Are all biomedical (biochemistry, cell biology, cancer biology, etc.) PhDs just failed MDs?

Are all biomedical (biochemistry, cell biology, cancer biology, etc.) PhDs just failed MDs?

Only those who applied to med school but weren't accepted.

Not at all. I imagine most of them are interested in medicine as a field, but not in practicing it. They may be more motivated towards in depth research in specific scientific fields. Medicine has an emphasis on applying scientific advancements to make people healthier and happier.

Besides, failed MDs and DOs would be much better off pursuing a PA (in the US).

No. There is a joke where surgeons are referred to as glorified butchers.

PhDs make new medical discoveries and MDs apply known medical knowledge.

I mean, not everyone wants to be an MD
My molecular biology teacher used to say how he got into med school but decided he didn't want to write scripts for a living so he went into research

>My molecular biology teacher used to say how he got into med school but decided he didn't want to write scripts for a living

Unironically, what did he mean by this?

He said this a while ago but from what I remember he did his bachelor of science and then honours and got accepted into med school but I think by then he liked the idea of research more than practicing medicine and said he'd rather be the person who could come up with discoveries that would be used rather than be the person to prescribe them in a clinic

Nah, my man
Some of us don't wanna cuck ourselves into 100k+ debt to work long, brutal hours in a customer service job that doesn't offer much intellectual flexibility

I'd argue any researcher worth his salt could easily make it as a doctor, but would hate themselves for doing it

I thought about an MD before I went to graduate school, but the pre-meds I knew in undergrad really turned me off to the idea of med school
If there was an easier way to the prestige of being a doctor they wouldn't go
If their parents weren't forcing them into med school they wouldn't go
If they weren't selfish pricks who were in love with themselves they wouldn't go
>second semester of b-chem at Cal
>walking out of exam
>friend says he bombed the test and is going to have to be a lawyer now instead of an MD

He felt like he had more to contribute to science than prescribing drugs to people?

No. They just want to find a cure for cancer

Doing research is more fun than having to deal with disgusting sick people every day.

I don't know if this is a troll thread, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is serious (this is the way pre-meds actually think).

Biomedical PhDs may have a genuine interest in the underlying biology: in working out biological pathways and systems rather than rote memorization of what has already been beaten to death (so its now in an intro textbook).

Other posts in this thread have mentioned more factors that attract people to PhDs: preferring discovery and being in the lab doing research to being in the clinic and managing disease; not going into med school debt; lifestyle and/or intellectual rigor (or lack thereof) of treating patients.

pre meds can't imagine that some people actually like science

it's not how pre-meds think

No, failed MDs are called general practitioners.

>Some of us don't wanna cuck ourselves into 100k+ debt to work long, brutal hours in a customer service job that doesn't offer much intellectual flexibility

Fuck that's a bleak view of being a doctor

It's something called denial.

Everybody dreams about being that guy who invents the new drug, or discovers some mindbreaking idea.

>I'd argue any researcher worth his salt could easily make it as a doctor

You kinda have to be the cream of the crop to get into med school. An all around alpha, excelling in every field. Much harder than getting into grad school.

You don't have to use your brain though. You just have to have an obsessive A-Type personality.

You are a failed person if you're not a spine only orthopod or a acneguy.

>premeds
>think
>kek