>textbook for lectures never required
>lab manuals required because of protocols
>use older, cheaper editions of lab manuals
>have pdf of older editions too
>last semester, left pdf on desktop of lab computer
>encouraged students to copy it to their flashdrives
>Students, “What’s a flashdrive?”
I guess I should host this for them. My questions to you are:
1. Are you OK with using an electronic version of a lab manual?
2. Do any of your teachers offer pirated textbooks to their students?
3. The pdf is too big for my normal host (google drive) Suggestions for free sites that could host the file that aren’t sketchy would be helpful

This thread can also be a textbook hate general too. I have a longstanding feud with the textbook mafia.

Both of my math instructors this semester handed out .pdf versions of the textbook freely. One of them even got me 2 pdf books for my other class and does this for any of his students.

let the kids who can't figure out how to copy a file to a portable usb drive fail because they're really not that smart anyways?

>What's a flashdrive?

Is this real?

Checked and thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to hear
I get where you are coming from, but my job is to create a fair learning environment for all students, including the retards.
Besides almost all students now keep all files on a computer they do not own.
>you will live to see the end of usb

>almost all students now keep all files on a computer they do not own.

kids these days... god forbid google ever decides to shut off their cloud access. What ever happened to the good old days when all the smart kids were using encrypted external hard drives for their "file storage"?

This summer I made the students give presentations
Out of 50 students, less than 5 had flash drives
The rest had to find their presentations in the cloud, subjecting us to their selfies
One student tried to use the desktop keyboard to enter their password and didn't know how to make a capital letter on a computer keyboard.
Another student tried to use the lab phone and didn't know what a dial tone or a busy signal were

>This summer I made the students give presentationsOut of 50 students, less than 5 had flash drivesThe rest had to find their presentations in the cloud, subjecting us to their selfiesOne student tried to use the desktop keyboard to enter their password and didn't know how to make a capital letter on a computer keyboard. Another student tried to use the lab phone and didn't know what a dial tone or a busy signal were

damn man... that is... depressing.

> 1. Are you OK with using an electronic version of a lab manual?

So-so. I like electronic versions of text books, but, for lab, I think paper would be more convenient.

> 2. Do any of your teachers offer pirated textbooks to their students?

I never had one. I had one that encouraged us to look elsewhere and buy a cheaper version.

> 3. The pdf is too big for my normal host (google drive) Suggestions for free sites that could host the file that aren’t sketchy would be helpful

Github, Dropbox, Mega, GDrive

>So-so. I like electronic versions of text books, but, for lab, I think paper would be more convenient
This is how I feel too. I feel like I the class is losing something by having an electronic lab manual
However, the fact that a pdf is searchable is a boon to students who do not know how to use a table of contents or an index
A lot of my job is teaching students how to find things

I don't think professor should help students to pirate. If they want to steal then do but he shouldn't help them. It's not his problem.

>1. Are you OK with using an electronic version of a lab manual?

Totally. Less time to find stuff, less weight to carry around, printing chunks of it may still be an option if it's too big.

>2. Do any of your teachers offer pirated textbooks to their students?

Most of them encourage looking for it in the interwebs, some actually offer the pdf's.

>3. The pdf is too big for my normal host (google drive) Suggestions for free sites that could host the file that aren’t sketchy would be helpful

Mega is a good option, you could also just hand a couple students a copy and trust the students will redistribute it.

Made it through a 5 year engineering course and bought only one book, and I regret buying it.

1. We didnt use lab manuals. Thats for pussies, we had to figure out stuff all by ourselves.
2. Yes. When I became a teacher I did it myself.
3. I share stuff via dropbox. You could also split pdfs.

the "you gotta go to college to get a job" meme resulted in a bunch of retards flooding colleges.

True. The flipside is employers asking for more degrees than it actually takes, and by the magic of positive feedback grade inflation is created.

op here
Thanks for all the replies
Went with Mega and already have it hosted

>grade inflation
and how (pic)

I meant to say "degree inflation". Did not know about grade inflation, but thinking about it, it seems reasonable.

I suppose you are in a country where people don't care about piracy.

>1. Are you OK with using an electronic version of a lab manual?

Depends, but generally yes.

>2. Do any of your teachers offer pirated textbooks to their students?

Usually not whole textbooks, but it's common to have some chapters taken from various textbooks.

>3. The pdf is too big for my normal host (google drive) Suggestions for free sites that could host the file that aren’t sketchy would be helpful

Mediafire.

>I suppose you are in a country where people don't care about piracy.
I am
But is the textbook mafia going to find out and give me a pair of cement shoes for giving an older version of a textbook to students?
My real concern is a disgruntled student trying to get me into trouble and turning me in

One of our best defenses against the mafia is telling students about libgen.

Have you seen this thing where a teacher does some minor edits to a textbook and then makes it as the couse's oficial book.

what university do you teach at?
This is pathetic

Do you know how to use a fax machine? a beeper? a rotary phone?
Tech changes, and if you don't use it, you lose it

flash drives aren't that old, if you mean USB sticks and not floppy discs. They're still selling in an Office Max near me.

Engimemering here. Got thru community college and half-way thru university only with .pdf. Only trouble was the Mastering Chemistry for every chemistry that I had to pay.

>Do you know how to use a fax machine? a beeper? a rotary phone?
yes? none of these are difficult to use, and a thumb drive is literally the cheapest and most convenient way to store and share your data. how the fuck will you download it from the "cloud" if the service is down or you don't have access to internet?

I'm 20 and can use all 3. Perks of working at a hospital in the middle of BFE

>thru

well it's not your problem that it's not his problem

this can't be real

someone has to gib shekels to gods chosen people goy.

uppit is pretty great and they don't take down shit constantly like mega or dropbox do

>usb gonna die
>flash gonna die
you didn't say how big pdf is. there are tons of free file hosts, if one goes down you just re up it.

I work for my prof. as assistant and manage all of his literature etc. Me and others have to do jabref entries for all of it etc. He has like 600 gb of books and articles in pdf. Some cost a lot of money yet he always has them for free somehow.

I asked if I can have some of it and he told me to copy as much as I want. Long story short I have about 300 books in pdf now. Feelsgoodman