Peculiar experience

I am a scientifically driven individual and do not believe in new age crap. However, I was visiting my mother who believes in new age phenomena and wanted me to try a new form of meditation. I was being open minded at the time and agreed to participate. I was purposely breathing rapidly and after about twenty minutes of the activity, my body felt strange and my face felt like it was pulsating.

I am typically against this new age crap, but I am baffled as to why I felt the way I did after.

Placbo effect? Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation
amazon.com/Shocking-Pen-Classic-Shock-Gift/dp/B00069IR7S
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocapnia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_hypoxia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_alkalosis
fear-of-lightning.wonderhowto.com/how-to/master-power-shock-people-with-your-fingertips-0133360/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>what is hyperventilation

meditation is not 'new age crap' you fucking moron

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation

'new age crap' is shit like qi energy

You hyperventilated, it is a well-known phenomenon. You literally got high on a lack of oxygen.

While almost all new age stuff is bull, meditation is one of the few things that is scientifically proven to have physical benefits.

>Meditation
>New
Fucking retard

WOW! Hyperventilating makes you feel funny! :O

>scientifically proven to have physical benefits.

assuming you dont continue deprive your brain of oxygen and cause anymore brain damage.

Most meditation doesn't involve hyperventilation, dumbass.

My shoulders were actually extremely stiff and I was breathing with my diaphragm, not my ribcage.

lmfao i was saying that meditation will have benefits for OP if OP does it without hyperventilating in the future. i was commenting to OP as an addition and tagged my own post, i guess i can see how that was confusing

OHHHHH that changes everything senpai!

>My shoulders were actually extremely stiff and I was breathing with my diaphragm, not my ribcage.

You hyperventilated. Where you breath from has nothing to do with hyperventilation. Regardless of the mechanism ventilating carbon dioxide faster than your body can produce carbon dioxide will have those effects you spoke of.

Why are you having a hard time accepting this?

Because its completely different, idiot.

Okay so you're trolling?

I really dont get what you're on about otherwise. Regardless if you breath from your diaphragm or chest air is going into your lungs and back out again. Regardless how you move air in and out, it that rate is too high you will hyperventilate.

>Because its completely different, idiot.
in terms of hyperventilation they arent. it is straightforward physiology. if you refuse to accept basic physiology then so be it..

Yes you are supposed to breath from your diaphragm when you meditate,(hell you should always do it), but the breaths should also be slower and deeper than you would take from the chest.

No, my chest and diaphragm are different. THAT's basic physiology. If you breathe with different organs, then you breathe differently. What's so hard to understand here? I wasn't just hyperventilating.
I pulled something in my leg before and it felt better after I meditated. Would hyperventilation do that?

>ki is new age crap

There was this old chinese lady who worked with accupunture who was aquaintace of my mother when I was a kid. Every time someone said it wasn't real and it was just a superstition, she touch the person and give them a shock. I'm not saying it wasn't a cheap trick nor anything, it's just that I don't know about any physics course that teachs how to shock people on demand.

I don't know of any acupuncture course that does either

Just because your too dumb too understand it; doesn't mean it's magic.

>beeing this retarded
I hope you don't believe that user, I really do.

> Would hyperventilation do that?
Possibly. Like how if you break your leg, and then break your neck, your leg doesn't hurt anymore.

Also you breath with your lungs. its one organ.

Yeah but the meditation didn't HURT me, duh. It's totally different.

Oh okay, pedantic dick.

> then you breathe differently.

Already talked about this that how you breath in terms of method has absolutely no impact on whether or not you hyperventilate, but rather how quickly you do so with any method.

If you're truly struggling with this concept or refuse to research itself then you might as well believe in everything new age has to offer since you're already so apt at ignoring science.

amazon.com/Shocking-Pen-Classic-Shock-Gift/dp/B00069IR7S

How do you know it didn't hurt you? Having too much or not enough of something some molecule/air) can change how your nerves fire, maybe you just couldn't feel it anymore. Or maybe since you did it for 20 minutes it healed simply because 20 minutes had passed.

>Yeah but the meditation didn't HURT me, duh. It's totally different.

You're right, the oxygen deprivation from your shallow quick breathing did, which is not a required and actually discouraged when you meditate.

>You literally got high on a lack of oxygen.
That is not how hyperventilation works, please kys.

>oxygen deprivation
Refer to

Lets have a lesson:

Hyperventilation
>This causes the concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood stream to fall and produces a state known as hypocapnia.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperventilation

> Hypocapnia causes cerebral vasoconstriction, leading to cerebral hypoxia and this can cause transient dizziness, visual disturbances, and anxiety.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocapnia

>Cerebral hypoxia is a form of hypoxia (reduced supply of oxygen)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_hypoxia

While technically the tingling comes from CO2 reduction, there still are harmful and euphoric effects caused by hypoxia. Why is this so hard to grasp?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_alkalosis

You win this round, user.
:^(

I'm dunno guys, I'm pretty sure she did it barehanded. Even if it was a pen it would de a darn good trick for nobody to notice.

I genuinely dont think she went to these lengths, but hilarious that this exists nonetheless..

fear-of-lightning.wonderhowto.com/how-to/master-power-shock-people-with-your-fingertips-0133360/

Trump is right, the chinese really are a menace.

she probably wears slippers and walks on a rug, and it was static electricity build up

Ww-wow wh what what a bu b-bad thread.

I asked Jesus to come into my life in a moment when I was believing and the next day a god man took me in his home gave me drink food mandrakes and a holy Bible and I just saw a god proof thread thats only disputable by arguing the axiom that we exist. Am I le Reddit or what? Also how do I exit the highway to hell Lord Jesus please answer me and help me do it.i will obey you.

Recognizing your sin is a good first step, but doesn't change anything, you'll still be barreling down the "highway to hell" lol.

Humbled Repentance is what you want - as clique as that may sound to you. Pridefulness vs Humbled. It is one of the first principles of the gospels [mathew, mark, luke, john] and is essential to our earthly and eternal happiness.

It is much more than just acknowledging wrongdoings. It is a change of mind and heart that gives us a fresh view about God, about ourselves, and about the world. You would ponder this while in prayer - which you'll have to figure out for yourself by first actually trying it.

You'll still be a "sinner", but humbled repentance helps you to turn away from sin and turn to God for forgiveness. It is motivated by love rather than motivated by your own prideful nature which leads to sin and the really shitty feeling you may know well.

Chi/ki is a very useful visualization trick. It's not "real" except in the sense that it's helpful to imagine that you're sending "energy" to different parts of your body to do stuff like lifting or yoga or martial arts.

Thank you angel.