ITT post stories of how you got into science at a young age

ITT post stories of how you got into science at a young age

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Smale
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>me, Dominican immigrant at age 5
>immediately enrolled in kindergarten with no knowledge of English
>Bullied for basically being considered a retard for not being able to speak English
>Only solace was found in making and flying RC Airplanes and helicopters with dad
>Dad started talking to me about how planes were able to "defy gravity"
>Eventually learned how to read, first book was about astronomy
Stupid, cheesy story. But ever since then I haven't been able to stop loving science.

I love animals and my parents bought me these collections of animal photo card things that had a bunch of info on each like taxonomy and geographical information on them. I would spend so much time organizing them in a bunch of different ways and noticing similarities and differences between different species. Did this at a very young age and I'm pretty sure it caused my disillusion with the idea of human exceptionalism I see running so rampant everywhere.

Don't make a thread for faggy shit
Look at the two replies to this thread
Two total fags

Wow, you don't have to be such asshole.

I liked working with computers and my parents recognized that but never did anything to help me. I then got an interest in electronics and such, and my parents bought me one kit with no instructions or anything. I ended up breaking it and since my parents never really bothered to help me learn more about anything, I started playing video games. It kinda all went downhill from there. I still don't know why they never helped me, especially since my dad was an EE major.

>be young user, playing pokemon
>want to figure out type advantages
>systematically test every type of attack against every type of pokemon
>always catch a pokemon to confirm what type it is, even when it's obvious
>only test attacks against pokemon that are purely one type
>feel like a scientist
Was it autism?

> Me at age 9.
> Twin sister gets put in special school for gifted children and I don't.
> Spend the next few years super pissed off at this and desperately trying to find some way to prove I'm just as smart as her.
> Realize I'm actually pretty gifted when it comes to electronics and programming.
> Pour all my anger and frustration into pushing myself further and further.
> Win a number of national level competitions; picture on the front page of the local paper; full scholarship to my dream school.

Good, good.

My grandfather was a pretty well-known scientist. Everyone in my family idolized him, and I grew up hearing stories about him very frequently.

Because my parents idolized my grandfather they got me involved in a lot of fun science-y things for kids for most of my childhood.

Everything is the result of that. And maybe a tinge of autism.

I'm a dumbass idk why I even come here.

I went through a lot of phases when I was younger. I was always in awe of math and science, and I always knew I wanted to do research. For example, every time i'm presented with a problem I become obsessed with experimenting with possible solutions. From videogames to actual problems, that rush of experimentation is enough to drive sleep away. It becomes an almost unhealthy obsession, putting me in a trance where all that I think about is the problem and its potential solutions.

But if you were to ask me why i'm obsessed with the hard sciences now as an adult? I don't believe in death. I don't want to die, and I'm scared of dying early. I'm dedicating my life to studying immortality through biological regenerative means. I've also expressed interest in artificial intelligence and immortality via digitization and maybe even robotics though. I want to be curious forever no matter what it takes.

Ah, wished I wasn't a dumb fucktard and had interest in science at young age like you, Veeky Forums.

;_;

Be bitesizednigger. ASian As fuck math teach in 6th grade.
>Fuckin Star Life Chart
>Math finally made sense
>Sold.

Pokemon started my career too. Arguably all of my career choices in life were initialized by playing Pokemon.

>Understanding this phenomenon from exp.
Shit. Same wavelength.

one time i googled anarchy's cookbook

and well

the rest is history i guess

hehehahahahahHAHAHAHAH

>Father is a Physicist/Engineer
>Have tonnes of Maths/Physics/Computer Science/Chemistry/Electrical Engineer PhDs and reseachers in family
>All of that has nothing to do with what got me into Science

Just followed my gut and loved to learn, knew what I enjoyed and what really spoke to me so I pursued it.

I read a brief history of time back in 9th grade because a physics major showed me it. This didn't get me interested in physics though. What actually got me interested was in 11th grade, when I first came across integrals I was amazed since I didn't expect such a powerful tool to exist. I set out to learn calculus and from there I came across applications in physics. I also got interested in pure math from Axler's linear algebra book. It showed me how powerful proofs could be in getting complex results from simple axioms.

I thought you would sneak into her school wearing her clothes. Shame

Anyway, my dad is an Electrical Engineer and worked in tech companies since the large 80s. He always took me to the plans and showed me everything in them. Also I was always super curious and a tinkerer.
Ironically when I entered as an engineering major in uni I hated it. Ended up as a chemist and even had an internship in the same tech company my dad works in now.

Dinosaur! books.

Also I was super into facts.
I don't even understand why.
Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation

I always had an unstoppable force that made crave cock. That's why I chose engineering

c-can i still be good with numbers if i was never any sort of child prodigy?

Went to a catholic school K-6. Late grade 2 / early grade 3 I realized that my prayers were totally unanswered and there was no sign of any sort of god anywhere in life. Started thinking about where did we come from and got books abou the universe at the book store. After I found out about wikipedia around 6th grade I would stay up until 2 in the morning reading wikipedia articles about cosmology and physics, every time I would come across a word I didnt understand I would read the article on that until I had a decent laymans understanding. I cant understand the source material for much of this still as I have had no higher education. Im about a decade behind on my math knowledge so studying to be a physisict is a bit of a stretch, but I think I can make my contribution in AGI.

Yeah, right, let's have more uni threads, or wildberger threads, or homework threads, or "here's my dumb as fuck idea for an invention" threads, or /pol/ threads, or sophistry threads about the universe.
God forbid someone actually thinks of an original idea on this board

>Wanted to be a chef
>Read a children's picture book that said scientists were like chefs (showed a chemist mixing generic chemicals)
>Constantly encouraged to go into science since I was relatively good at it
>Go through pretentious teenage years
>Decide to go into math

Wish I had become a chef

>Wish I had become a chef

I wish I went into graphic design. I found freelancers making $100+/hr in San Francisco.

I thought it wouldn't pay off, so I didn't go into the field. But if it's fun and pays, then I would rather have done that than cs.

My brother did graphic design.
He makes minimum wage at Wendy's

russian fag?

Oh. Okay. Maybe that was a good call then.

My dad had a stroke when I was a wee bab and my mom worked a lot so I ended up being home alone a lot and my mom ended up buying me all these kits for magnets and circuitry and since then I've had this love towards electricity and physics.

That's cool man, appreciated story

>14 years old
>want to go into military
>parents ask why
>so I can kill people and not go into jail
>parents sign me up into a 3 year school for electrician
>while in school gradually develop interest in science and enroll into college after it

I still want to be in the military and murder people though. I get tingles every time I see war footage. I'm probably too old to enlist now though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Smale

Read the education and career stuff.

nice, what do you do now?

i thouhgt there was gonna be some revenge rape involved there

you are as much of a dissapointment to me as you are to your parents

I am not remember, but i think I read tons of books about History,,biology,etc

Oh no you're right let's have an attention whore thread instead
Much better

I didn't have friends so I spent my free time looking at Wikipedia articles. I became fascinated with black holes and knew how they worked by the time I was 9

>age 5
>watched Titan AE
>Holy fuck this movie is dope
>Science-fiction is now my thing

>age 5-12
>Integrist catholic school
>Harcore level compared to public school
>"Science and math is for men"
>I'm a man, i already love science, therefore i love math too

>age 13
>kind of figured out basic probabilities properties in order to optimize my WarHammer40k army list

>age 13+
>state school
>sci & math level back to mediocre
>mother told me about chemistry
>win a free 2 years advance in chemistry upon normies
>father gifted me a subscription to a young people's science magazine
>Shit became serious

I've been an hollywood caricature of the nerd/geek.
I regret nothing.

>I thought you would sneak into her school wearing her clothes. Shame
That would be a good anime. FUND IT.

/g/ will help if the trap is cute

I didn't get into science at a young age.
I hated maths, but I enjoyed philosophy and history and programming and music. I hated music theory so I never wanted to study music, and since I could learn to program without any qualifications I chose not to study that either.
I then received some horrible career advice and figured I should study all the subjects at A-Level (pre-university) that I never got to study at GCSE (pre-pre-university), and studied social sciences, law and drama.
Then, I was planning to do philosophy or history or sociology or law at university when I ended up talking to someone about the difficulty of different subjects, and they were telling me how much harder the sciences were. I kinda enjoyed science at GCSE so I figured I would do more A-Leves and study biology, chemistry and physics just to prove them wrong. Now I'm a PhD, $300k starting.

This guy is a total dick but I agree.

For me though, they 1st day of high school chem, I was reading the intro chapter where they tell you about chem and careers and shit, and for some reason after reading the word "organic chemist," it seemed as if I was hit by a brick wall, i immediately stopped and thought "this is what I want to do the reat of my life" without even knowing wtf it was. Been working my way towards it ever since

>be 12 brothers watching documentary on string theory, I watch and enjoy it, talk to my mathematics teacher about it he's amazed I even understood it
Become obsessed with dimensions, string theory and time, spend all my educational time reading about that shit or coding runescape private servers, basically waste away my time not realising how useless school would be when I'm older I always thought the challenge would come but it never did Australian schools are basically places to sit kids in so the state can keep an eye on where they are and make sure they're not becoming a delinquent.

Basically fail highschool because I realise for me to ever become a physicist I'd need to have learned advanced maths from a much younger age so I don't care.

Was so fixated on becoming a theoretical physicist that I couldn't make a decision on what to do with my life, looked up the jobs I felt I could breeze through decided to study economics cuz mad money in it... I think I made the right decision in the end

Cause if u know science ur str8 ballin, g

Coolest mofo on the block

You're probably smarter than you think user-kun

>went to the library when I was three
>all fiction books sounded stupid to me
>read non-fiction: Mainly Biology and Astronomy because of the cool pictures
And that's pretty much it ţbh

Ouch
Just cut myself on that edge

I used to love discovery channel.

>read a lot of biology/anatomy books my mom had from nursing school up until i was 12 or so
>watched a lot of science docs back when discovery channel was sciency, not just "blow shit up lmao"
then i found pic related, pretty god tier book for an introduction into quantum physics

now im going for a post-secondary education degree, wondering whether to get a Ba in History or a BSc in physics, because i really do love both fields

Guys, here. Can we form some super autistic Pokemon career club? It just seems like the right thing to do.

I got a boner everytime my teacher solves an algebra problem.