Curries

What are some simple curries that I can make that doesn't require 237 ingredients?

Other urls found in this thread:

justonecookbook.com/how_to/how-to-make-curry-roux/
foodess.com/recipes/butter-chicken/
youtube.com/watch?v=iJUdcbCoIcA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dal palak

1 cup red lentils
3 cups water/broth
spinach (frozen or fresh)
1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp salt
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
canola oil or ghee
soy sauce
lemon juice

Put the garlic and spices in the pan with the oil and fry them for a minute or two. Then add the lentils, spinach, salt, and water/broth. Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer until lentils are tender. Stir in the tomato paste. Add a dash or so of soy sauce and lemon juice to taste.

This is one of my go-to meals. It's quick, easy, and nutritious.

meat madras
chuck some meat chopped onions chopped ginger chopped garlic chopped tomato and 1 tablespoon of curry powder into a dutch oven, add 1 pint of water and a chicken knorr hotpot and cook for 3 hours at 160º or all day on a crockpot
wala delicious curry
to even make better add some cloves, cardamom, cassia bark and star anise and/or fennel seeds

Butter chicken

Ingredients-

Butter

Chicken

simply ebin

You don't need to add all the different spices and shit to make a good curry. Obviously it won't be quite the same if you cut back on the ingredients but it'll still taste good. Try this:

>chop up onion and cook until softened
>add some minced garlic, grated ginger, and 1 tablespoon garam masala, cook and stir for a few minutes
>add cubed chicken, cook for like 5 minutes
>add 1 can pureed tomatoes and 1/2 cup coconut milk or cream, simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes

If you don't have garam masala, just use coriander powder, cumin, cinnamon, and black pepper (and clove or cardamom if you have it).

i know this is a curry thread but can someone point me to a good biryani recipe?

i love that shit

Japanese curry. Just buy the block of curry roux.

This.

That's effectively the recipe for chana masala, which is some chickpeas in a tomato based curry. Super yummy and simple. I'd just add some turmeric to the equation.

Biryani is a curry you atrocious fuckmuppet

I just buy this shit from my local fred meyer for 2 bucks

It's stupidly easy to make the roux too, here's the one I use:

3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. garam masala
¼ tsp.+ cayenne pepper (optional for spicy)

Taken from:
justonecookbook.com/how_to/how-to-make-curry-roux/

foodess.com/recipes/butter-chicken/
I've done this before and it turned out pretty good. Only uses garam masala, cinnamon, and paprika.

Just stir in some yogurt in condensed tomato soup. Poor over chicken thighs and rice.

How come I never see an authentic curry recipe on Veeky Forums? There should never be an abomination like "curry powder" as an ingredient, yet it's all you see. It's similar to the ubiquitous "chili powder" for Mexican; it has no meaning.

Fry onion
Add 2tbsp curry powder
Add lb chicken until required doneness
Add tin tomatoes
Stir and simmer for a while
Optional, add cream or yogurt towards end of cooking

There you go mang, basic curry.

just made some today. wasnt as good as when i order it out. it was simple tomatoes, onions, garlic, garam masala, paprika, etc. butter chicken curry. i dont know what i did wrong

nvm, this is the recipe. it was ok but something seemed plain about it. its good if youve never made curry before and want to just try it out.

None of the vindaloo recipes I've found online taste like the ones I've had from restaurants :(

The simplest I can think of is HK-style chicken (or, more commonly, fishball/fishtofu) curry. My mother used to make this when she didn't really feel like cooking but still needed to feed us kids. More often than not, she used granulated chicken stock and water in place of the real thing.

Oil, 2tsp
Chicken, cut to bite size, 200g
Ginger, peeled and matchsticked, a thumb nail's size piece
Green capsicum/bell pepper, 1 average sized
Chinese chicken stock, 150ml/half cup
Salt, to taste
Starch, 1-2tsp
Curry powder, 1-2tsp
Onion, 1 small

Heat 1tsp oil and stir-fry chicken until white, then remove from the pan and set aside.
Add ginger and remaining oil and, when fragrant, re-add the chicken.
Stir-fry a minute or so.
Add cut up capsicum and stir fry 30 seconds.
Add stock, retaining some aside for the slurry.
Whisk retained stock with starch and curry powder until smooth, then add to the pan.
Stir to mix through then allow reduce a tad.
Add cut up onion and off the heat.
Keep stirring until bubbling tapers off then serve up with rice and stir-fried greens (with oyster or mushroom sauce, sweet and salty soy sauces or just plain salt).

>There should never be an abomination like "curry powder" as an ingredient, yet it's all you see.
Curry powder isn't an abomination. It needs to be fresh to be awesome, but it's not wrong. It's a time saver. There's nothing prohibitive "bad cook" from stopping someone from finding it easy to throw a couple of Tbsps of curry powder, whether madras or jamaican, or a homemade garam masala blend, it's fine, as long as they mix it up from time to time with more or less this or that.

Yes, it is better to toast some whole spices, grind them, blahblahblah, but if you don't cook it all the time like a real south asian, your little 12 tubs of various stuff in your little spice container isn't fresh either, nor do you want it buy it a pound at a time whole. Go ahead and up your cardamom for your dal, and supplement some insane amounts of fresh ginger in your yogurt chicken, or toast some whole cumin, whatever you want for that mood or what you think it needs to be. The other reason you don't see that many curries on here is that most people find them easy if they care to make them right, which they don't. The mostly buy simmer sauces or pastes, and add either tomatoes or coconut milk (thai).

youtube.com/watch?v=iJUdcbCoIcA
I once tried this. I ended up making the best biryani I've ever eaten

Because most of us can't afford buying fresh herbs and spices and grinding them down all the time ourselves. Dried seasoning, such as curry powder, is economical and a huge time saver and tastes almost as good.