Speed of Light in a Vacuum

Ok Veeky Forums nerds I'm here to ask you guys to redirect me to the experiment that measured the speed of light in a vacuum. From everything that I've researched, the speed of light has been determined using lasers and mirrors. Every single experiment I find can't prove light passes through a vacuum.

Tell me why I'm dumb. Is there an experiment that can prove light can pass through a vacuum?

If the speed of light slows down in water, then wouldn't the speed also change in a vacuum? The speed of light must change when in a vacuum if it is able to travel through nothingness at all. All experiments were conducted in our atmosphere.

It takes simple math to find that it takes light from the sun about 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach Earth. These claims insist that the speed of light is the same as the results conducted in our atmosphere.

Other urls found in this thread:

adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1935CMWCI.522....1M
tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1778.pdf
npl.co.uk/about/history/research/speed-of-light/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There HAVE been experiments in vacuum. And they have verified that speed of light is 3*10^8 m/s.
However, air has a very small diffraction coefficient (about 1.01) and so the velocity for air is almost the same as c.

The instantaneous velocity of a photon never changes. The only reason why light is "slower" going through a transparent or translucent material is because it is being refracted and thus is not taking a direct path from the source to the viewer.

What experiments? That's what I'm trying to see. How did they do it?

The simpler method is to use a vacuum pump to remove the air from a closed volume.
Then start the laser.

>the maker of OP's image couldnt convert m/s to mph to make the sign more authentic
Garbage image pls delete

The first time it was attempted in near vacuum:
adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1935CMWCI.522....1M

Modern measurements:
tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1778.pdf

npl.co.uk/about/history/research/speed-of-light/

>Is there an experiment that can prove light can pass through a vacuum?
>It takes ... light from the sun about 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach Earth.
>Tell me why I'm dumb.
If not a vacuum, what do you think lies between the Sun and the Earth?

>Vacuum

No such thing in nature.

>If the speed of light slows down in water

The speed of light does not change. Speed != velocity

yeah there is
see: space

>See the aluminium props in a Hollywood basement
lol Americans...

It should also be affected by gravity; citing photons that do not escape black suns (holes). They must be slowed down unless it's some relativity thing going on.
How would anyone measure vacuum anyway? What is it? The lack of breathable air? Extremely few O2 molecules? Lack of dust? Hard to contain a region of space that contained no dust, even in the deep, dark, despairing depths of space between stars.

Assuming space and dark matter is real.

Assuming gravity is real over electromagnetism

I just wanted someone to provide evidence. Why can't we get two satellites in space then point lasers between them and find the speed?

>Assuming space and dark matter is real.
are*
Good grief. Are you a flat Earther / Moon landing was a hoax kind of guy?

I suppose they could use two satellites. But why do something that costs so much, when it could be done for so much less? For instance, pointing at the reflector on the Moon?

It costs nothing, they already have it! You fucking idiot, radio waves are still light... Geez weez kid

Before you go calling the kettle black, pot...
Can you name any two satellites that have been designed such that they can communicate with each other for the purpose specified?
Or were you just in a hurry to ambush someone with what you though twas a clever trap?

BTW... the post specified lasers. Not radio waves.
Get a hold of yourself. You're a bit unstable.

The definition of a "meter" is the distance travelled by light in vacuum 1/c seconds. Therefore, the speed of light is exactly c.