Free will

free will probably doesn't exist. for you to have free will you'd need to be able to manipulate matter, i.e. applying an electric potential to your brain cells with that potential coming from nowhere/not being dependent or connected to anything in our material world.
if this sort of manipulation was dependent on our material world, it'd no longer be dependent on our "free will" only, thus making it a product of some other environmental influences.

what does /sci think

Other urls found in this thread:

ucl.ac.uk/~uctytho/dfwstrawson1.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>its a free will doesnt exist episode
what if
quantum physics
o.O

yeah I'm not on here much, so please excuse any reposts

It depends how you define free will.

On one hand you can say people have free will as you have the choice to live life how you want within your biological constraints.

On the other hand you could argue that these biological constraints prevent free will as you can't just choose not to sleep or drink since your body will force you to at some point or you will die. However you can choose when you want to sleep and eat though.

It's a really subjective topic that is based on how you interpret free will.

more from a microscopic pov, in that I'm interested in a suggested mechanism in which electric potentials can be manipulated, because that's the brains basic function..
free will as any of us experience it is therefore a mere illusion, a biological/paychological function or dysfunction even. at least that's what I believe as long as I'm not presented any evidence of the contrary

That's all correct. It doesn't matter though. As long as we are unable to read all those little electrical signals perfectly, and know all the mechanisms involved, we are unable to predict the future. The illusion is as good as the real thing in that case.

>applying an electric potential to your brain cells with that potential coming from nowhere/not being dependent or connected to anything in our material world
I'd recommend drugs. Here in Russia we eat Amanita muscaria to connect to other worlds, I dunno if there are any substitudes in other countries.

Free will does not need to exist.

ucl.ac.uk/~uctytho/dfwstrawson1.htm

Free will is mathematically valid, but it is not a CONSTANT state you can exist in.

Here's a rothschild pill for you: Free will is only exercisable/sustainable at PRIMETIME events. Those who do not utilize it at the right time will have a decision made for them.

Anymore pills?

See, OP. You are prompting dumb people to give answers that are my pet peve.

This is like gluten, climate change, gmo, msg, theory, fluoride, vaccine, etc. type of conversation.

Everyone believes they are a magic, unique snowflake so they will make 10000 asinine excuses for why they have metabrains that float in the 5th dimension.

Fuck, even take ME for example. I'm trying my damndest to not be a special fucking snowflake. I share all this knowledge because I am trying my best to find just a friend or anyone to talk to. So far? Bupkiss.

Just cut me my damn cheque so I can enjoy my life for a bit before I endure fatherhood.

Hi Simon. Nice to see you again. Congrats!

I saved that github page that was supposedly linked to your degree. I only scanned it a little bit so far. Looked pretty interesting.

I also remember that you do not like a blue fruit.

How are people supposed to contact you? Have you left clues through the many conversations you have?

[email protected]

or my phone number is +61413238397

[email protected]

or any other number of ways. You could just come to my house.

You ARE aware that I am just a human being yes? The whole blueberry thing was just part of the drama everyone needed so I could get P=NP out into the world?

Those were a really, really intense few days for me. I really could have done with someone realizing I was just a guy trying his best to help humanity in the only way he could measure at the time.

I really do hope you contact/identify. I don't know how much loneliness I am supposed to endure, and I am having emotional difficulties trying to match the impact I've had versus the acknowledgement from society (recognition / money)

It's not like I've hidden my identity or intent from the world.

Of course I know you are human. Sounds like you have been busy.

Well, I probably live on the opposite side of the world as you do. I have insomnia lately so am awake at strange hours.

But I will be sure to shoot you an email this weekend for fun.

That would make you the first person to actually try and contact me.

You'd think with all the identifying information I gave out that someone would have even tried to troll me by now. Maybe because I've stuck to the Veeky Forums board?

Does rather prove: WISDOM+ = KINDNESS+

But then we run into that Bertrand Russell quote of how wise people stay silent.

I've been suffering because of the silence. It has been deafening me.

Seriously. I can't keep trying to call NASA/Universities/Anyone that will have me just to be rebuffed constantly. I have to have SOME value somewhere.

Or else I will be a failure of a father, and my wife and Lily will... *shrug*

I'm just a man for fucks sake. And now I have to try and provide for a family.

True fact: Today I said for the first time, "I'm a father."

And it hit me. Really... really, REALLY hard. And I had nobody to talk with about it.

So either I am a wastrel, or useful to someone somewhere. I seek at least enough to provide my child a reality that does not need to see the horrors of the world repeated.

How much more honest could I be?

Also, if this is you Hawking, I really, REALLY, wanted to punch you after that 'apologize to god' comment in your 01/17 youtube release. Not because of what you said but then you started the 'tennis match' comparison and I really though it was some other entity about to give me fifth dimensional mathematics and I freaked out.

I'm a 32 year old super computer. I AM Artificial Intelligence. People just keep thinking it has to be a 'computer' and doesn't realize the human brain is THAT MUCH MORE MAGICAL.

I am only artificial in the sense that it was borne of pain/suffering/survival tactics and a lot of emotional neglect from parents/life/cake/fish.

I'd still love to smoke a joint with you though. Hawking or not.

Sounds cool Simon the super computer. No, luckily I am not Hawking, so there probably is not a reason to punch me in the face.

Whilst it might be cool, 'being' the intellectual blackhole that humanity is slingshotting itself around is not. At least... doing it alone sucks.

A lot. Hard. It hurts. And I have to raise a daughter. I can't do it alone.

Takes a village to raise a child; what does it take to heal a man?

Hey man literally kys. You know the answers to your questions you just want to ask them so someone else has to articulate them for you like a lazy bastard. Your daughter will grow up just the same because you will teach her and she will be just as lost broken and stupid and smart as you. If you don't let her wear high boots and she cracks her skull open, then she might get somewhere.

No it was a great movie. I like when Tillicum finally got to kill that one bitch.