Hello i have thought of a easy to solve funny problem. Wanna see how you guys react to it

Hello i have thought of a easy to solve funny problem. Wanna see how you guys react to it.
Its no homework of mine.

Here it goes:
You have an n dimensional space.
Think of a formula for the number of rotational planes that this space has.
Thats all.

pic unrelated.

Well we'll assume n is x...then x, given a limitational set of correlatives, will be placed next to y, then the number of rotational planes switches back to the same vector

could you define rotational planes please?

OP here. I think you got the right idea, but i dont really understand what you say. You have no Formula so i dont really know.

The number of planes you need to transform from one given coordinate system to another by means of rotation.

bump my dude

how accessible is this to someone who just finished intro to linear algebra which didn't mention rotational planes?

Very accessible and easy.
I give you an example, which can be viewed as spoiler already. The 3 dimensional space has 3 planes, xy yz and xz.

well i accidentally spoiled it for myself when i went on the wiki page for plane of rotation sooo whoops. But I'm going to try to find reason for the formula

the formula on wikipedia is not what i mean there it is n/2.
but for me it actually is described as a sum.
i mean you have a vector in some space and rotate the coordinate system. this rotation can be split into many rotations in every rotational plane. 3 dimensions have 3 rotational planes as i said before. 4 dimensions have 6 rotational planes, 1 dimension has 0 and so on.

they have another definition of plane of rotation i mean it differently.

please don't tell me you're getting at n choose 2 because otherwise kill yourself

n is wrong. my example in 4 dimensions already shows this.

kill yourself.

why ?

let me guess, the 5th dimension has 10 "rotational planes?"

yes

sry if my language confused you im no native speaker.

so basically you mean "The number of distinct 2-d planes formed by the basis vectors of the space"

which is obviously [math]\dbinom{n}{2}[/math] like this guy said

yeah i meant that.
i dont understand how the binomial coefficient works, i wrote it as a sum.

share the sum please im interested

sum from i to (n-1) of y_i

now pls explain the binomial ezly.

uh what is y_i defined as

y is a vaiable that is equal to i :D

fuck

fuck what it gives the correct answer. im too tired to think clear.
now explain binomial plx.

This is obvious. Consider a set of {a, b, c, d, e}

Working from left to right there are 4 combinations of a, then 3 of b from the remaining set, then 2 for c, 1 for d, 0 for e.

The total combinations is just the sum of all the combinations, which in this case would be be the sum of 1 to 4, which is the sum of 1 to n-1.

yeah. but thats not the definition of binomials with explanation but my original answer. OP here.

The binomial (n choose k) gives the number of combinations of k number of elements. n choose 2 gives the number of combinations of 2 elements.

Are you asking why the binomial theorem works for giving the number of combinations?

well thanks now i understand it a bit better. yeah could you explain how that works ?

There are n*(n-1)*...*(n+1-k) ways of choosing elements from a set in some order. But the elements have been counted k! ways, so to get the unique combinations where order doesn't matter you divide by k!

[math]\frac{n\cdot(n-1)\cdots (n-k+1)}{k!} = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}.[/math]

So consider the set {a,b,c}
In this case you have n=3 elements
and you want to know the number of groupings of k=2

So first you list out all the
Permutations (order matters):
{a,b} {b,a} {a,c} {c,a} {b,c} {c,b}

So there are 6 permutations.
But notice that if you don't care about order, then you have counted the number of combinations (where order doesn't matter) 2 times (which is equal to 2!). To get the number of combinations you divide by 2!. 6/2 = 3, which is the number of combinations of two elements in this set.

Try this same principle with a set of 4 elements, but k=3 groupings. You will notice that there are 3! = 6 times as many permutations as combinations.

thanks for dubs and good content.

n = 4 elements
k = 3 groupings

set = {a, b, c, d}

permutations:
{a,b,c} {a,c,b} {b,a,c} {b,c,a} {c,a,b} {c,b,a}
{a,b,d} {a,d,b} {b,a,d} {b,d,a} {d,a,b} {d,b,a}
{a,c,d} {a,d,c} {c,a,d} {c,d,a} {d,a,c} {d,c,a}
{b,c,d} {b,d,c} {c,b,d} {c,d,b} {d,b,c} {d,c,b}

= 24 permutations

But you have counted the number of combinations 3! = 6 times too many times. So you divide 24 by 6 = 4. Therefore there are only 4 combinations of three elements given this set.
Those four combos (in no particular ordering) are:
{a b c}
{a b d}
{a c d}
{b c d}