Can we have a thread about planetariums? I just had an awesome experience. Time for a cool starry bro

Can we have a thread about planetariums? I just had an awesome experience. Time for a cool starry bro.

I've been kinda pissed at modern planetariums skipping the star projection and instead showing you a movie of Neil deGrasse Tyson. So I decided to see the oldest American star projector in the country in Springfield's planetarium. Really disappointed when it turned out the day's program was a video about oceans or some shit.

But...I started talking to the presenter before the show started. Told this friendly old man how much I was looking forward to seeing a real star projection. Well, he said said if my girlfriend and I were the the only people there by the time the show was supposed to start, he'd scrap the canned show and give us the traditional projection he'd been doing for decades.

So that's exactly what we got. A 100% manual presentation about the night's sky, the seasons, and the constellations, run on a 1930s star projector, personally narrated by this man using the script he'd memorized years ago. For just the two of us.

Maybe I'm a faggot but that made me so fucking happy. I think the guy was happy someone showed up who actually wanted the real planetarium experience. Major props to chill old planetarium dude.

sounds like you had a good time, any photos perchance?

that would be amazing. not even kidding, would love to have that experience.

>skipping the star projection and instead showing you a movie of Neil deGrasse Tyson
LOOL

Gotchu covered

Seriously, I went to the Hayden in NYC last year and it was "Here's how black holes work, narrated by magic space negro."

Wow that is amazing, you are not a faggot. I'm glad this happened! I hope there are still star projections where I live.

If you're into weeaboo stuff Planetarian really is a good game/anime.

The planetarium I visited twice last year (in Germany) was actually very decent. They have a traditional star projector and a large 4k movie projector. It's pretty amazing to see that on that gigantic area 4k is fucking nothing, it looks obviously blurry compared to the real projection. Only problem is that the projection is kind of limited regarding what it can and can't do. The stars look absolutely amazing, almost as if they are real, but stuff like nebulae or planets are just not possible. So they just used the 4k projector and the traditional projection at the same time for the best of both worlds. Pretty cool shit.

I love going to planeh-ariums. I'm thinking about getting a job there.

Are you a cute robot girl?

>The planetarium I visited twice last year (in Germany)
Where?

Would read again

>I think the guy was happy someone showed up who actually wanted the real planetarium experience. Major props to chill old planetarium dude.
Speaking as a former planetarium director, I can tell you I'd be delighted to do manual star shows. The projector I had was a Spitz A2, but I don't know its year of manufacture. This was in the 1980s. I use an HP-41C with a Nav Pac and some code I wrote to extract planetary positions and point what amounted to 5 little flashlights that projected tiny dots to serve as planets. It would take about 10 minutes to set up for any particular night, but I would've taken pre-orders. But it was a small community college, and we couldn't afford canned shows anyway!

why not just play spaceengine.

>you got the Planetarian treatment
That's awesome. The only time I went to a planetarium was when I was a small kid, and that's more than 10 years ago. I've kind of forgotten about it, but I remember it's a mix of star projection and a show about the solar system.

>this pleb

That is really cool. We have one in town. I have not visited for a while because the last I heard some people got lice from the seats.

I will have to check it out again. Sometimes it is the little things that offer the most magic in life.

Downloaded stellarium yet?

OP here. I did play with that a while ago. It's pretty interesting but I'm not specifically into astronomy. Something about the live projection is really magical.

Kek

Seriously. Look up to see if there are any planetaria at local colleges. Contact the director. Get a bunch of friends and ask for a show. Really strong likelihood they'll do it for you.