Who else geology in Veeky Forums? Finishing up my undergrad this semester...

Who else geology in Veeky Forums? Finishing up my undergrad this semester, trying to figure out if I want to pursue geophysics ($$$$) or paleontology.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/geologycareers/comments/4lj5tw/which_geology_concentrations_are_for_which_careers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Going for geophysics here

My uncle owns an exploratory oil drilling company so I can get right to work after graduating

paleofag here. finishing up my masters, getting ready to hopefully go for a doctorate.

aren't you worried about the recent cuts in exploration budgets by midsize petroleum companies as a result of falling oil prices?

gonna go into academia and teaching or are you interested in museum work? (or something else entirely)

probably academia, but I'd be interested in working for a museum that does actual research. there's substantial overlap.

>College offers online geology degree
>I'm completing the degree in person
>Afraid employers will see my degree as online

Which layers are chert and which layers are hematite? I keep forgetting

Finishing my undergrad in June. I want to go into planetary geology when I'm done here. Haven't applied to any graduate programs yet because I'm hoping to work a bit first.

Finishing undergrad in Gescience next year. LOVE geology, but don't know exactly what I want to study for grad school. Geophysics, geology, petrology? I can't seem to hone in on just one that I like. Thats kind of important, as that decides what schools I apply to.

Regardless of that, what real jobs are there outside of O&G? I always hear geo majors struggling to find work related to their field.

I'm considering doing geology and hopefully want to do something like get a masters in hydrogeology and then work in water conservation or something like that.

Is that a viable career path ?

That's probably the best job market in the geoscience field currently. If you've got a degree and actually know what you're doing you'll get swooped up by a semi-large city no problem.

>hydrogeology
You're going to be rich as hell

>Hydrogeology
Get a minor in project management or at least take a few classes for it. Hydrogeologists make ~60-70k/yr for the better of their careers. Having a specialization of some sorts in project management can get you promoted to a lead/supervisory position and bump that to 80k/yr and beyond.

reddit.com/r/geologycareers/comments/4lj5tw/which_geology_concentrations_are_for_which_careers/
I thought I was so unique when I decided hydrogeology was the way to go.
>water is super important
>water is kind of scarce
>there may be future water crisis
>immortan joe probably was a hydrogeologist

But I hear more about it more often now. I will continue with it though. I am not chasing the big bucks, only drinkable water.

let's see how those comp sci nerds do, when they can't find water.

I know what programs are out there. I just don't know which on will appeal to me the most

I wanted to do hydrogeology, but I was compelled to study mineralogy. I now work as a geotech-engineer lol.

Is the online degree a BA and yours a BSc?
Oil and gas, groundwater, soil conservation, state or federal ___ technician, mineral resources are some fields where you might find the most entry level jobs. If you have taken any GIS or Remote Sensing courses that will open up a wider range of possibilities if you are looking for a job quick.
Hydrogeology (esp. Groundwater) is becoming even more important especially in the west. And don't forget about environmental consulting. You are more specialized than an environmental science major.

I'm currently working towards BSc in geological sciences. Been seeing a lot of posts about geology guys, let's keep it goin

Howcome all you faggots do is talk about what degree you're doing and how much you get paid at the end? You sound like a bunch of engineers who aren't interested in science or what you study at all

Red = hematite, grey is chert. It's pretty obvious... Iron = oxidizes to red / orange.

Isn't that why everybody goes to college?

I'm a philosophy major but pursuing a minor in physics. Any chance I'll get into a geophysics MS program?

seconding this but biochem/chem

Why not just get a philosophy minor?

>philosophy major
no

What's that like?

how's your master's been?

not bad. I work with mostly civil guys, and I switch off between oil and gas support and big construction projects. I started at 55k, but with overtime and travel reimbursement I pull a salary in the mid 60s.

you have a much better chance than the philosophy guy.

chances are slight unless you are in direct contact with an adviser. I'd also recommend taking a few geophys courses during undergrad if you can fit it in.

Who geochem here?

Did undergrad research on gold exploration and salt inputs for river catchments and about to start my honourd year doing research on the forensic applications of geochemistry.

Based, I hadn't considered this. That may be the case, not sure how an online student would finish the rest of a BSc completely online.
At any rate, I helped a professor with research and published with him. That should prove my credibility.

gone pretty well. research had a few hiccups but should easily be publishable. still have to write my goddamn thesis.

Geochem here. Paleotemp proxies from corals. Looking into getting in the MIT/WHOI PhD. Program

If you hadn't considered this what makes you think the employers will?

Can you talk some about the forensic applications, if you've already done some preliminary research?

About to head off to work but the primary interest is in seeing if soil/dust traces can be used reliably as determination of location and provenance.

For example, if you find a body that has been dumped could you use soil on the corpse to determine the areas they'd been prior to their murder. Or matching the soil in a cars tread to a location where a crime took place.

It is also used to determine sources of environmental contamination.

Honestly, what real jobs beyond teaching are there if I have a masters in geology. I keep hearing the job market for geologists absolutely sucks right now and I really wouldn't want to move all around working in O & G.

That's funny because I'm actually in comp-sci now and going to switch next semester. I only did comp-sci because I didn't really know what to do and was supposed to go to college.

ayooo, masters is a bitch

>school of memes

Thinking about going there for my master's. How's your experience been user?

He clearly said it was a bitch

Having fun doing some dig volunteering, and the actual paleo guys seem to be well looked after with day jobs if you wanted to go down that path.

Online geology man again. I'm so fed up with this program. I go through cycles of telling myself it will be fine and telling myself it is all fucked up. I've concluded once again that it is all fucked up.

>Online students spend zero hours in the lab and earn the same degree. This counts for chemistry (virtual lab), physics (virtual lab), as well as geology (on-campus students do all of the lab work for them).
>Online students spend fewer hours in the field and earn the same degree.
>All exams are posted online. All questions are multiple choice. You have ample time and any resources at your disposal to complete them.

I would transfer, but I am in my 6th semester. I'm tempted to leave the geology as a minor and just finish out with a math degree. Even the math degree is online, though. I really just want a fucking brick-and-mortar school.

Theres such thing as an online geo degree?

Jesus I'm sorry. I absolutely hate how many hours I spend in the lab a week. But god knows I need to know what I'm doing. Do you not have mineralogy or petrology? You NEED to know how to use a petrographic scope if you're going anywhere

I'm in a weird spot. The degree is offered online and on-campus. I'm on-campus.

I get to go on field trips, do lab work for courses, and even lab work on the side for professors. Since the online students don't have a lab, the on-campus students get to do the lab work for them.

For example, in our mineralogy and petrology course (yes, we have that), the online students collected a bunch of samples in their area and sent them to our building. We (the on-campus students) made thin-sections out of their samples, took photos, and sent them to the online students.

On-campus students get the traditional geology undergrad experience, I would say. The only problem is that the online students don't. They will graduate with the same degree as me, but they've never touched a thin-section, a petrographic scope, a sieve shaker, you name it. I'm afraid this online shin-dig will make my degree less valuable.

On the bright side, my C.V./resume shows a continuous history of involvement at my current institution. I was a tutor/lab assistant for most of my semesters, I lead clubs, I volunteered in the surrounding area. Should be fine. Just to be sure, though, I'm going to complete field camp with a highly reputable uni. That will be my proving ground.

>PhD in geophysics
>300k starting salary
>Any job I want

Dubs confirm. Unlike the math meme, this is actually true.

>PhD in geochem
>300ppm Au samples starting
>Any deposit I want