Serious question, guys. Would this Y-32 Xi'an (from the game Arma 3 Apex) work in real life? I mean...

Serious question, guys. Would this Y-32 Xi'an (from the game Arma 3 Apex) work in real life? I mean, it's a bit complicated for a VTOL/Plane with such a wingspan.

youtube.com/watch?v=rnnW8KF5C8o

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_LiftSystem
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

maybe, but it is designed to look cool not be optimal

So how would you improve it to make it optimal?

emdrive

Oh boy...

Wouldn't those fans really fuck up the lift?

nah.

Those fans look small and wimpy.
After changing vertical flight to horizontal they become useless, but can't be turned off - that would be like having two big holes in wings.
9/11 would not bang.

Chinese technology. Year 2035.

Do my eyes deceive me or is it just an Mi-24 with fan-wings rather than the rotor and jet engines jammed into the tail?

Good eye. It seems to be at least half inspired in a Mi-24. And it looks pretty similar to the Quinjet from "The Avengers".

Arma is for spazzes. So much depth of interface for such frustratingly shallow gameplay. Those amazing graphics just provide a distraction for enemies that are 99% of the time invisible.
The horsepower required to run those fans would make your asshole clench and the wings would probably rip off. The current VTOL the Marines have is a better design.

While I'm hesitant to believe that this particular design would work, a similar configuration has been done before with the Ryan XV-5 Vertifan. It didn't work out very well.

>The current VTOL the Marines have is a better design
You mean the Osprey? That's huge, user.

those flimsy vertical fans are in no way capable to generate enough airflow for vtol capability.

Copare their total area with the area covered by a regular helicopter rotor blade disk area. It is just too small unless these things rotate at ridiculous speeds.

Exactly the point. The Osprey is a huge vehicle with free rotors each of which is hige even when compared to the Osprey itself. And is still not much more efficient than a helicopter

Seems that the rear turbines help to sustain the vehicle in the air.

>those flimsy vertical fans are in no way capable to generate enough airflow for vtol capability.
>Copare their total area with the area covered by a regular helicopter rotor blade disk area. It is just too small

>unless these things rotate at ridiculous speeds.

I assume it was inspired by the F-35 VTOL system: a jet engine generates shaft power to turn a fan.

If you redesign it into something that actually works it will turn into a Harrier which does worl although worse than any conventional plane

You know that's not just a fan on the F35, right? I mean, there's more fan under that top fan.

Like way more fan.

A wing with a hole in it doesnt work like one hell of a wing either way.

The Fans might actually be big enough. Main issues I see are the lack of covers for the fans in horizontal flight (so the wings can actually work) and a lack of a forward lift fan meaning it will likely nose dive the second it ties to hover. Wing area also seems a big small for forward flight.

I was going to say it would actually turn into the XV-5, except for the part where the XV-5 was shit and the harrier isn't.

Hostile Takeover KOTH single handedly redeems arma 3

it's basically a hybrid VTOL version of the kajman which is basically a fictional version of the KA-50 or KA-52 so make it one of those

>Arma is for spazzes.
B-but I am one of them!

It's two counter-rotating ducted fans of that diameter, being turned by a shaft from the jet engine. This provides about half of the thrust for hovering, with most of the rest coming from the main jet exhaust (there's also a takeoff from the jet's intake fan that feeds two thrusters off to the sides for about 10% of thrust).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_LiftSystem

The Y-32 has considerably more fan area, and two jet engines to power them. I don't consider that aspect of its design implausible.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_LiftSystem
That shit throws me scary gazes.

test