So I recently found out that my mother has been purchasing "essential oils" over the Internet from a company called...

So I recently found out that my mother has been purchasing "essential oils" over the Internet from a company called "Doterra." I did some basic research on this company, and apparently it's run by Mormons, and is a pyramid scheme, or "Multi-level marketing" scam.

She buys them over the Internet, directly from their website, so I went there. How fucking quickly I realized what a scam this is. Tiny fucking 5mL bottles go from $20 to as much as $50 per bottle. She is spending thousands of dollars on this bullshit scam. They are just plant oils, there's nothing "essential" about them, and the "essential" refers to their essence, or scent / aroma, not that they are essential for life or anything like that, incredibly deceptive to dumb soccer moms who buy this crap.

Apparently, they advertise this crap, which is simply concentrated plant oils sold at 5000%+ markups, as being able to cure a wide variety of ailments, and dumb moms get suckered into buying them under false pretenses that they cure disease, like other alternative medicine crap. It's not surprising, considering the only evidence that people that use this crap have to go off of is testimonials from other dupees, rather than actual scientific literature.

How do I go about convincing someone that believes in this garbage to be skeptical, and see it from a scientific perspective? I don't want to be aggressive with her, because I know she will get all defensive since she is a scientific illiterate.

So, Veeky Forums, how do you change the mind of a close-minded "alternative medicine" moron? What is the best way to approach this so that she doesn't burn through my dad's retirement with this garbage?

lazymanandmoney.com/doterra-essential-oils-scam/

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00WFHNBPW/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=marketorder-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00WFHNBPW&linkId=93d95920311cdbb7dd73876d9bcfa6a3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ignorance is bliss

True, and if there wasn't a massive monetary cost to this crap, I wouldn't care and let her have the placebo from them, but I can't stand by and let her support something that is essentially a pyramid scheme with little to no basis in scientific literature.

I'm just afraid that because I often call her out on supporting pseudo-science crap like "healing crystals" for example, that she won't listen to anything I have to say due to her confirmation bias.

We know you're right. the problem is with the way you approach the topic. nobody like to be called a retard. fake interest in her product. listen to her. then introduce cheaper alternative. show her pop sci vids of your new product. I would try vitamins. they are cheap and lots of people shilling for them. also, pirate some book on the topic and make your own essential oils. she might even make some herself if you show her how easy it is. Nobody like wasting money, make her understand that money could be spend elsewhere.
good luck user

Those are techincally essential oils in that the body requires consumption of them. But introduce her to fish oils and vegetable oils, because it's the same thing just not (as) overpriced. And if she eats any fried foods than she gets hella plant oil in her diet

I wouldn't call my own mother a retard, it's just venting my frustrations here that I talk like that. I'm going to just try to approach it by explaining how it's a pyramid scheme, and that she should look for cheaper alternatives like you said. I looked up some on Amazon that are much cheaper than Doterras scam for example.

She doesn't really eat them, she uses them for "aromatherapy" or whatever, she has this little oil diffuser thing, as well as just rubbing them on her hands / feet, etc. Says they help her relax, which is probably just a placebo, but if it does actually help her than I wouldn't care, but they are so goddamn expensive.

I hope you don't blame Mormons for that. I'm Mormon myself. There's stupid people in every religion.

Yes, essential oils are bullshit. Good luck convincing your mother.

There's a lot of scientific research on essential oils, some very important in depression

essential oils are fucking great, some of them are components for synthesizing mdma and they sell them without keeping records of purchase for cheap prices.

Teach her how to extract essential oils by distillation; should be easy
Show her extraction from lemongrass or citrus rind for example

Learn what an essential oil is:

>Essential Oil
>noun
>a natural oil typically obtained by distillation and having the characteristic fragrance of the plant or other source from which it is extracted.

You can make these yourself rather easily, so long as you have a semi-fresh source for the plant.

You could pretend you are interested in using the oils but ask her to find some type of published scientific research on the properties. She probably won't be very successful in her search, and hopefully some doubt will arise in her. Then you can find a wholesale vendor that sells the oils at a reasonable price and markets them for food/industry etc. Show her that and she will see they most likely are not what this site claims.

>There's stupid people in every religion
heh
hehe

Show her this thread...

No dumb retard, they are called essential oils because they contain the essence of the plant, ie. the characteristic scent of the plant.

Just because that company is a scam doesn't mean essential oils by themselves are.

it's a big business full of buzzwords

amazon.com/gp/product/B00WFHNBPW/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=marketorder-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00WFHNBPW&linkId=93d95920311cdbb7dd73876d9bcfa6a3

ayy lmao in highschool I knew the daughter of one of their higher ups

got in early and made like 50 million in asia

I think this is more of a /g/ problem. You need to take control of her router and spoof their website.

Then, you pocket her money and send her bottles of scented olive oil or something.

ayy wait wrong mlm

but same idea

So buy it in bulk and let her have her pleasure. Placebo's have real effects and in many cases are stronger than traditional medication.

What is even creepier is that alot of those things are sold as supplements which are unregulated.

In other words, you could basically put anything in it and not get into too much trouble.

Anyway, you are asking the wrong board. Ask Veeky Forums because they have persuasive skills.

This is a Christian board. You're not a Christian, so please leave.

>dumb retard
>retard
>dumb
Thanks for clarifying their Einstein ;)

Superior men cheating inferior women out of their money? Sounds good to me.

That money is worth twice in their hands than in your mom's. I mean, this is the kind of shit only a woman would believe lol. I think it may be time become an entrepreneur myself. That said I only have pencils and shit I use for math... wait.

Hey girls, I'm selling 'Essential carbon life pieces'. They are thin cylinders of powerful carbon with spirit energy. 50$ a piece. They cure cancer.

Convince her of an alternative pseudoscientific health thing that is superior in every way. Thing is, you both invent and supply it, for cheaper than the things she buys into now.

It's dirty and tricky, but you can get her wasting less money and then only on you.