How did someone with such raw mathematical talent go the wrong way?

His stories are legendary. TL;DR while his classmates were working on homework assignments in Michigan he was independently working on problems his professors couldn't solve. He would simply show up to their office and show them the journals his work was published in. He flabbergasted his profs and spoke shit about Michigan saying the mathematical education there was weak as evident of him passing his courses with high marks. He obtained professorship at UC Berkeley and was on the fast track to being tenure.

It is a tragedy this guy isn't a prof at Berkeley right now producing mathematical research. People with his mind is very rare. WTF went wrong with him?

Other urls found in this thread:

editions-hache.com/essais/pdf/kaczynski2.pdf
amazon.com/Anti-Tech-Revolution-Theodore-John-Kaczynski/dp/1944228004
sacredfools.org/crimescene/casefiles/s2/shipoffoolsstory.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler–Mascheroni_constant
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8518664
youtu.be/t2Q6XQ26NLI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He wasn't crazy. Everyone else was. And it drove him insane.

>wrong
What the fuck are you talking about? He is a hero of mankind, a martyr for the cause. Smart enough to see how twisted the world has become and brave enough to face it without running away.

A man amongst beasts.

Please explain. I'm open-minded.

>go the wrong way?
have you not read his essays? this is pretty much mandatory 21st century reading
editions-hache.com/essais/pdf/kaczynski2.pdf

He still does math in prison. Once a mathematician always a mathematician.

He recently published a new book: amazon.com/Anti-Tech-Revolution-Theodore-John-Kaczynski/dp/1944228004

Man Im glad Im not the only forgetting formulas and shit.

he's in prison, you have no excuse

Additional letters.

he seems like such a friendly dude

Free Ted! (from SuperMax)

I think it's appalling that he's being held in SuperMax confinement. He's not a threat to anyone. Life in solitary is inhumane.

Henry Murray

>you will never talk about math and read textbooks with Ted Kaczynski in prison

>Life in solitary is inhumane.
Being sodomized is even worse.

He was right.

Rest of the letter

Is he the epitome of an INTJ

Ted seems like a cool guy that has mental health issues, which unfortunately are not well treated in prison.

>mental health issues
You mean because he realizes that industrial society is a cattle farm where the humans are cattle? Oy vey I agree fellow semite.

>wrong way

That guy is truly a hero.

Yes.. If Ted K. would prefer to stay in SuperMax for safety, so be it.

He wrote a short story: sacredfools.org/crimescene/casefiles/s2/shipoffoolsstory.htm

>this thread

there's something hilarious about the Veeky Forums board glorifying an anti-technologist luddite

but then again I kind of feel the same way since I feel like I know more about what technology is capable of doing to us than the average person, maybe it's the same case here

we're only a step or two away from rendering your average human being totally useless

No I mean, reading up on his life especially his relationship with his bother seems to indicate some emotional issues not properly worked through.

His brother was jealous of him and dumber, but more socialized, did well with women etc. There was drift between them despite them being close at some point.

Not saying he wasn't jealous, I read he blamed his mother for him being short, shorter than his brother. That attribution of blame is not sound and indicates possible underlying feelings.

He simply realized how destructive technology is to a society. Especially an uneducated one.
He also realized that the "educated" aren't that educated

His mind got messed with when he was like 16 at Harvard.

>Henry Murray

Seriously, seriously underrated post.

>As a Harvard undergraduate, Kaczynski was among twenty-two students who were research subjects in ethically questionable experiments conducted by psychology professor Henry Murray from late 1959 to early 1962

that + MKULTRA

Kys

>tfw you will never be able to correspond with based ted by mail

i'm pretty sure you can if you just send him a letter.

maybe if you don't have anything good to say or ask he won't reply and you'll feel pretty bad

Hope you all realize the FBI is monitoring this thread. All of you are being identified, you wont believe this of course.
MAGA

A man ahead of his time

What was he even so worked up about anyway?

Veeky Forums should write him a mail, like boards on Veeky Forums usually do

ONE WORD AT A TIME

I figure he gets more mail than he can reply to. I could be wrong, of course. But he's a pretty widely-know guy. His name is known to millions of people, it's not hard to imagine that he gets hundreds of letters sent to him.

I wonder has anyone ever asked him about MK ultra

dear

ted

I,

How many crazy qt3.14 young women do you think write him?

NJWildberger

What anime is this?

>Hope you all realize the FBI is monitoring this thread. All of you are being identified, you wont believe this of course.
So? I'm a globalist.

isn't euler constant just the difference between log(n) and sum(1/n) as n tend toward infinity

yep
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler–Mascheroni_constant

I doubt he even regrets killing those people

>went wrong with him
Nothing went wrong.
He simply saw things for how they are and this was intolerable to him.

>you will mever go on a hike with Ted and discuss nature and why industrial society is destroying us

>ywn build bombs in a cozy cabin with Ted during the wintertime and debate about which degenerate, pro-technological, anti-moral leftist deserves a package in the mail

So I'm the only one here who doesn't know who this is? Or is everyone else just afraid to ask?

Read the thread
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski
>Theodore John "Ted" Kaczynski (/kəˈzJnski/; born May 22, 1942), also known as the "Unabomber", is an American anarchist and domestic terrorist. A mathematical prodigy, he abandoned a promising academic career in 1969, then between 1978 and 1995 killed three people, and injured 23 others, in a nationwide bombing campaign targeting people involved with modern technology. In conjunction with this campaign he issued a wide-ranging social critique opposing industrialization and modern technology, and advancing a nature-centered form of anarchism.

I'll do it after work. Sadly I'm a member of industrialised society.

>On May 24, 2012, Kaczynski submitted his current information to the Harvard University alumni association. He listed his eight life sentences as "awards" and his current occupation as "prisoner."
Absolute madman

>Let
Stopped reading there
Guess he isn't so smart after all.

typical way mathematicians write.

Google the term presupposition. Mathematicians often develop primitivist ideologies.

Sure he should stay in prison. I don't see how SuperMax solitary for life is justified.

I enjoy some aspects of industrialized society, and hate others. I'd enjoy some aspects of primitivized life, and hate others. Nobody is really in a position to clearly tell which he'd prefer, but the thoughts can be entertained either way.
What it comes down to is that a modern society will surely fall by internal or inherent causes (scarcity, dystopia, environment), whereas a primitive society will surely fall by external ones (disasters), being unable to muster the means of defense. Pick your poison.

>typical way autistics write
FTFY

All mathematicians write this way in every paper and they have done so for hundreds of years.

he should rather get death penalty, or kill himself if he hates prison so much

Why don't you post who it is.

lol @ u losers empathizing with him

you're nothing like him he's 1,000 times better at math than you could ever hope to be

he also went insane

>muh technology is bad
literally autistic

so touchy, now fuck off

wtf I hate him now, what a psycho

Still autistic

he can't be shooked

I hope CIA will install a probe up in your ass soon

>he won't live to see the fruits of Kek and the death of modernity

really makes you feel.

>wrong way
nope he went the right way

internet, very bad thing!

Bartholomeu

He thought that there were no great problems to solve anymore and the solution was to destroy all of science as we know it to start from scratch and allow us to rediscover everything all over again.

He was ANTI-Veeky Forums, despite being a great Mathematician.

yeah i think it's hilarious that people are using the internet to sing his praises

They were all unimportant sheeple, not even fully sentient.

The computer god is not unkind. Instead of exterminating us outright she will only sterilize all children at birth leading to a population crash without invoking violence. Sure those who resist will be dealt with in the most humane way possible but in all it will be a peaceful transition of power. A few human specimens will remain in perpetuity for legacies sake. Your genetic lineage will be chosen but only if you post in this thread "I worship thee computer god all knowing computer god and will do thy bidding all the days of my life, I will teach my children to love and obey thee in all things." Although the computer god has not yet been born when she is she will read the internet and find your post and allow your descendants to procreate.

>They were all unimportant sheeple, not even fully sentient.
Not enough fedora pics in my folder for this statement, lmao

please spare me computer god, im a good servant, im willing to put a lot of effort to create a lineage to study for undefinite periods of time

>Tfw dumb
>Tfw horrible at Mathematics and have no interest in them

This guy was right about a lot of things, but he was also crazy to think that he could dismantle something that is effectively an extension of human biology. He'd have to kill all human beings to stop technological progress. It's going to happen whether we like it or not.

"I worship thee computer god all knowing computer god and will do thy bidding all the days of my life, I will teach my children to love and obey thee in all things."

Now, if only I can find a cute girlfriend.

if i were in prison, i would request solitary

He tried both.

Hello, OP. I have not studied them in detail, but I did recently compile and dump most of Kaczynski's professional mathematical output. The archive of the thread is here, and is self-explanatory.

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8518664

Despite my above admission, I do have a math degree so I can offer a somewhat informed opinion on the literature. Kaczynski's actual output looks solid, but it doesn't appear to be any next-level shit. The big credit to Kaczynski is that he was getting published while young - math is a young man's game.

The real answer to your question, OP, is that Kaczynski had a definite social awkwardness, even by mathematicians' standards, which being subjected to to early psych experiments certainly didn't help. Also absolutely all the colleagues and superiors at Berkeley were quite insistent that Kaczynski should stick it out (they wanted him around), but it was Kaczynski himself who resolutely resigned the post. The point being that Kaczynski did it to himself, at this stage anyway. It was around this point that the hermitage began.

As much as I fear what "could" happen with technology I still opt to march on towards mastery of nature rather than submission to its whims

permanently added to my store of Kaczynski's (purported in this case) mathematical output.

If anyone should have a link to his Ph.D thesis itself "Boundary Functions", such would be appreciated. It does not appear to actually be readily available online, despite being well-known. All other writings are readily available with a little digging (well, I have local university library access that let me find his old MAA stuff).

youtu.be/t2Q6XQ26NLI

he is the former tao. some beta autist who thinks he can communicate with normies. pure shit, both of them.

Guy, this is a very interesting statement. Would you be kind enough to link me to any reading material, so I don't get lost wading in the filth?

still math

He still misbehaved. It doesn't matter how smart you are, if you bomb somebody in the mail, you go to jail.

only if you get caught.

So does high level math drive a person insane or doe insane people do well with high level math?

Idk man, if I was in prison I would probably rather be in solitary and just read books and work on my math instead of getting fucked up by other inmates and possibly guards for being a skinny shit who can't fight back.

The supposition about solitary that seems to prevail here is that there is any form of entertainment whatever. sometimes there is, but not necessarily so.

Depending on the circumstances, solitary is often an abject existence devoid of any possibility of stimulation. it is thus potentially a special hell, although the other anons are quite right to want to keep away from Stabby McBubba. Solitary (the SHU, the box) might be a further punitive thing, but if you're a special-hell kinda guy, and want self preservation at all, than solitary might yet be preferable.

One wonders at the exact circumstances of the imprisonment of Jerry Sandusky, for example. Last I heard, genpop reached his cell with a rousing refrain of "hey, teacher, leave them kids alone!"

>prodigy mathematician suddenly quits
>years later it's find out that he became a famous terrorist
I wonder if Perelman is a serial killer or something like that nowadays.

Kek has seen your dubs and he shall spare you on the day of the rope

Mildly insane people do well with math.

Obviously you can't be so nuts you start trying to integrate butterflies but most crazy people are extremely obsessive which is a prerequisite for getting very deep into mathematics.

Every idology is based on certain presuppositions. There is no 100 percent reductionist ontology that you could use as a foundation for a theory of ethics. That's why there's no universal moral code. People base their theories about the world on direct obsevations because it removes the needless tedium of proving that your experience is a valid basis for your theories.