Why is information so expensive?

Why is information so expensive?

Books are terribly costly. My course book is $175.
Many articles cannot be accessed by my uni. Few pages costs about $35.

Other urls found in this thread:

abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=17421277996
abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=17415173442
sci-hub.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The US education system is not for educating but to make money. It's a money machine.

In Europe f.e. you don't need to spend that amount in any way. In my University we get even the math books as ebooks for free mostly or have a huge library with 10-80 pieces of each we can take over the semester.

I don't envy US students in any way.

Because producing information is expensive and authors aren't your slaves

many of my classes charge $100+ just for the pass needed to do fucking online homework
while the books are $175-$350
uni is the most jewish institution to ever exist

>I hate it when people want compensation for their time and service
how much tax have you two paid?
gonna go ahead and say 0 dollars
fucking kill yourselves, you entitled fucks.

buy international edition books.

Garbage in garbage out. US taxpayers pay next to nothing for education and so all the costs are transferred to the few who can afford to go. You voted in these tax laws so don't be surprised when your country ends up with third world level education and retard voters who vote against their best interests.

Theres pretty much is no point in buying research articles if your ink doesn't have sci-finder access. It's just too expensive to sustain long term. Elsevier basically holds a monopoly on research information and its retarded.

I worked before University four years fulltime as software developer and even worked while doing my BA part-time all the way. I'm Nevertheless, tax isn't relevant to that one in anyway. It's a matter of politics and when your Professor is shilling some kind of textbook with homework some poor student have to pay some just can assume that education isn't the first priority. I mean our University is distributing textbooks digital and in the library for almost nothing. But the US system isn't like that meant to be. As long you study 10 hours/week and pay your tenthousand of dollars you get your degree.

I surely will not buy them. Our uni gets few articles in Elsevier for free, but most of them are not. I cannot find information that is free. Well, I pirated a book about the subject but that pretty much it.

eurofag here, can confirm
did exchange semester in burger land, was shocked about the cost of course books, even for rental.
>Rent: 60$
>Buy: 80$
>ok buying seems to be the better deal
>sold it at used book store across the street for 4$ at the end tof the term
US wants poor people to be dumb, thats about it

Can confirm, frenchfag here, never had to buy one math book for class, but the ones I did buy were either old library books or international edition.
It's amazingly cheap for brand new books (granted usually you have to order them from freaking india and wait a month but it beats paying 80 bucks for a book, sample: abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=17421277996 ; abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=17415173442 )

Are you guys for real?
libgen.io for Library Genesis
sci-hub.bz
Torrents, ZeroNet, Tor libraries
Don't your professors hand out pdfs of their books? Why has no one taught you how to get all this stuff for free?

i get books from india faster than from the US. they ship them by DHL from india and i get them the same week/in 3 days. in the US the fuckwad sellers ship them by USPS media mail and that shit can take up to 3 weeks.

torrent books, buy used.

fuck the kikes

Check SCI-HUB:
sci-hub.io/

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN RIGHT

>Don't your professors hand out pdfs of their books?
that's straight up illegal in the US, it's one thing to introduce the textbook and say "well you can probably find it for less than $300 online ha ha" and another to distribute illegally downloaded copyright material, thatd just be asking for the school to get sued and you to get fired

I think if the professor was handing out copies of a book they wrote themselves then it's more of a grey area, since they probably still retain some kind of right to their own work. Their publisher might not be happy about it though.

I never heard of any maths professor who asked his students to buy a book. Maybe for Major but for the four previous years, he should write everything on the board and give some polys.

Btw there is also the librairy.

Hontou no baka. This is precisely why people in USA are more manly than German, English or French. Because they can rarely afford uni - well some wimim like gender studies degree or underwater lesbian choregraphy degree - so they have to work and become responsible. Most of europeans are not responsible by 24.

>being poor
Lol poorfags make me laugh xD

I have to pay to use the required homework software and lose 15% of my grade if I don't lol.

>Buy expensive textbook
>almost never have the need to use it

>tfw you download all your shit from libgen

Feels illegal man

>Why is information so expensive?
The dictatorship of capital

In the documentary of aaron schwartz, this point was actually addressed and he was jailed and prosecuted for liberating scientific knowledge from JSTOR.

He committed suicide after immense pressures from the prosecution, even when JSTOR said they didn't want to prosecute him.

Strange that this hasn't been fixed yet. Your country is weird (assuming you're USA)

>tfw university bookstore prints their own course notes and binds them together with a shitty plastic ring and charges 40-50 each for them
>since they're some nobody prof's linear algebra notes and they suck ass nobody has ever uploaded them anywhere

Interesting. I once watched the first hour or two of David Harvey's treatment of V.1 and he started off, once he actually got going into the text, with teh first 'loop' in this chain, drawing the class' attention to its loop-form.

>David Harvey
Well, small world. It's an excellent lecture series desu

>an important area where private profit spectacularly diverges from social need
Well obviously it's the jews

Not sure about other fields, but you can read preprints of pretty much all physics articles at arxiv.org regardless of where you are. Sometimes there's even textbook preprints up there (though definitely not intro ones)

This online homework shit is pure fucking jewish cancer.

90% of undergrad coursework hasn't changed in over 100 years. that thermo book from the 4$ 1970's is literally just as good for as that 300$ one. shit, just get the previous edition of Abe books, thats what i do.

faggot publishers figured this out and sold the online homework scam. i thought it was just my shit school that did it, but even some of the ivies do it too.

it's a real scam. download/torrent when possible

and if you end up having to buy them, and want to be a real dick, send your old textbook off to get scanned and then upload the pdf to TPB

A wise academic advisor once told me, with a college degree you should get paid for what you know not what you do. Hence if you want a piece of my knowledge, you will pay what I am charging.

>my knowledge
>implying that you're buying/downloading a patent
>implying that money goes to the creators
>implying the creator's work isn't milked by publishers and universities that have a monopoly
>implying most of research, data, discoveries, knowledge wasn't done solo/free of charge/state funded
>implying we're looking into Intel's or GSK privately funded results and not some university lab rats

Its a fucking scam, whoever defends it should kill themselves and drink bleach, in any order.
We need that data and knowledge, its ilogical and unreasonable for publishers and editors to have a monopoly over the work of people.

We need that knowledge if we want the world to advance and be educated, otherwise we'll be stuck with 20th century books.

>You have a right to an education, integrity and self-determination
My ass I do, I must bleed money.

>faggot publishers figured this out and sold the online homework scam. i thought it was just my shit school that did it, but even some of the ivies do it too.

Of course they do. Publishing company reps sign contracts with the deans that force X number of classes to use their online portals. This way, the football team has enough money to upgrade their tights with new logos.