As an applied math major, what are the must have books that one should own, if any?

As an applied math major, what are the must have books that one should own, if any?

[spoiler]I never buy any textbooks from my school.[/spoiler]

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
p.fuwafuwa.moe/fsefcd.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I was thinking of acquiring some books but I wasn't sure if it's necessary to go through any outside of the assigned texts.

Should you go through this book even if you're going to be assigned a different book? Is it really worth the extra time? This is my dilemma.

100%. Most linear books are absolute trash.

I got an A+ in my linear class (at an Ivy League school) and just used the course text. I can candidly say I didn't understand shit until I read LADR.

Although I admit the linear class was for physics majors, not for math majors. If you take a proper "pure" math class for linear you probably won't get much more out of LADR.

This is a great book but a stupid one to purchase. It's a bad reference and you can work through it before it's due at the library.

It's a yellow Springer book. It's cheap. Only Dover books are cheaper.

I haven't actually started my applied major yet (Fall 2017). Starting late for personal reasons. Here's my course at my local state uni:

Prereq:
Calc 1
Calc 2
Stats 1

Foundation:
Programming Fundamentals
Calculus Based Phys 1
Intro to Analysis
Calc 3
Probability

Core:
Linear Algebra & Applications
Mathematical Modeling
ODEs
Abstract Algebra
Mathematics Senior Seminar

Elective:
PDEs

Based on this, would you say LADR is beneficial. Anything else you'd recommend as well?

+ Operations Research

fuck no unless you use another text to get a proper and rigorous treatment of determinants

My experience is that the math education at many public US universities is an absolute fucking joke in terms of rigor and student ability.

I would absolutely not major as an applied math major and go for pure math if it's available. Any pure mathematician can do applied math but the reverse isn't true, especially if you're educated at a public US university.

I majored in physics and I kick myself every day for it. I really, really wish I had majored in pure math. I'm in CS grad school now and without a doubt pure math would've been more useful than anything applied.

The simple fact of the matter is that mathematical rigor leads to much deeper and greater understanding than what you learn in a more applied/less rigorous setting as you do in applied math or physics.

People who have a strong, rigorous foundation in mathematics can learn just about anything.

Unfortunately, pure isn't available otherwise I'd go for it. Do you think I should major something else and self study pure?

Maybe CS with as much math as you can fit? Or applied math with as much CS as you can fit.

Do you go to GT?

Georgia Tech? No, it's Metro State.

Ah ok. GT only has applied math too.

Major in pure math. Many advanced real world applied math concepts use complex analysis, measure theory, and functional analysis and an applied math major will not prepare you for it.

I wouldn't recommend buying this. It's fine to learn from but buy Hoffman and Kunze or Curtis's abstract linear algebra instead as they contain more and are better references.

I agree. But you can major in anything really, as long as you take the essential math courses.

Algebra.: Hoffman and Kunze's linear algebra. Artin or Herstein's algebra.

Analysis: Rosenlicht and Rudin's analysis. Rudin's real and complex analysis. Ahlfors and Conway or Lang's complex analysis.

Geometry and Topology: Armstrong or Munkres's topology. Spivak's calculus on manifolds. Milnor or Guillemin and Pollack's differential topology.

The bar is set so low in terms of math nowadays that knowing all of these will put you far ahead of math, physics, economics, and CS undergrads. All these subjects use this math in grad school but don't have it integrated into undergrad. So knowing it will put you far ahead of the competition.

Anyone have a DL link for this ?

have you actually read Curtis'? I'm interested in it as a second course in linear algebra (Passed my LA uni course but didn't understand jackshit desu).
In "Linear Algebra From A Pure Mathematical Approach" the author says it's inspired by Curtis' book but that Curtis' was incomplete or something like that. Also what about Halmos' book?

I'm talking about Abstract LA by Curtis specifically. It's great review if you know some abstract algebra. Otherwise I'd recommend looking at Hoffman and Kunze instead.

Pretty much anything here:
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Numerical_Analysis_and_Methods
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Advanced_Algorithms_and_Mathematical_Optimization

yeah I know the book and looked through it. In the book I mentioned by harvey e rose in the introduction he says the following "One recent exam-
ple of this approach is the book by Morton Curtis [1990] called Abstract Linear
Algebra. Unfortunately, the author died before he could see it properly through to
completion."
What does he mean?
I have taken a look at Hoffman And Kunze and would prefer something else instead but if it's better than Curtis' book then I'll continue reading that.

this is a lightweight program
you're going to need to know your linear algebra and real analysis well, because that's the base of the rest of stuff

but that's it, ezpz. use Hoffman&Kunze instead of Axler imo

Wouldn't these cost over $400?

Harmonic Analysis: From Fourier to Wavelets by MarĂ­a Cristina Pereyra, Lesley A. Ward

This is a good list but I'd add Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres as a supplement to Spivaks, I found Munkres good for explanation and Spivak good for exercises.

"Probability with Martingales" by David Williams

>It's a bad reference
Are you saying that just because of the colloquial title? Because it has 438 citations on google scholar.

Fourier Series by Georgi Tolstov.

>What does he mean?

Read the preface of Curtis, he died just after the rough draft was typed up and Paul Place oversaw its publishing.

p.fuwafuwa.moe/fsefcd.pdf

assuming the other person doesn't know what they're talking about when they tell you something you don't like is not okay, it's rude and makes you look like an asshole
in any case, axler is good for teaching a first class, but no determinants and lighter style kills its value as a reference book. use hoffman&kunze instead

Yeah, but is it true? Is it "incomplete" in any way?

>it's rude and makes you look like an asshole
S-sorry user.

I'm using this for a course this semester. From what I'm seeing in these responses, will it be fine for the class but bad as a reference for the future?

Like you've read hoffman & kunze. Stop pretending. Everyone knows you're just a math wannabe.

It's a bad reference because if you forget some theorem or proof it's a shitty book to look it up in and it doesn't cover very many topics.

Hoffman & Kunze or Roman would be good references because they are comprehensive and have more and better proofs.

Also, google scholar citations are not a good measure of whether a text is a good reference. Those could have all been in educational journals for all you know. It's a good pedagogical text, as I said.

The art and craft of problem solving. Most useful book I've ever read

Everyone's talking about Kenneth Hoffman but what about Halmos' Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces?

It does what it set out to do, build the subject up from scratch and prove the Theorem of Hurwitz.

Anyone know a good place to get the solutions manual. Especially the one for Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus 7ed James stewarts.

Jech's Set Theory, buy it new and read cover to cover - mandatory if you want to do applied math