Mushroom appreciation thread?

Mushroom appreciation thread?

>versatile as fuck, goes with literally everything
>multiple varieties so you can take your pick
>great texture raw or cooked
>tastes fucking great dude
>easy to cook properly even if you're retarded

If you don't recognise mushrooms as the Gods food then what the fuck are you doing on this board? How can fruit and vegetables even compete?

I stopped hanging out with someone i've known for 15 years because they don't like mushrooms.

i'm better of now

Of what?

Honestly I rarely ever buy shrooms because they don't last for too long in the fridge
I usually add them to some stirfry, or have them raw with celery and avocado salad

This.

I love mushrooms, but they deteriorate so fast there isn't much point buying them when you buy groceries at two weeks at a time.

>being this autistic

If you lived in a civilized coutry, there would have been several variaties available in the pickle section, not costing much more than gherkins.

>being this blind to sexual innuendo

By the way, have you come out yet, OP?

>pickled anything

Enjoy your high blood pressure and aneurysms.

Sometimes I make vegetarian chili with a few pounds of fine diced mushroom instead of ground beef and then I add another pound of sliced mushrooms so that you know what you're getting, It's like my favorite cheap meal

Best thing about mushrooms is that a full box like pic related only contains around 20 calories. And there's also the health benefits.

That selenium will straight up save your junk from prostate cancer

Fresh mushrooms are fine for 1-1.5 weeks if you store em properly, which is comparable with most vegetables. And of course you can dry them (or buy them dried) in which case they're good basically forever.

>there are people who dont eat all their food on the same day they bought it

Fucking this.
I'm currently trying to lose weight and since I've started tracking what I eat it blows my mind how much veggies you can eat compared to more calorie dense foods. Fuckin love me some mushiest.

One of my favorite quick meals is half an onion diced up sauteed with a pack of baby bella or button mushrooms. Often whole, sometimes chopped. Pepper, garlic salt, finished with a splash of sherry. Yum.

I love mushrooms, but my only exposure has been to the basic mushrooms that come in those plastic packs. What other mushrooms should I look out for to try?

I live alone and go to the store almost every day. I just buy enough for 1-2 meals. Helps that there are two grocery stores and an outdoor market on my walk home from work.

>tfw even the cheap grocery stores in Japan had all of these mushrooms and more
>Have to go to a high end place in the US to find those basic mushrooms

my mothers husband dont like em. i never could understand how one could dislike something so delicious

That is vulgar and disgusting

>my mothers husband
lol your literally his wife's son

what's it like?

Bought some king oytser mushrooms today at a farmers market. Cooked them with soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, and chili. Found out you need to cook the stems longer then you would regular mushrooms, or the texture wont be nice.

Most nicer mushrooms are seasonal as we haven't figured out how to cultivate them yet- many form symbiotic relationships with tree roots and such that we don't understand well yet.

As far as cultivated ones, the best ones are definitely maitake (aka 'hen of the woods') and king oysters. Maitakes are sort of feathery looking brown mushrooms you can just tear apart into sections. They have a sort of gently peppery taste and a soft texture when cooked. King oysters have very thick stems and tiny caps, but the whole thing is edible. They have a deep, savory flavor and are super meaty and firm textured, especially if roasted- just cut them in half lengthwise, cross-hatch the cut side, brush with oil or butter, season, and roast until deeply golden. If you think portabellos are meaty these will blow you away.

As far as wild mushrooms:
>chanterelles
Generally golden yellow, though other colors exist. They have a delicate, slightly sweet flavor and none of the rubbery texture button mushrooms have. They're amazing in all kinds of dishes but they're not super powerfully flavored so don't put them with things that will overwhelm them.
>Hedgehog mushrooms
Tan mushrooms with tiny 'spines' on the underside of the cap rather than gills. Similar flavor to chanterelles but even sweeter, with an almost apricot-y flavor to them. They're also softer and more delicate in texture.
>Morels
Quite expensive and short-seasoned, morels are nonetheless pretty amazing. They show up in the spring. Super rich savory nutty flavor. Kind of a pain to clean but well worth it.
>Matsutakes, aka pine mushrooms
Large pale tan mushrooms with an incredibly powerful aroma, like cinnamon and pine and earth. Meaty texture and a flavor that echoes the aroma. These are some of the strongest flavored mushrooms you can find, and they're pretty distinctive- might not be everyone's cup of tea. Possibly my personal favorites though.
Cont.

>Porcinis
Excellent general purpose mushrooms. Rich savory earthy flavor, nice texture, not too strong or too mild. Also phenomenal dried.
>Black trumpets
Good luck finding these for sale, but they're great if you can.
>Lobster mushrooms
Weirdly, these are actually two kinds of fungus- the main fungus and the orange coating, which is a different fungus infecting the other mushroom. Weird. Really nice flavor, but be careful- they'll stain sauces orange.
>Fairy ring mushrooms aka mousserons
Nutty and delicate
>Chicken of the woods
Definitely not the same as hen of the woods, this is a sort of tan shelf-like mushroom. The flavor and texture are somewhat similar to cooked chicken.
>Candy caps
Honorable mention for being extremely weird. These are basically a dessert mushroom. Dried, they are VERY sweet and have a sort of maple-y taste to them.

There's a whole whack of other kinds, but these are the ones you're most likely to be able to buy.

I have a primal revulsion to the idea of eating fungus

Help me Veeky Forums how do I stop being autistic

yea, but too much selenium will make you start losing hair