actually embrace them.

Just do Physics OP if that's what you want to do. There's no point into doing something because you feel "obligated".

First question are you a good improviser while being both creative and imaginative?

If no then goodluck with your diploma and don't complain being a cuck employee with an incompetent boss OR go to physics and be a uni hugbox researcher (somewhat NEET like).

If yes then focus more maths because java is elementary knowledge and find out whether you want to go academe/phd/resarcher or product/service design development shit and be your own boss (requires communication skiills).

>Should I drop out of CS and go for physics?
The question is are you good with maths and the abstract shit? Have you taken physics/comp prog during high school and how well did you do?

>Or is it too late for me and I should just continue being comfy as a shut in autismo weeb programmer full of regret, escapng reality through anime and Veeky Forums?

Nothing's bad escaping reality unless it destroys your self consciousness.

>Now I'm depressed and lonely, I hate myself (I was probably hating myself for a long time now) and I'm rethinking my whole life and how I regret giving up.
Depression is just lack of sensation and stimulation because you spent most of your time playing vidya and in front of monitor. There's a reason why the illuminati provides us all the media stimulation and people who are into sports aren't depressed faggots. If you are depressed being alone then you're actually extraverted. Try taking MBTI test to figure out your own shit.

>Who cares. We are all going to die. Human beings don't have souls. God doesn't exist.
If god doesn't exist then we've lived our lives.
If god exists then our lives are merely of no value and we should revolt against this oppressive terrible system he built. satan ftw.

DEFINITELY drop CS and go into physics
I dropped CS for math and couldn't be happier
(that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the good things of CS while you do it! there are nice computational things you can do in math and physics, and you can always do ICPC style competitive programming and stuff)

If god doesn't exist then this is all for nothing and we when we die it is over. Rest in pepperini linguini.

And god doesn't exist so that is the only future we have. Believing in god is a brainlet crutch.

If god exists then when we die we keep our knowledge, go to heaven and ask god if Wildberger is right or not and then live happy ever after proving theorems in the right framework.

I hope that god exists because I have a high IQ and therefore know what is convenient. I know that god doesn't exist because I have a high IQ.

High intelligence is suffering.

You don't have to stay in any one field for life. But it sounds as if you should take what little energy and motivation you have and invest it in a programming career you've already started. Lots of work to change now. Lots of catch-up in physics that is a lot of brain thinking work on what will seem so irrelevant.

And research will be no different. It'll be a job, about money and politics and ignorant co-workers, who may or may not get fired and may or may not come back with a gun to kill you because you weren't fired. Welcome to the "hell" called life.

>tfw to intelligent too be happi

shut up cunt. TL;DR

Go kill yourself.

Not until I feel like I've reached my full potential in life and am ready to transcend on to the plane of non-existence with no regret.

Solve AI and get it to do physics for you at 9999x the efficiency

OP, you should only study physics if you like asking people whether or not they want fries with their meal.

Don't be down user, worse comes to worse just be like me and go into Academia.

AND HEY! First year? Of course you have time to switch, on average most people change their major at least once (or something like that, I don't know, no one probably gives a fuck). If you really aren't happy then you should just go for it, physics is a good field (you should pair it with something like engineering - that's a pretty hot combo).

>debian
why?

Retards

I'm more of an Arch/Crux person myself...
Just poking fun

Arch linux

Thats a lot of unnecessary information.
You know you don't have to end up making crapware? Like, you could just say no to joining that company.

My shitty advice - If you want to be happy, drop out and watch anime while freelancing webdev shit. You'd have to compete with indians who would make entire websites for like $20 though

Sodachi is a nice girl

>If you want to be happy, drop out and watch anime while freelancing webdev shit.
But I wouldn't be happy doing that shit.
I don't see the point in 'web development' at all.
Why not just use pure html?
See motherfuckingwebsite.com/

I want to spend my life doing shit that matters.

>My shitty advice - If you want to be happy, drop out and watch anime while freelancing webdev shit. You'd have to compete with indians who would make entire websites for like $20 though

See, I might be crazy, but I am thinking about doing this.

I have done so many. I could copy pasta and make some tools so that I could pop them out in hours or less.

But that is a lot of risk... and the hustle probably is a lot of work...

Eh... life is too hard... Can I just do the anime without the job?

CS is what you make of it. There are so many areas of CS in which you can focus on to ensure that you don't end up being a code monkey for the rest of your life.

Like I said, if I were to get into research I'd rather go with physics.
I don't find computability theory, AI and data mining algorithms very interesting and CS is mostly applied math anyway.
If I wanted math I'd go for math.

The only thing that I find interesting that might be considered 'CS' are operating systems.
I love Unix and would like to learn more and know how it's all implemented (the kernel, filesystems, etc), but that's about it.
I don't know what I could do with that knowledge besides being a good sysadmin.
I don't think there's much opporunity there and I'd have to be extremely lucky in order to get paid to work on the Linux kernel or something like that.

Let me correct myself a bit here.
I like and am good at math, physics also is mostly applied math when it comes down to it, but I just don't like the CS topics.

Stop shitposting and just change your major.

Okay

Post your MBTI archetype with brain test/bias (left/right).

I'll forecast your career

Nice blog faggot, subscribed.

thank you

OP is a faggot looking for a pat on the back instead of the kick in the ass he actually needs.

All jobs suck, and you overestimate your future contributions to whatever field you choose. Whole maybe physics will make you happier, it won't make you HAPPY. And right now you're just a envisioning a false reality. Physics will be a lot like CS, solving meaningless problems and handing in papers and problem sets and exams. It's the same fucking thing.

Kill yourself, OP. Or just make a goddamn choice already and stick with it.

This thread is why our country needs mandatory military service or a mandatory gap year of manual labor before going to school. 17 year old high school seniors going into college have no idea what the real world is