Does Veeky Forums believe tachyons exist

Does Veeky Forums believe tachyons exist

No havent seen proof yet

>his reading comprehension is lower than that of a monkey
Please reread it

>No havent seen proof yet

The proof is in the absence of proof. LMAO

no

yes, but when you treat it like a field, it stops going FTL and you just get a normal field like the Higgs.

Tachyon fields in quantum field theory (and in general) do not violate causality, ie a compact support deformation will remain within its own Cauchy development, due to rather general theorems in general relativity.

The closest thing to a field violating causality in QFT would be a coupled Rarita Schwinger field, but so far no fundamental field seems to be described by it.

this is a great opportunity to quote a post number that's not been posted yet to answer that posts question, making a funny joke about the topic.

math guy here
how would we observe tachyons
if we did observe one, how would we interpret the results

We wouldn't
We would see the effects of a tachyon

that's literally observation in particle physics

Don't be a retard look at OPs pic

see

Tachyons, as particles, can't exist. Physics would implode.

Tachyonic fields, can exist.

A field would imply there is something making it
A gravity field can't exist without a graviton

nigga thats a dildo

/pop/ get the fuck out

Tachyonic fields are unstable and it prevents tachyon particles from ever actually existing.

*prevents them from causing signals to travel FTL, they still exist

Tachyons therefor jump, the field created is from the jump

Will slipspace ever exist?

TAK YON

He's not asking about tachyon fields (fields with complex mass,) but tachyons (particles unrelated to tachyon fields.)

Tachyons were a theoretical result to tachyon fields, but later determined to not actually be a resultant. Which explains the name similarity.

As I'm sure you know, tachyons are particles with reverse causality. Ie. Particles that go back in time.

The two concepts share a name for historical reasons. It's been proven that tachyon fields exist (higgs field for example.)

The higgs boson, however, isn't a tachyon.

I don't have belief either way.
Maybe you should read better.

Who are you quoting?

>asking for 'believe' as in having faith
>on a science board

No, I don't have faith in tachyons, now get out.

On the other hand, because of Malament's theorem, point particles do not actually work in relativistic quantum mechanics. Hence you cannot have point tachyons.

Other than that, as said, a few theoretical fields have faster than light propagation, but they don't seem to describe anything real. The Rarita Schwinger field coupled with electromagnetism, continuous spin representations, I think some string theory has FTL propagation. Generally spacelike propagation is pretty bad news because it's gonna give rise to some breakdown of the Cauchy problem and then basically you don't know what will happen.