What's your favorite pathway to fusion, Veeky Forums?

What's your favorite pathway to fusion, Veeky Forums?

I'm really liking Helion Energy's approach. They seem to be making good progress.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-reversed_configuration
patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=9,082,516&OS=9,082,516&RS=9,082,516
lasers.llnl.gov/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpqA8yG9T4
youtu.be/efOlmF3wjJE
www2.jpl.nasa.gov/adv_tech/ballutes/Blut_ppr/vnusmatl.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_PACER
twitter.com/AnonBabble

An ignition event will never occur on earth (outside of a bomb). Fusion power is a meme.

What's their approach.

Proof?

FRC plasma via merging collision, specifically utilizing a D-He3 fuel cycle

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-reversed_configuration

patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=9,082,516&OS=9,082,516&RS=9,082,516

20 years of the National Ignition Facility with black funds from the largest GDP country finally saying "we give up" lets go test some nukes simulations.
lasers.llnl.gov/

>NIF gave up so they could focus on sucking the sweet DoD teat therefore all methods of confinement are doomed.
That's fucking stupid.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpqA8yG9T4

Thé guy who said fusion is always 30 years away designed this reactor.
I will post a link or to if I can find it

the stellarator seems to hold the most promise currently

That was a cool video (recommended for the doubters)

Here is how it will be assembled.

youtu.be/efOlmF3wjJE

looks, uh... involved

Why? Why wasn't I born a physicist? It's not fucking fair.

I know that feel bro.
Good thing they need other people as well.
Electricians designers engineers simulation people (whatever they are)

I'm a designer. Always looking for ways to get near this sort of shit. No luck so far.

I don't care much about it being a feasible energy source, but Wendelstein 7-X is pretty rad from an engineering standpoint and I'm interested to see if plasma physics actually starts to behave itself in it now.
As far as power plants with it go, it just seems too expensive to build one around such a complex and highly accurate machine. Building this thing was already hell. Building a much larger one, let alone maintaining it, would probably suck.

Can you design me a Venus miner?
Have been thinking about this...
How to mine the surface?

What would a designer do?
The design develops based on the physics/engineering that makes the device function as intended

Who the fuck else is gonna put these sick decals on the reactor?
>The design develops based on the physics/engineering that makes the device function as intended
>implying these don't make the reactor ignite better

Okay, now this is something I'd find awesome to actually be involved with.

ANYONE FUCKING HIRING?!

>Lockheed offered me a spot on their compact fusion R&D team before I graduated
>the they rescinded the offer a few weeks later citing restructuring
>restructuring
Kill me.
I like my job now but I would've been making 10% more and living in the desert half way between Yosemite and Joshua Tree national parks, which would've been awesome for someone who is into wildlife photography

The designer makes sure that the device can be taken apart, fixed, modified or built efficiently.

I've always loved the promise of Fusion, but seeing how ITER is collapsing under the weight of it's own budget, and our next best hopes are practically kickstarter-backed projects, I doubt we will get there any time soon.

With the price of solar dropping faster then even I would believe, the only thing we need next is storage. I have much more hope there.

But the NIF's real purpose was always to test nuke simulations. Laser fusion is a joke.

Fusion plasma is so hot that it is nothing like a flame. Flames coming out of the reactor means something is wrong, very very very wrong.

Put a bird on the reactor instead

"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible" ~Kelvin Lord William Thompson

Superfluid helium-3. That's literally the only fuel source that will work. How you go about generating fusion is trivial, it just needs to be the right fuel.

I want to hug the bird!

You're ignorant as fuck

make an electric excavator. For motors we use switched reluctance motors, for power we use a molten salt battery, both of these work at Venusian ambient temperatures. Of course there is no way in hell we can have a human on the thing to control it. What we do instead is make it use silicon carbide semiconductor electronics to make it radio controllable. Silicon carbide electronics can work at Venusian ambient temperatures.

For getting the material back to the floating cloud cities we use balloons. It has been found that there are probably plastic films capable of surviving the high temperatures the Venusian surface for long enough to carry out a balloon mission:
www2.jpl.nasa.gov/adv_tech/ballutes/Blut_ppr/vnusmatl.pdf

Plastics like this are something that could be made using materials available at altitude, PIBO/PBO is just nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon

If plastics don't work out we can use metal balloons, pic related. A metal bellows filled with helium will float on venus. With this we can lift it up to altitudes where we don't have to use exotic materials(aside from the fact that they must resist sulfuric acid) and then use another balloon to lift the material up to our venus colonies

lockheed's fusion reactor is a meme

I wonder why.

Just like the Em Drive?

It's an interesting design.
Cussed magnetic field configuration which allows for min-B confinement, which brings inherent stability from things like interchange instabilities, and lends itself to high beta applications. They still need to incorporate neutral beam injection, but the ports are already in place for that.

It's not a meme... It's probably some kind of tax deduction at the least.

*Cusped

You don't even need a balloon, you could have an elevator lifting shit up to a tethered platform

It would be like mining at the bottom of the ocean, except further & hotter, but less pressure/light still gets through the clouds

>What's your favorite pathway to fusion, Veeky Forums?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_PACER
"exploding small hydrogen bombs (fusion bombs)—or, as stated in a later proposal, fission bombs—inside an underground cavity."

>>tether
You need a tether tens kilometers long that goes through clouds of sulfuric acid, has to withstand high temperatures, and high winds.

What's exciting is that super conductors are getting better and cheaper.
Iter is already out of date equipment.

Thanks this is good material.

I'd be in favor of fully funding the 'maximum effort' line if you would take 100% of the funds from welfare.

> microsoft office