Why the E in STEM?

Engineering is no science.

Why is engineering often considered to be/lumped together with proper science fields?

Engineering is obviously not about understanding nature/the world around us. We just build stuff and hope it holds up. If anything. we just do some hand-wavy "proof" or calculations.
There is usually no scientific regiour involved.

Most engineering work is more of "creative contemplation" not unlike design or arts. (Analytical) Philosophy is obviously more "scientific" than engineering.

tl;dr: Why is Engineering considered science? Just using math doesn't make it sicence.

(Yes, I'm an Engineer)

they kinda make experimental tools for real scientists

Correct.

Engineering is useful.

Engineering is applied science.

>(Yes, I'm an Engineer)
Seems you have just enough brain power to drive trains.

because one of the key aspects of the scientific method is experimentation. engineers are the kings of throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

> is useful.

the STEM acronym is a bit of a freudian slip if you ask me

you're right in that these are somewhat disparate fields

> STEM
> S for Science
> E for Engineering
> Engineering is no science.

Uh... Okay...

>STEM
Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics

Technology isn't science.
Math isn't science.
No shit engineering isn't science.

They're all related and rely on each other, STEM isn't one subject.

Wow dude, you really did you research and proved your point.

>We just build stuff and hope it holds up. If anything. we just do some hand-wavy "proof" or calculations.
Holy fucking shit.... are you for real? You can't be this deluded. You must be a shitty engineer. Nothing stops you from pursuing a theoretical approach as an engineer.

Not everything can be proved with a rigorous approach. Math uses proofs. Physics and engineering can't. You can't prove why the universe works this way. You can only describe (part of) it then make a guess about whether your description holds up universally or not.

Also Mathematics is not the only science. In fact math is not part of natural sciences, because it's not concerned with universe, it's concerned with human knowledge, abstractions and with the universal truths they provide.

Yes, you're correct that engineering is not strictly science, but physical systems/formulas derived by engineers (indirectly) describe the universe because they have to build actual working systems. Making approximations is also about describing the universe when certain constraints are true.
I would call it half-science, because it's not always concerned with that. Lot of engineering shit has nothing to do with it.

They also make descriptions of extremely complex physical systems and their design are produced usually by engineers. In this way engineering research can easily produce valid scientific results for example in physics. Understanding of physical phenomena was/is often enhanced by the work engineers do. Some engineers also contributed heavily to physics by being forced to invent the necessary physics to do something.

Engineering is extremely broad, but it's foundations lie in the natural sciences and mathematics.

Many good engineers have second degrees or PhDs in either applied math (control theory, dynamical systems, etc.) or applied physics (solid state physics, condensed matter, etc.).

Engineering materializes science.

STEM is just short hand for 'shit at uni that makes money at a glance'.

Engineering shouldn't even be taught at university, it belongs in technical college. It's only taught at uni to create prestige so they can bump the price up and demand higher wages.

>Engineering shouldn't even be taught at university, it belongs in technical college. It's only taught at uni to create prestige so they can bump the price up and demand higher wages.
>t. First year pure math student

>Why is Engineering considered science?

Because good luck building pic related without engineers

>Engineering is no science
That's why it has its own group outside of Science, Technology and Mathematics.

I could build that shit blindfold in my third year of undergrad
>t. pure math major

Yeahhh, no.

In its true roots, it is just as empirical as "science".

Sure we can model a PV cell to anticipate how many cells we'll need. But at the end of the day, you have to just fucking try it.

We inherently don't know anything about the world around us, so we use the scientific method of observing, hypothesizing, devising a way to test our hypothesis, looking at the data and trying to decide whether our model was good or not.

This is what engineers do on a daily basis. I use math and statistics to prove the reality of what is happening every. single. day. It might seem trivial when its fluid flowing in a pipe, or free radical pH deposition in a reactor, but what I am doing on a literal daily basis is observing, making a hypothesis, testing, and then trying to draw conclusions based on the data.

It is literally fundamental science, on a practical application scale.

There are jobs that engineers can have that aren't very "sciency", but if you're schooled in true engineering fashion, then your an applied scientist. by nature, even if you don't exercise that on a regular basis.

If anything, the T should be dropped. IT, Technology Studies, etc. are a far cry from science, engineering and math.

T is arguably covered by E. But SEM isn't as catchy as STEM.

Pretty much.

It's there because it's important, just like art. Steam degrees are super important.

>But at the end of the day, you have to just fucking try it.

That's why the real scientist experiments.

Science
Technology
Engineering
Math

They are four separate things you fucking retarded faggot engineer kill yourself

Yep.

Also why science is a fixed inclusion into engineering.

OP, See and

seriously, top kek

>STEM
>engineering is no science
>why is engineering considered science
Are you retarded? Non of the other letters besides S are supposed to stand for science.

STEM encompasses the economically useful technical subjects. Science itself is just a part of it. If we wanted to address the sciences then we would call it 'science' not 'STEM'.

I can't even wrap my head around how retarded this question is.

This

You are kid of right. In the past, engineering used to be taught only at technical institutes. Such as MIT, Georgia Tech, etc.
But that's it. The rest of your speech is just wrong. Engineering is prestigious by itself, That's why technical institutes turned into universities, not the other way around.

Btw, you are just a freshman so your ignorance is understandable. But let me just say this. It was engineers who probably designed your equipment, and it was the engineers at Bell Labs the ones that allow the internet to exist.

You do realize that I quoted someone, right?
More specifically