What's the easiest programming language to learn? I started C++ but that was too complex for me so I gave up...

What's the easiest programming language to learn? I started C++ but that was too complex for me so I gave up, but I'm ready to start again.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck
codecombat.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

isn't the language just a tool?

/thread

You might as well ask which language is the best to speak in. It's the ideas and thoughts you have that actually matter.

-1/12

Python.

The nice thing is tha

*The nice thing is that Python can be used for real work and for a variety of domains.

C

every other non-meme language is based on C

none, learn how computers process information, everything after that is syntax.

actually scratch that C# can be babby mode at times

machine code

every other non-meme language is derived on machine code

I meant syntactically you autist.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck
but seriously yeah probably python
>BUT ONLY IF U R RETARDED AT COMPUTERS

physics

every other non-meme language is derived on physics

Python is actually a pretty advanced language used mostly for math, statistics or system programming.

I don't get how you could recommend it to a beginner.

Dijkstra would disagree.

>When starting on a book like this, one is immediately faced with the
question: "Which programming language am I going to use?", and this is not
a mere question of presentation! A most important, but also a most elusive,
aspect of any tool is its influence on the habits of those who train themselves
in its use. If the tool is a programming language, this influence is —whether
we like it or not— an influence on our thinking habits.

Technically you might be true but some syntax is easier to reason about than others.

what this guy is saying
>ex: haskell vs C

I would recommend Python for ML/DS and for beginners wanting to learn how to program.

Python has simple syntax and only a few data structures to worry about. Plus, the language is not strongly typed. Also, you can do really fun, powerful things with it with little effort.

Actually, because of your post, I remembered a fun website I found to learn code.

OP might want to check out CodeCombat, codecombat.com .

its a script kiddie language used for people who don't want to deal/learn real programming and just squabble with poorly defined typing systems etc. Nonetheless its still a good stepping stone imo

I believe it's better to learn coding in a strong typed language.

If you don't understand how types work it's very easy to fuck up Python code and be unable to spot the problem.

That's why I believe C is a very good starter language. It teaches typing, but not in an invasive manner.

Lmao it's used widely for research you sperg

Anyway the answer is either C and then python and then whatever or start with python, both approaches are valid. I would suggest c because learning about memory and pointers is easy, cool and teaches you about programming in general.

C++ isn't hard. Get a book and read it.

python if ur noob.

Fortran

Good point.

Yeah, I guess C would be a good language to learn a strongly typed language (especially if OP used a Mac or Linux system).

I would have to vote for C# if I was going to recommend a strongly typed language though. Just because memory management in C drives all beginners crazy, and the toolset for C# is pretty solid.

C has lots of problems with aliases that make the type system more of a recommendation than something that can be enforced.

The problem I have with real beginners learning python is that they'll be taught a lot of concepts that are built into the language, but they won't really understand what's happening.
Dynamic languages in general are sometimes viewed as "babby languages" because of the simple syntax, but if you don't really understand what the syntax is doing then you will get stuck at some point.

Meh, same could be said for Java, which is a common first language. But you can learn the basics of programming in C without ever having to worry about memory allocation or pointers.

>Meh, same could be said for Java, which is a common first language.

I have used a lot of java tools (Eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ, text editors, etc.), but they don't really come close to the newer MS IDEs.

Plus, OP could make video games (unity) or mobile apps (xamarin) with C#.

You can't really take C programming that far unless you really dig in deep to it.

I actually enjoy Java, but I have never met anyone else who enjoys Java.

Seriously there's no right answer.
Python comes up a lot but the second you're asked to deliver an application someone else can install on their desktop it becomes unreasonably difficult.

JavaScript also comes up a lot but it's only "easy" because it's easy to open a browser and suddenly have a JavaScript console. But it's actually a horrible language.

Normally those programming cartoons are kind of dumb, but that was really funny.

Well, I am really proud that no one on Veeky Forums recommend JavaScript to OP.

Where is Scala???? Also, this is old because there is no Swift.

> easiest programming language to learn

Python

How does Java rate?

It's fine.
Honestly can't go wrong with it, just know that (correct) Object Oriented Programming is a lot more involved than what you'll learn in typical Java beginner courses.

assembler ofc

If that book actually existed I would buy the shit out of it just for comedic value.

Programming in Java and C# is almost identical for beginners and is very similar for professionals.

The big difference is that, if you are programming in C#, you are pretty stuck in Microsoft land.

How long does it take before you can be reasonably employed using the language?

And if you program in Java you are pretty much stuck in Enterprise land.

Let me introduce you to WebAssembly.

>And if you program in Java you are pretty much stuck in Enterprise land.

Java and C# are both Enterprise land.

That's not completely true with Java though. Java is used for ML, search engines (e.g. Lucene), etc. There are alot of powerful tools that people use that they don't realize are written in Java.

Yeah I'm actually a Java enthusiast, but it took me a long time to truly appreciate the beauty the language and its standard library.

But around here you can't say that without being ridiculed :(

i don't know a shit about programming but isn't this too much work for no reward?

that's the joke, dipshit

Yeah, definitely. It was sort of a half joke.

I don't know if you have noticed but Silverlight, Java Applets, and Flash are supposed to be phased out soon-ish.

WebAssembly is supposed to be the replacement for these technologies.

You are not supposed to write webassembly by hand.

Ruby on rails

>Ruby on rails

Ew.

In python, when you need to add two numbers, you add two numbers.
In c++:
#include
int main()
{
int a,b;
cin>>a>>b;
cout

>comparing interpreted and compiled language for the sake of propaganda

>c++
>too complex
honestly op you should just give up on programming

Go with Python and C. C++ and others are deprecated.

- Learn Python to learn Object oriented principles
- Decide where you want to end up
- Hardware: Start learning C and 8086 Assembly
- Software/web: learn how Python is applied to make websites (servers/apis etc). Additionally, pick up Javascript so that you can learn frontend stuff

just knowing Python will get you far.

I dropped out of unoi, and got a 80k full time job as my very first job because while you keks were being social at the age of 11, I was an autist in my home learning to make shit.

I started with BASIC, that's not too difficult.
But like other anons said, the language doesn't really make a difference; programming isn't about knowing all the commands and syntax by heart, but about understanding what data is, how it behaves and how it can be manipulated. The language is just a tool to do that.
With that said, a lot of the tutorials for C/C++ (and certainly the university courses) introduce you to the language with concepts that no absolute beginner really cares about (memory allocation, for example). They're important concepts and should be taught, but I believe it is more important for a beginner to be able to write working programs as early as possible, while understanding 100% of their code. That's why I believe that it is a good idea to start in a scripting language, to learn some basic algorithms and things like that, and then move on to "real" programming languages.

cont

The thing with C is, even when your program doesn't actually do anything (not anything visible like text output in the console, anyway), you still have a bunch of lines that a beginner doesn't necessarily understand. An echo program in C (two lines because code tags fuck with indentation):

#include
int main() {char mystr[20]; scanf("%s", mystr); printf("%s\n", mystr); return 0;}

Beginners will have to know
> what are includes
> what is stdio and why do I need it and what functions from there can I use
> what is this main function doing, how does the computer know to start there?
> why do I have to state the length of the string before I even know what the user will write?
> what's the difference between strings and char arrays and why can't they just implement a string type
> why are the function names for reading from stdin / writing to stdout so unintuitive?
> what are formatting operators?
> why all the semicolons?
> why don't I assign the output of the scanf function to the variable?
> what's with the \n thing?
> why do I need to return something when I don't use the result of the main function?
> why does it only echo the first word of what I type?
Just to write this simple program. Meanwhile in python:

mystr = raw_input()
print(mystr)

> no include directives, common io functions are built in
> intuitive function names
Granted, the raw_ might be unintuitive. Irks me as well.
> simply assign output of the function to variable
> type is inferred, length of string need not be specified in advance
> echos the entire string, as would be expected
> no main function necessary, just script and go, can focus on learning algorithms early
> no return value necessary
> no formatting operators necessary

>because the lack of code tags on Veeky Forums fucks with indentation
fixd

Depends.
Personally I would say

Eaesiest (beginner tier to learn, easy syntax and getting the core concepts):
Ruby, Python or C, Go (would not recommend to start though)

Mid-tier:
Java (usually taught as first language), Javascript, ...

Pretty hard for beginner-tier:
C++, Haskel/Scala/...,

Basically I would start with Ruby/Python to to get down the concepts, maybe Java and then whatever you wannt. C if you wanna do something with micro-processors, ...

If you know a partic. language learning the framework is way more time consuming than the language itself.

In the end, if you know one language good you can work yourself pretty much pretty fast in other languages through as well