/gsg/ - Grad School General

Is is it safe to say I'm almost definitely not getting into grad school this cycle?

>applied to 11 biomedical PhD programs
>1 interview invite and 3 rejections so far
>heard nothing from the rest

Just do something else.

Is there anything I even can do with a bachelor's in neuroscience?

Train up a skill set as a developer and try to shove your way into an ML or AI job.

Thanks for the suggestion. Still wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who can comment on the admissions process...

>applied to 11 biomedical PhD programs

lol are you kidding me

I only had to apply to 3 places before I got an offer.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your application and cover letter. Get it checked by a pro or a friend.

My advisor said he liked my cover letter and my uncle (has a JD and PhD) said my CV was solid.

Letters of rec were great too.

I think the biggest red flags on my app are mediocre GPA (3.56), GRE quant. (76th percentile),
and applying close to the deadlines (like, REALLY close)

Try again next year, it might just be a competitive year. I was more shit than you but I got in to a program, then again, less competition in 2002.

>Is is it safe to say I'm almost definitely not getting into grad school this cycle?

Well, my SO had applied to 10, interviewed with 2 or 3 (I think 2), and got 2 acceptance letters.

That was after a second round of applications. My SO finished undergrad in 3 years, so I think most of the programs didn't want to accept someone that young? Or maybe my SO just wasn't lucky.

I don't know, but, that is how these things work. Just go with the flow and don't stress out too much.

Can we stop this meme? We produce enough CS graduates already. Good ones. And there's too many qualified developers who would like to move to US. It's really not that easy to get a programming job just with a math, physics, or bioinformatics degree.

2002 and the current year are night and day as far as competitiveness of college admissions
goes. Congrats though, user, I'm jelly.

There is pretty much 0 chance you're going to get a machine learning or AI job since the real ones tend to require PhDs in CS/Statistics and the lesser ones require a masters

Thanks. Any idea of when they got their interview invites?

>applying close to the deadlines (like, REALLY close)

This would be your biggest problem, but I don't know if they would count that against you or not. I think some programs do. It probably depends on the school, and I think it looks lazy/sloppy.

I worked for a head of a biology department. He said that they don't put too much weight on GPA and standardized testing. Basically, as long as you were a bit above the min. req. you should be pretty good.

Mostly, as long as you have stellar references and an application letter, you should be good. I think they are looking for proof (stories/character/etc.) that show you will be someone that they want to work with in the future.

>t. CS student who's just about to enter the job market.

>Thanks. Any idea of when they got their interview invites?

Sorry, I do not remember. My SO applied 3 or 4 years ago.

I do and don't understand this; while I could understand why someone would see it as lazy,
if you have a problem with applicants applying a certain amount of time before the deadline
(say, a week), then why not just push the deadline back a week? Also, couldn't you also argue that
it's lazy to not spend as much time on an application as possible?

It appears bad to apply late because you should've had your application pretty much completed as soon as they start accepting them.

That said, I highly regret applying and taking classes at the same time given my time
management skills

Do I have to wait till the fall to apply to grad school for the following fall semester or do some programs take on grad students both semesters?

For master's sometimes, for PhD almost never.

If you got to the interview stage you actually have a good chance of getting in. The interview generally is just to verify you aren't a total sperg or asshole.

I'm starting a master's this year in applied maths.
Living the life of a wageslave for just 2 months fucked me up. I'm just going to milk it the most that I can with scholarships and work + studying and hopefully do the same with a PhD.

Too early to say, you haven't heard from a few places. But, you do have an interview. Your odds are much better (at least better than half, some places offer 2/3 to 3/4, others offer everyone they interview).

Work as a lab tech in academia for few years. Then apply to grad school, or med/dental, or an RA position in industry.

>tfw applied to two engineering phd programs
>accepted to both
>only one was willing to pay me
>went into that one
should have applied to mediocre schools, fagtron.

you're just jealous that we (CS) get all the jobs ha

>mediocre GPA
>3.56

well I'm fucked I applied for PhD programs with a 3.2

if you're a darkie you can still get in. a guy in my lab got in with a ~3.0 GPA and an F in his final semester because he's hispanic.

I only applied to schools which explicitly said on their websites that their students get tuition
waivers and stipends; I'd rather not go to grad school than pay for it, which is why I would never
get a master's
Probably not fucked if the rest of your app is solid; GPA isn't weighed as heavily in PhD admissions as MD.

Also, life science majors have pretty bad grade inflation due to bitchy pre-meds, so I wouldn't worry
about it too much if you're a CS, eng, math, etc. major.

>well I'm fucked I applied for PhD programs with a 3.2

Not necessarily. GPA is one of the less important factors in grad school admissions. Typically, GPA is used to screen applicants; often, there's an index that combines GPA and GRE to measure applicants' scores.

But, once applicants pass the cut-off, GPA and GRE are no longer factors. Research experience is the most important factor, followed by letters of recommendation, followed by statement of purpose and/or personal statement (varies by school, but why the applicant wants to go that program and why a PhD).

I applied to all the programs the day they were due kek

How fucked am I?

I'm minority, 3.7 gpa, 76th percentile for GRE, and 3 years ungerfrad research

Im honestly shitting bricks desu

>just started PhD 4th year

i hate every waking minute of it

>I applied to all the programs the day they were due kek

desu this is what I meant by "REALLY" close; I assumed 12/1 deadlines meant 12/1 at 11:59 PM.

Other than your GRE your app looks pretty good assuming good LoRs, PS, and CV

Which major and why do you hate it?

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

t. Alex Grandi

*willy waggler rally call*

all me

talex

white&based

BaSEDF

talex "alex" grandy

bump

WHITE AND BASED

Why the fuck is /gsg/ here, I haven't gone on it in a while did something happen

Wait nevermind I'm retarded

Nah, there's always hope. If you fail to get into one of your top choices, there's geniusintelligence.com of which you can use, retake your GRE and up your chances tenfold. Well, maybe not tenfold, but your chances will definitely increase. Godspeed

Wiggle your laddle lads

Med school apply