What is mathematically the most important number?

What is mathematically the most important number?

I believe it's the Golden Ratio because it appears almost everywhere in nature. For example, the ratio of your height and the distance from your belly button to the ground is exactly the Golden Ratio.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_logarithm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably 1 or 0

What a stupid fucking question, kys

pi

It's 1. seconding the FPBP as well, kys OP.

t. have a math degree

Define "important"

>exactly the Golden Ratio
No it's not, faggot. KYS

The identity, so 1 and 0 probably equal.

Zero.
If someone had not contemplated zero and none, then no one would have thought to have one.

The concept of one predated the concept of zero. In fact, even one was not considered a number by the ancient greeks. Two was the first number, the origin of quantitative reasoning, and therefore the most important number.

Wrong. N is the most important number, for without N, we would not have N+1.

"+" Then symbolically is the most important as it is the common factor between your two responses.

But then "/" is the most important because without it we would have no factors!

Q.E.D.

>I believe it's the Golden Ratio because it appears almost everywhere in nature.
Wrong.

>For example, the ratio of your height and the distance from your belly button to the ground is exactly the Golden Ratio.
Wrong.

>nobody said e
psh....

>the ratio of your height and the distance from your belly button to the ground is exactly the Golden Ratio

Are you implying that our height and/or the distance from our belly button to the ground is irrational?

Holy fuck.

4.669201609102990671853203821578….

Feigenbaum constant

Any measurement of a real object is irrational.

Holy fuck... that's why they call them the reals... really makes you think

- 1 / 1 2

/

either 1 or pi

he's right
we've found languages used by primitive people that only have words for "one" and "many", and others that have "one", "two", and many, and many that only go up to five or ten
two or three would be very significant in human terms by marking the beginning of verbal counting (although people from these primitive cultures can count, if you ask them to get as many seeds as you have for example they can usually exactly match it, they just don't have specific words for what they're doing)

it's how much your mom weighs lmao

>the ratio of your height and the distance from your
>belly button to the ground is exactly the Golden Ratio
L0Lno ask a tailor or a physiologist fgt pls

ITT: Fools that think maths is about numbers.

>the ratio of your height and the distance from your belly button to the ground is exactly the Golden Ratio.
>exactly

>Or is it?

>the ratio of your height and the distance from your belly button to the ground is exactly the Golden Ratio.

Say that to my face, you fucking faggot.

>irrational number
>appearing anywhere but in flawed calculus textbooks
Oh sorry, it doesn't even appear there, they just truncate it to couple decimal places and brainlets claim they know everything about this infinite sequence of numbers having seen first 2, 5 or 100 of them

The most important number is the biggest one, so around 2^300

Are irrational numbers actually "numbers"? I mean they can't define a quantity.

Does 0 count too?

>I believe it's the Golden Ratio because it appears almost everywhere in nature.
No it doesn't

>For example, the ratio of your height and the distance from your belly button to the ground is exactly the Golden Ratio.
Have you checked this?

Go back to Facebook, where you can pretend you are smart for knowing e. That number recently has acquired some popularity with brainlets.

It is about quantities, which are expressed through numbers.

All of these are correct.

They very readily describe lengths, however, e.g. √2 in the context of a right isosceles triangle.

√2 is /shown/, as Wittgenstein might say.

The number 5. Without it we would not be able to count to 6

Obligatory

The Nicomachean harmonic ratio for ellipses/hyperbolas

AB:BC :: AD:DB

A is the end of the transverse
B is the point where the ordinate comes into contact with the diameter
C is the vertex
D is the point where the tangent from the ordinate comes into contact with the diameter outside the parabola

This one ratio allows for many geometrical deductions that are unbelievably important. Apollonius consistently utilized this.

If it's so important, how come I've never heard of it?

There is no definition for important in mathamatics.

pi is so fucking boring and normal. Brainlet detected.

>important?
they all do something and are 'equally' important.
>what number is the 'coolest'?
... is a better question and by far it is 2.718281828459 - or pic related

lets compare wikipenis size:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_logarithm
vs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1

There is no such thing as importance in math or science.
You're projecting.

>pretend you are smart for knowing e
high schoolers know about e
Everybody with half an education knows e

hell, math illiterates get euler identity tatoos

Pie, because it tastes good. HaHAA

42 xD

Isn't that the meaning of life?

No that's the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.

There is no meaning of life. However, the last message of god to his creation was "We apologize for the inconvenience"

Because alone can create space, subspace, it is the expected value of any space and subspace (including vector spaces). It has together no dimension and infinite dimensions.
Magic

>There is no such thing as importance in math or science.

It's not technically a number, you lose.

Because you havent read Nicomachus or Apollonius.

Skö's Constant

I still find the places it shows up amazing. Especially when you apply it to the complex analysis of Albrier pseudo-primes and their squared reciprocals

lucky number 7

Six. Hexagons are balanced and efficient, which is why its seen so much in nature.

it's about ideas.Quantities are just part of the framework for building the ideas, but essentially it's about form.

tau

>purposefully misunderstanding Ramanujan just for memes
for shame

>pi is...normal

Proof or GTFO.

90+% of the people on this board couldn't write a proof to save their lives.

Hexagons are awesome. If you inscribe a hexagon in a circle, a side is equal to the radius, and thus, can be split into 6 equilateral triangles.

By order of importance:
e
i

everything else is garbage or linked to this 4 constants.

but user, i is the same as 1

Philosophy is about ideas. Mathematics deals with only a specific set of ideas.