So wait, what is the superior engineering major again?

So wait, what is the superior engineering major again?

Other urls found in this thread:

payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/bachelors
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Petroleum>nuclear>chemical>architectural>electric>computer>everything else

mechanical

ot op but, specifically which major for:
-bare dollar?
-most interesting?
-jobs/job security?

Aplied math literally gets all the jobs engi majors get.

Many engi job postings prefer math/physics over engi.

The non math parts of engi courses are non proprietary methods that mean nothing to employers

>Petroleum
lol not now, gas is way down and companies are hemorrhaging money and employees.
>nuclear
too controversial, few new plants being built
>chemical
see petroleum
>architectural
Do you mean civil?

Social engineering

nope.
hacking

>t. unemployed undergrad student of mathematics

ChemE is not just O & G. There are a lot of other industries that are doing pretty well currently

Electrical engineering is Elder God tier and has so many career opportunites. Even at my mid tier uni their are 8 "specializations" to choose from for undergrad to focus more on your desired path(s).

Holy shit this list is so bad, top 3 are any order of chem, elec, and nuke. Petroleum is a meme

I honestly don't believe this

I'm currently studying Mechanical but considering switching to electrical. I've heard mechanical engineering jobs are primarily just putting shit into a spreadsheet and not even using any real maths which puts me off. Does anyone here work as an electrical engineer? what do you do day to day? I think I would like to major in either Nuclear or Nanotech (i know it's a meme but it'd still be interesting).

Which major for space related shit? Im going back to school and want to do space related shit

Which is is best and by what definition?

Petroleum will only last so long.

theres some good aerospace engineering degrees here in europe
maybe specialize in astrophysics or something?

Thanks user, im really not at the point of figuring any of this out yet, im just really exited about this happening, "this" being me quitting my retarded fucking job and doing something that doesnt make me want to shoot myself every time i think about it

Food engineering

>Petroleum
$300k starting

fun fact: 99% engineering jobs are boring as shit and life is boring, shitty and disappointing. barely any of us will be the next oppenheimer working on the most powerful weapon ever created, getting to say cool lines out of the bhagavad vita, pushing the limits of human thought: we will be at a desk, using basic math to make 1/1000000 of a device that means barely anything to the buyer, barely does anything to change the world, and then we will die and our devices will rot with us, replaced by better versions made by someone else

ah okay yeah thanks
so i should switch to electrical then?

yeah sure, the major title doesnt matter so much though w/r/t which job you get though

Pajeet, I have NEVER met an applied mathematician in my 10 year engineering career.

Electrical >= Mechanical POWERGAP > Irrelevant "engineering"

-t. Completely nonbiased electrical engineer

fucking retard.

MATH is best engineering major (so u can go to masters' without getting fucked with advanced math) > electrical > computer > everything else

If you aren't working on developing computer technology, you are gonna get left behind in this day in age.

Otherwise go to medicine.

>Aplied[sic] math literally gets all the jobs engi majors get

Is that what you tell yourself every night to be able to sleep?

>If you aren't working on developing computer technology, you are gonna get left behind in this day in age.

The only Ph.D.'s I had teaching in high school were physics. It can take you places but physicists are mostly too weird to do anything with it.

1.civil - backbone of our society. without infrastructure civilization is not possible. oldest engineering discipline.
2.mechanical - man's ability to make machines to simplify his life is perhaps our most important asset.
3.electrical - electricity is so pervasive in modern society. without electricity, modern technology is not possible.
4.chemical - produces new chemicals/materials/medicines/etc. that enhances probably all other fields of engineering.
5.software - incredibly practical for things ranging from simple calculators to immensely complex simulations and everything in between.

the way i view it, none of these can exist independently of each other nowadays. the best way to judge them imo is to think about what would happen if the discipline never existed and how devastating it would be to modem society.

>Aplied math literally gets all the jobs engi majors get

maybe in your shithole country. only engineers can stamp prints in the US.

Computers are old news. It's too mature for any big developments to happen. I guess it's great if you want to be a technician.

Nuclear is an easy major, everyone I've met that does it isn't very smart, and the field isn't going anywhere. Did you make this list during the Cold War?

>what is the superior engineering major again
>and again
>and again and again
>and again and again and again
giveitup fgt pls

alright i'm the guy who is considering switching from mechanical to electrical.
Which one of those two would give me a better footing to do something good for the environment? That's pretty much the only thing i care about, i'm not passionate about making cars or making phones or whatever, i just want to do something substantial that would be good for the environment

Taking nuke but this still made me kek

There is literally something called Environmental Engineering, its a mix between CivE and ChemE and its job prospects are probably the best out of the fields that aren't Civ/Chem/Mech/EE/SE

environmental engineering is pretty cool. I know a couple if them and they get to be outside in interesting locations and do field research.

Its probably also the only legitimately useful environmental job type

None, engineers are all faggots.

partical physicist master race reporting in

Nice joke.

>petroleum
>everyone and their mother investing in renewable energy
Good carreer choice if you want to have a job for about 30 years

>I've heard mechanical engineering jobs are primarily just putting shit into a spreadsheet and not even using any real maths which puts me off. Does anyone here work as an electrical engineer?
I've talked to a guy who graduated as an electrical engineer. What he's doing right know is literally what you described.
I still don't understand why it is a bad thing, though.

electronics and computer engineering, everything else will be useless in 20 years.

Donald Trump just became president

I'm gonna start mechanical engg. Which majors should I choose if I also wanna get some programming knowledge? Going to Australia btw

>I've heard mechanical engineering jobs are primarily just putting shit into a spreadsheet and not even using any real maths

engineers use math to cover their asses in court and to help optimize something they already know intuitively. engineering is 90% feels.

He's gonna add a million clean coal jobs!

enough

Electronic/computer engineering is THE god tier degree. I've grouped them together because there's a lot of overlap.

>Ridiculous amount of job opportunities, be it software or hardware
>one of the most future proof degrees you can get
>can realistically get jobs as an electrical engineer, a software engineer, a computer engineer or an electronic engineer, massive room to move around within the industry
>constantly new technologies emerging, always room to learn more about your field, if you genuinely enjoy your work this is a great thing
>teaches the most abstract math of all engineering majors, meaning a high GPA in ECE is probably one of the best indicators of natural intelligence (abstract reasoning is seen as the most innate measure of natural intelligence, intelligence that cannot be taught if you will)
>while it deals with abstract math, it still has a very practical application, making it very practical in terms of employment, more so than math and physics
>the most occupationally mobile of the engineering degrees, without question. everything these days involves electronics or coding of some sort. the software side in particular is booming at the moment, you can realistically compete with computer science grads for the elite software engineer jobs at google / facebook (if you're a top student and youspend a few months reading CTC and the likes)
>the most suitable engineering degree for other career paths such as patent law and technical sales

I did a lot of research before choosing my career path. As of right now I want to work as a quant trader. I was strongly considering finance before I ultimately went with ECE. I'm glad I did, it's very difficult if you want the top grades (4.0 GPAs are much much rarer in europe) but it's well worth it. I love the challenge and I know a finance degree wouldn't challenge me intellectually.

payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/bachelors

(7/15 are related to ECE)

Oh and did I mention that we graduate with zero student debt in europe?

>I do lots of drugs so I will probably be dead in 30 years
>it pays really good so I can pay my addiction

dunno user it seems good in my head...

>quant

what a waste

>4.0 GPAs are much much rarer in europe
Yeah, and you know why? Because students who do not pay for their tuition don't know how valuable it is, ergo they do not invest as much time and effort as a student who understands that it is his money being spent and that he will be paying for his study and not somebody else (e.g. government).

except without the clean part

and the million part

Pretty much everyone I have spoken to who has spent time in America has said that their college system is far easier. There is much more spoon feeding and grade inflation. Also there's the option of taking retarded classes to boost your GPA, whereas here all the classes in engineering especially are highly technical.

It's largely due to the difference in high school / secondary school education. I studied the equivalent of 7 AP classes, in english, math, german, french, economics, physics and chemistry. Those exams were just as bad if not worse than any exams I've done in my 3 years of engineering.

Unless you're in an elite college (top 5) you aren't superior to your european counterparts, chances are you're equal or else inferior.

this is retarded generelisation. some countries don't have uni's don't have GPA's (cambridge at least not econ ba.) some requires 100% on test to give highest mark and if the examineers are in doubt between 100% and 99.99...% then there is a grade for that and if they conclude it is 99.99...% you get even lower grade

Its top 30 iirc, after that the average European uni is on a similar tier and I'm pretty sure after like 70 the drop off is rapid

>tfw in Chem eng, but interested in BME
any leaf engineers here who work in two or more different engineering disciplines? Would it be a good idea to just go through with ChemE and then get an MaSc in BME after?

>Oh and did I mention that we graduate with zero student debt in europe?

I think this is the way you should go.

Yes. As long as I can kill myself whenever I feel like it.

the american system is better because you are getting what you pay for. you can call it spoon feeding or hand holding, but i call it effective teaching. that is the purpose after all.

europoop's are literally proud of their draconian teaching methods and artificial difficulty.

Maybe, it's just that when I apply for my PEng license the degree (BME) might not qualify since its not a bachelors.

N-Nerdo Fighto >.

>A fucking weaboo

>(if you're a top student and youspend a few months reading CTC and the likes)

what is CTC

Hey guys I know this is only partially related, but can y'all redpill me on going into aerospace engineering?

do your undergrad in mechanical. take aero related electives (fluids, gas dynamics, etc). GET INTERNSHIPS.

only proceed to get a masters in aero if you can actually land a job in the aerospace industry. don't get a niche degree for your undergrad.

thanks for the advice man, that's also what i've heard from some other sources: mechanical first, then specialize

thoughts on majoring in neurobiology instead of biology?

The Holy Trinity is Electrical, Mechanical, Civil.

Chemical is really the only special snowflake.

Everything else is a meme tier over specialization.

I'm from Florida and I'm about to graduate with my PhD in ECE with no debt

/thread

If you want to focus on wind or hydroelectric power, go mechanical.
If you want to focus on solar power, go Electrical.