Anyone else get really inspired from this show and kind of wants to become a chef afterwards...

Anyone else get really inspired from this show and kind of wants to become a chef afterwards? I hate it because it's always something that's been in the back of my mind and I'm very indecisive, but I already have a sort of career path I would like to follow. But goddamn as someone who is pretty mean spirited and generally isn't too fond of people it seems attractive. The only caveat is that I'll probably hate my life even more.

Actually it made me want to work in wildlife and nature conservation.

yeah, but im too lazy

if you're anti social the kitchen is perfect for you
i don't mean like, social retards
assholes thrive
no weekends or holidays forever though
i like it but i like holidays more

It made me realize that I would hate being a fancy chef. All that weird plating with tweezers and tiny spoons and twigs and shit would drive me crazy.

It kinda made me want to open a burger joint.

Yeah, this. I would love to get into being a chef if it was a 35-40 hour week situation

No because they're all meme chefs

As much as I love cooking and the reactions I get from people who try my food, I know a career in it just means long thankless hours for not that much pay. Even if I scraped all my money together and bought a food truck or a restaurant, I would spend all my waking time there and I definitely do not want that for my life. I've resigned to make money elsewhere and cook myself and the people I care about great food

Yeah I'm not a social retard, but def kinda anti-social. That's also why I'm into the arts. I do photography, but I can definitely carryover some facets of both fields, maybe by working in a kitchen and photographing behind the scenes and whatnot. I just probably couldn't deal with all the hours and not having a social life/family eventually. But maybe I'm lying to myself

Yeah that's how I ultimately rationalize my thoughts. If I did pursue it, I'd obviously want to end up like some of these chefs, but they're a tiny fraction of all the chefs worldwide. And most of them are pretty much savants.

I got inspired as fuck with making food after I watched it last summer. Now I've eaten frozen pan pizzas the last week and a half. Where did it all go so wrong?

It's a great show, but if you get into it sometimes you need a friend there to shout out when it gets silly. Some of the chefs they feature are just way too fucking high on life. That South Korean monk in the new season was at first super enlightening and inspirational but once the exotic nature fades it becomes clear that she's just an old woman making fairly bland vegetarian dishes, and everything else around her is just talked up spirituality. That food critic who spoke for part of the episode of is a clear example of someone who bought into the bullshit way too much. If you listen to his commentary again, his descriptions are surprisingly devoid of any real details because the true meal is bland- it just has entertaining, spiritual theatrics all around it.

True, that episode was an outlier, though the head chef of le bernardin going there and becoming inspired certainly warranted all the plaudits.

It made me want to go to a diner instead of some pretentious assholes 400 a head tasting menu snob restaurant.

Give me guy fieri over these wannabe artistes any day.

Fuck I hated that show.

Lemme guess, flyover? You're right endless apps got nothing on these hacks.

Actually started working as a chef between season 1 and 2. I would recommend the job if you really have a passion for cooking, have had a shitty life and have no other good opportunities left.

Could you elaborate on that? Why do you think that?

No Toronto by way of NYC. Lemme guess, you wear a fedora, are 19, live in a dorm, smoke a pipe and drink hennesy vs because you think it's classy.

>Toronto
Flyover

None of those things actually, I can just appreciate haute cuisine. They are total visionaries who have elevated food into from a simple matter of consumption to an experience involving all the senses. You're just very clearly narrow minded and can't fathom the fact that people can show adroitness and creativity with such a basic and ubiquitous medium.

Some chefs there were a bit pretentious. Though all and all great as fuck series and super inspirational. Cinematography was seriously good, and that orchestral sound track really made it.
Flyover fags are gonna bitch, but if a Chef can open an establishment and be successful while charging 350+ a head, and be booked full weeks ahead, they're obviously doing something right. Also just working at an establishment like that for a year or more is one hell of a resume point. Talk about job opportunities, and the skills you will come out of a place like that with can be exceptional.

i think you have to be a person thats easily manipulated if you are able to watch netflix "documentaries" without getting pissed at either the pretentiousness or the manipulativeness.
Ive been to many great restaurants, i watch many foodshows and i am a very good cook, and still this show managed to piss me off in less than 30 minutes,even though i was looking forward to watching it, most of these people are just so full of themselves, filled with a pretentious righteousness and a fake environmentalism. Maybe ohe chefs are nice people but the agenda of the production just makes me want to turn the tv off. tldr: disliking a tvshow says nothing about your appreciation for food

I liked it, except for the French woman who's menu was a poem about her dead father. That was just the height of 'Artiness'

maybe you just have pure, unfettered autism

It has nothing do with being "easily manipulated". Obviously these guys are full of themselves and often pretentious, but when you get to the level they have reached, it's hard not to be.

No, it's not. You will turn like that if you already start with a shitty mentality like yours.

Ripert is like some pseudo Buddhist who wanders around deserted islands eating grass.

He got old and had a crisis.

I agree. While I do appreciate amazing high end restaurants, I like the down to earth type, "do one thing well" restaurants that Guy Fieri usually features. Most of they time they are started/run by a person or family that just enjoyed cooking and were able to make a business out of it. No pretense at all.

Alright and I could care less. Keep on watching shows and movies for their relatable and likable characters, pleb.

ah people who take nice photos of their food and develop a nice web presence go far.
for the hour reasons it is why people run nice health day cafes or become teachers.
teaching is fun because you can build your portfolio in a less intense environment.

Kek, you are retarded.

I was tipsy and decided to watch it and I got emotional listening to them describe their work. Specifically (I think S1E2) where the guy talked about how all the cheese got ruined and he got all the other chefs to incorporate cheese into their dishes so it wouldn't go to waste.

zzz i disagree, there are amazing documentaries out there, for example about ferran adria and his research in the culinary field, the directors and production and ferran adria himself didnt make a huge fuss about everything, he also said he hated the actual cooking - you see the difference? Chefs table is just designed to make people fall in love with the magical,perfect and conscious cookingfairytale that just doesnt exist, if you like to watch this culinary hipsterfiction thats up to you, i prefer a more honest approach to the subject of docus

thats the part that pissed me off the most, this whole "chefs save the world" thing got really stupid, as if thats what actually happened

The drinking age here is 21 and nobody is going to buy alcohol for an underaged aspie

>One chef asked the world to use more parmigiana

KEK

No they dropped all the cheese wheels and they can't be sold like that so all the local chefs took the broken wheels and used it. It was really heartwarming.

For me it really helped me deal with some personal issues, had a shitty childhood and working in the kitchen really helped me in terms of discipline. The long hours also fixed my problems with insomnia (diagnosed)

First 2 episodes were really cool and inspiring.
Immediatley lost interest after that.