What do you think of these new spacesuits, Veeky Forums?

What do you think of these new spacesuits, Veeky Forums?

twitter.com/NASA/status/824345950382673924

*unzips chick*

>tfw you don't have a zipper thats able to hold a pressure in space
I want the dank gloves

Helmet looks great, suit looks okay.

>Shoes Akin to Cross Trainers
wat

gotta have good arch support bro, theres no gravity to provide it
also why no dank HUD

is this Veeky Forums?

I like orange better. I wonder how well it does in the event of water egress.

It's probably more comfortable than the unpressurized paratrooper boots the shuttle suits used.

Also helps with running the fuck away from any dangerous situations on the ground

its just for launch and reentry. They wont go EVA in these

>Zippers
The found a better solution years ago

What solution?

It's clunky.

In the demo, I remember in particular that when the wearer clambered into the vehicle, the faceplate needed a separate cover to avoid scratches. That tells you two things: it's easily scratched (bad in a cramped vehicle), and they didn't incorporate a cover into the design.

The separate headset is also a problem. What if you need to put it on in a hurry? I didn't see anything for dealing with vomit, either.

I expect the SpaceX design will show more thought and effort.

velcro

Do the shuttle suits or the Soyuz suits have puke removal systems?

How's that better? I've used velcro before, it wears out eventually, loses traction.

>spacesuit

Those are shipsuits, not spacesuits.

>its just for launch and reentry. They wont go EVA in these
What's the point of that? If something goes wrong during launch or reentry, what's the space suit going to do for you? Make you glow a slightly different color as you vaporize?
I thought the sole purpose of a space suit was for space walks and moon walks.

>that bigzipperpropaganda
The grip factor of velcro is estimated to last over 800 years without degradation. It's just being phased out because it's reptilian technology and we're currently in a cold war with them.
#humansfirst

3 Russians coming home from a salyut mission suffocated as their soyuz capsule undocked from the space station. The ground recovery team opened the hatch to find all 3 cosmonauts suffocated. That event highlighted the importance of wearing pressurised suits to offer protection from depressurisation, smoke and other potential hazards.

thia image looks like it was specifically made to trigger people. That suits it fucking ugly.

You can make an airtight zipper. Not so with velcro and it's also difficult to tell if it's sealed correctly, with a zipper it's easy. You will see chemical suits with zippers.

Wearing suits in the spacecraft would have saved the crew of Souyz 11. Every problem doesn't result in catastrophic failure.

An integrated headset would mean the wearer couldn't move their head in the helmet.

> That tells you two things
That they wanted to be careful with a prototype?

Oh, well shit. I guess that makes sense, then.

>An integrated headset would mean the wearer couldn't move their head in the helmet.
No, it would just mean the microphone and speakers aren't in a fixed location relative to the ears and mouth.

>That they wanted to be careful with a prototype?
No, they were serious that it would easily be scratched. The helmet is polycarbonate. Just plastic, not a hard-to-scratch glass sandwich like a windshield is. It's a good, tough plastic, unlikely to break and split, but it's still soft, easy to scratch or cut, and quickly melts at low temperatures as well. Plus it becomes brittle over time with radiation exposure. It also lacks any glare protection. It's quite minimal and could easily be taken out by the same problem that causes the loss of cabin pressure.

>Wearing suits in the spacecraft would have saved the crew of Souyz 11. Every problem doesn't result in catastrophic failure.
One of these times, someone's going to suffocate, drown, or fumble the controls because they're in a suit "just in case". Just like launch escape rockets have been a wash. Saved one crew in one incident, blew up the rocket and killed some ground crew in another. Flight suits haven't killed anyone yet, but there was a close call once (one of the Mercury astronauts who ended up in the sea, and barely kept his head above water because of the suit) and they haven't saved anyone either.

>Do the shuttle suits or the Soyuz suits have puke removal systems?
Not that I know of, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one from SpaceX. In every aspect of this, Boeing seems to be doing the minimum required by the contract.

They're thinking in terms of a few flights per year with selected, trained astronauts. You can just assume no one will vomit in their helmet and treat it as a rare emergency.

On the other hand, if you fly a hundred people into orbit every week (possible with ITS), people are going to vomit in their helmets frequently, and it can't be horrible or life-threatening.

I was more throw aback by the iphone compatible gloves.

>people are going to vomit in their helmets frequently, and it can't be horrible or life-threatening

Some Italian astronaut nearly drowned doing a space walk because water leaked into his helmet and it clung to his face.

>Still no skintight suits
meh

That one's designed for walking on Mars/EVA in general, though. That's a differently project entirely.
The suit in OP is just a bulky piece of shit they put on during take-off and then remove 3 minutes later once they're in orbit.

A skintight suit like that one could do both.
All it has to do is apply enough pressure to the human body and provide a breathable atmosphere.
Not protect from radiation you get when doing EVA on the ISS.

>STALKER SEVA suit