New prosthesis

Has anyone followed the prosthesis field?
The last five years gives me the impression that we are getting closer to artificial limbs that could be better than the originals. 3D-printing scene has produced some cheap and aesthetically pieces. We have materials that are are light, yet strong and a prototype of an artificial skin that can deliver pressure sensation.

We have the materials to create high-end limb prosthesis, but if I understood relaying and sending signals to the human body is the current bottleneck.

Does Veeky Forums have people interested in or involved in prosthesis?

I'm also writing up something (~100p.) on the recent advances in artificial limbs. It will include a brief history of prosthesis, human biomechanics, new materials and speculation on how artificial limbs and other prosthesis will advance.

Finding comprehensive, good books and studies on the subject has slowed it to a halt and I'll probably leave it for now if nothing comes up. I would be grateful for any good materials you know of or even some good ideas to add to it.

> inb4 "Check out this cool "terminator" arm! [youtube/facebook link]"

Shameless bump.

>Has anyone followed the prosthesis field?
somewhat out of curiosity only.
I've noticed that the mechanics have benefited from computer aided ergonomic modeling. The mechanics have also benefited from advanced materials and manufacturing techniques. But I thing the biggest advances have been in the human / machine interface area. Trans-cutaneous detection of nerve impulses and computer decoding of those impulses have resulted in great control of these new prosthetic limbs.

>relaying and sending signals
There is (slow) progress being made on this too.

there is progress on having the prosthesis give feedback to the human wearer?
position, pressure, temperature etc... ?

No. I thought you meant signals that enable control of the prosthesis. Never mind. I imagine though, that with the development of artificial skin, the ability to integrate input from it should be coming soon.

Anyway, as an industrial designer who could theoretically pursue prosthetics, I am interested in this too, although mainly in the aesthetic/3D printing side of things. I am also struggling with how to properly research this. I feel I will probably have to go to grad school for it to really do it well.

>signals that enable control of the prosthesis.
there has been excellent progress in this area, the trans-cutaneous pickups is one example. there is also a headband type under development as well from what I remember.
But the area of feedback, that is allowing the wearer to feel something when the artificial limb touches something, or being able to accurately judge how firm the grip of those artificial fingers are using on that egg... these are lacking so far as I know. I was hoping you had news.

I'm interested in exosuits or additional/extended limbs. Since, I'm not currently missing anything.

Like having an extra arms to help you work.

That's what it's leading up to. Of course, handicaps and deficiencies have to be treated first (which is also important to focus on in order to get funding for the research) but as soon as they are, augmentation will come pretty much simultaneously (since it will rely on the same technology).

There is lots of financial potential in exo-limbs.

-Construction
-Rescue services
-Military
-People of old age and others healing from injuries would benefit from light structural and strength aids.

Bы вce дoлбoeбы бля, кoнчи нaхyй. Heт бы нopмaльным дeлoм зaнимaтьcя, нa зaвoдe paбoтaть, a вы нayкoй eбaнoй зaнимaeтecь или мaтeмaтикoй.

IIRC yes
From what I remember they are modifying nerve cells with a gene that changes the surface voltage based on light (yellow light increases, blue light decreases). Thin piezoelectric films on the fingertips generate voltage which powers LEDs at the base.
So basically Pressure -> Voltage -> Light -> Membrane Potential

forklifts/bobcats are basically practical exosuits

They can move around tons of weight, but there is market for smaller aids that help manipulating objects that weight over 30-60kg.
In factories there are ceiling mounted sucktion lifters, but they have a small range.
Also I don't see a firefighter driving in a house with a bobcat. :)

>ONE VODKA AND CIGARETTZ :--}}}

Pls translate, my vodka talk is a bit rusty.

If I understood correctly he complains about us constantly talking about abnormal things, never working, etc

So basically "not-normies get out Reeeeeeeeee"

The actuators which are nowadays availble are slow, power hungry, heavy, and noisy. Also it seems like nobody is working on improving this.
Specifically linear actuators

I would really like a mechanical engineer to prove me wrong, or explain why it is so, but it really looks like mechanical engineers just spend all of their research resources sucking each other's dick like the faggots they are

it seems absurd that you can permanently lose a part of yourself
i thought that recently when i cut off the tip of a finger
should be able to grow it back using stem cells or something
prosthetics are cool and all, very 70s sf but we can do better

I studied the medical device industry for my capstone project in college.

Vodka please?

Interesting

You don't have the drivers to run more limbs, and it's impossible to write drivers to the human brain yet

Nice, any recent advances that could be related prostheses?
Got a link for your work?

It seems absurd that you can permanently lose every part of yourself, too