Optimization

>tfw about to fail my optimization course

My lecturer is so fucking garbage it's unbelievable. His lectures are the most boring thing imaginable, he's just standing there awkwardly fidgeting a bit with his hands and talking in himself. Worst of all, the course material is useless. We only have lecture slides (no book, or proper lecture notes), but those are a pain in the ass to learn from, it's an unorganized mess. Other than that we have some HARD AS FUCK practice problems, which are basically impossible to make unless you already have a thorough understanding of the subject.

Now, does anyone have recommendations for me? I have the test this Friday and I want to pass the class. Unfortunately since I'm not American this course is fixed in my curriculum so there is no way I can simply drop the class. Things we have to know include:

ILP modelling, Dual Simplex Method, Branch and Bound algorithm, P vs NP and approximations algorithm.

If anyone can link good lecture notes or recommend me a book with practice problems that would be great.

Other urls found in this thread:

personal.psu.edu/cxg286/Math484_V1.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> If anyone can link good lecture notes or recommend me a book with practice problems that would be great.

There is no such thing. I'll literally curse anyone who posted Stanford's Convex Optimization course.

Optimization is a shit subject. All books are shit.

I assume you're German, because their curriculum has such a hard-on for optimization.

As everything, last minute prep is bound to fail. Prepare yourself mentally.
Best course of action, to make sure you can do all of the HWs and practice problems and past exams.
Ask your classmates, and tutor for help.

I can sympathise with how a lecturer and shit powerpoint lecture slides can make simple things seem horrifically complicated.

Try to find out what textbook your course is based on and look in there.

>My lecturer is so fucking garbage it's unbelievable. His lectures are the most boring thing imaginable, he's just standing there awkwardly fidgeting a bit with his hands and talking in himself. Worst of all, the course material is useless. ...

Excuses. Everyone in your class has the same problem.
The only difference is they didn't whine and actually did the work.
That's why you'll fail and they won't.

>I assume you're German, because their curriculum has such a hard-on for optimization.

Close, I'm Dutch.

>Optimization is a shit subject. All books are shit.

I've noticed the same thing while searching the internet. I've found one non-shit lecture notes pdf and that's this one:

personal.psu.edu/cxg286/Math484_V1.pdf

I actually managed to get a 7.6/10 for my last test from this course because I studied from these lecture notes. Unfortunately this one doesn't cover any of the topics from the coming test, so I'm on my own now.

Honestly I knew these responses were coming. But who are you to say my classmates are gonna pass? Most people are barely managing. Out of a group of 120 people, maybe 40 attend his lectures. A lot of people have already given up passing the course this year.

> Close, I'm Dutch.

Then you're fucked. Dutch unis are really tough.

I believe you are still a junior or sophomore

So wise.

Is the optimization/linear programming class in the CS department or is it in the math department?

Math department.

>Honestly I knew these responses were coming. But who are you to say my classmates are gonna pass? Most people are barely managing. Out of a group of 120 people, maybe 40 attend his lectures. A lot of people have already given up passing the course this year.

Isn't that the laziest excuse of them all? Others didn't do so well either, so it's normal for me to do shit.
Just excuses, instead of attending the class, asking questions, observe any hints for the exam, let's just stop attending the class.

>moving the goalpost
Yeah you can leave the thread now. You first said that others are probably passing the class, well guess what, they aren't. Now you're telling me not to look at others because they're doing shit in it.

Also, how is your response useful in any way? I already know I have to study. I already AM studying. I'm just looking for better resources to study.

> I already AM studying.
> still posting on Veeky Forums

You might have a point there.

From the math classes I took, the textbook doesn't match the content of the class very well; where the class notes are so much more intense than the chosen textbook. Even the answers to the proofs were much simpler in the textbook than what was actually expected in class. Try combing the library to find a book somewhat close to your professor's style and one that matches to the precision of the class.

Should have prepared and self learned the subject before signing up for the class. :)

Optimization is awesome, and arguably the most important area of CS and/ or math in terms of its practical applications.

Git gud.

How did you learn it?
All books have different notation and coverage. There is no set standards. Modern books focus more on machine learning application, what a fad.

If you find the book in the math section of the library, it should be mostly math.

>ILP modelling, Dual Simplex Method, Branch and Bound algorithm, P vs NP and approximations algorithm.

You're looking for combinatorial optimization textbooks. Ex. "Combinatorial Optimization: Algorithms and Complexity" by Christos Papadimitriou and Kenneth Steiglitz.

It might be a bit formal though, but it's worth investing that time if you have it.

Fuckoff retard, you're a fucking /a/ tier poster.

Go take your bitter insecurities out on one of the loser boards like /r9k/.

For optimization, what everyone does is to find books that covers more specific topic; like integer programming, vector optimization, combinatorial optimization, etc. The general survey-type texts suck. This is another reason why every lecturers rely on their own notes.

Why so angry?

>There is no such thing.
>Optimization is a shit subject. All books are shit.
~ L U E N B E R G E R ~

>My lecturer is so fucking garbage it's unbelievable. His lectures are the most boring thing imaginable, he's just standing there awkwardly fidgeting a bit with his hands and talking in himself. Worst of all, the course material is useless.
Stupid American lol