Why exactly do people use oil or butter when cooking a fat-based food item?

Why exactly do people use oil or butter when cooking a fat-based food item?

For example, cooking steak in oil or cooking eggs in oil. It makes no sense.

It's to help distribute heat and prevent sticking.

Try cooking eggs without oil or butter and tell us how well that went for you.

>Why do people want flavor in their food?
Also it helps with lubrication so shit doesn't stick to the pan.

You've never actually cooked eggs or actually cooked anything in your life have you

pretty good troll I gotta say

A pan covered in burnt eggs is probably the worst smell when washing it off.

Thicc.

If your diet is actually balanced and healthy enough, it doesnt matter if you sometimes use butter to cook your steaks and such.

the surface of the pan is flat and rigid. if you put a steak that isn't perfectly lfat on the pan the heating will not be on the entier surface. hot oil helps get into the little 'crack's of the meat and increase surface area and so heat transfer, resulting in better cooking

You do not get a nice crunchy crust on a steak if you use oil or butter. The fat in the steak should be enough to prevent it from sticking.

This.
If I remember correctly Julia Child always used butter for her cooking but stressed a balanced diet.
Basically quality > quantity
Unfortunately people would rather pig out on large quantities of fat free bullshit rather than enjoy a small portion of less healthy shit.

>pointing out that you don't give a fuck

This is basically pointing out to everyone that you give a fuck. you know what people who don't give a fuck say and do? Nothing. They say nothing to anyone, because that's what not giving a fuck is. they do their own thing, and they don't give a rat's ass if you know about it or not. Fuck, I hate social media.

What's a "portion"? Here in the midwest, we do not understand your new wave vocabulary.

>rather pig out on large quantities of fat free bullshit
people like this piss me off because my mom is one and even though i've been through a culinary trade-school and have plenty of work experience on kitchens there's just no changing her mind because some quack 20years ago said on the TalmudVision that fat is bad for you.

just fyi, you are on the spectrum

It prevents sticking and helps with flavour.

according to the internet, everybody is.

>Try cooking eggs without oil or butter and tell us how well that went for you.
Scrambled eggs do not need oil or butter to cook well.

Neutral cooking oils impart little to no flavor.

It helps cook evenly and protects the meat from burning. Oil draws away heat and lubricates.

It does seem like he is on the spectrum. But then I remember that we are all guilty of similar rantings albeit usually related to something else

I agree that was a very autistic post.

>Scrambled eggs do not need oil or butter to cook well.

oh looks it's retarded

Not an argument. They do not. Butter is only added for flavor and texture.