So this shit is just a meme as I discovered tonight

So this shit is just a meme as I discovered tonight

Other urls found in this thread:

cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/231-canned-whole-tomatoes
pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=38591.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>cento

memes are a meme

Tomatoes lose freshness very quickly, no matter how efficiently they're picked and canned. The imported San Maserati tomato meme is a sad and vile meme. If you haven't tasted a tomato fresh from your personal garden to your plate then you've never tasted an actual tomato. The "tomatoes" you buy from the store aren't tomatoes, they're genetically modified tomato product.

Lol I would never buy tomatoes from Italy

hnnnnngggg.
Dear faggots,
San Marzano tomatoes are heirloom tomatoes.
They're not grown exclusively in a specified anywhere in Italy.
There's no DOP label on the pictured can.
Heirloom tomatoes (when canned) have better flavor than the easy to grow & unripe tomatoes that are usually used in cheap canned tomatoes.
OP's pic is good and affordable. The DOP ones grown in Uranus, Italy cost twice as much and are not worth the price.
Quit it.

When ATK tested canned whole tomatoes they came to the same conclusion OP:
cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/231-canned-whole-tomatoes
After doing lab tests to correlate with their tasting panel they found that brands which have the highest acidity and natural sweetness yield the most fresh flavor. San Marzano cultivars (whether D.O.P. or not) came in around the bottom of their rankings.
Muir Glen Organic Peeled was their #1 pick.

Also the pizzamaking ingredient subforum for sauces has a giant thread for a boutique brand out of NJ called Sclafani with many posts saying its equal or superior to Muir Glen (they also like another brand called "6 IN 1" both of which are available on Amazon):
pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=38591.0

I love those san marzano, that exact can. I open it up, strain the juice into a glass, and drink that while I pour the tomatoes back into the can and eat them with a fork
they're expensive though

>Sclafani
Not falling for it Jack

you gotta can your own

corporate canned food a shit

>called canning
>actually use jars
i don't understand the south

because the process is older than mason jars

This. Because you can at the peak of freshness, not just the discarded ones that won't sell like our friendly, altruistic, neighborly multi-national corporations do.

OP here. Id gladly can these tomatos if they were available where I am but I live in ag zone 3a which means tomatoes are greenhouse only and only very select species.

i've had decent results with greenhouse romas
obviously not ideal. quality and economy suffer
your best bet might just be to stew your own as you need therm

B-but that's what fuhrer John tells me to use..

> no DOP label

You didn't even buy the right ones faggot

Uranus, heh

They're not much better.
is correct. Sclafani is good stuff.

I used to buy scalfani until jackposters made me hate that name

Now when I see it in the store I get mildly angry

Luigi Vitelli is pretty good, too.

yeah I buy vitelli mostly

obviously that isnt the exact can I bought friend

>$3.50 is expensive

I tried both DOP and non DOP Cento and found I liked the DOP ones a bit less

It is, comparatively. An equal size can of not san marzanos I can get for $1 or a little over, these are quadruple price

$9.99 tomatoes in season/bushel
$1.40 electricity
$5.97 canning rings
$0.02 tap water

36 500ml jars

$0.10/100ml

walmart house brand
$0.13/100ml

unico “premium”
$0.21/100ml

eden and muir glen organic

$0.50/100ml

I'm not going through all the fucking effort of canning my own, pickles are annoying enough, never again
I'd rather pay a couple cents more to have it done for me, and I DO buy the more expensive ones I like once in a while. It's not out of the question, but I can't get them as often as I'd like to eat them

enjoy your overpriced, sub par tomatoes then

This. Better yet, grow your own if you have space and can immediately after picking. My homegrown canned Romas btfo any imported or domesticated canned for a fraction of the price.