Alright Veeky Forums - how do you really cook basmati rice?

Alright Veeky Forums - how do you really cook basmati rice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OuPABfgsa4g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pan, nice and hot

with water

Here's what I do:

1) Rinse the rice
2) put in rice cooker pot and fill with water
3) let soak for 10 minutes
4) drain the rice, refill with water to the appropriate mark on the cooker. Turn on the rice cooker.
5) Wait until the cooker does its thing. When done, open the lid and fluff the basmati. Close the lid and let sit for about 10 minutes before eating.

on the heat
off the heat

2:1 water:rice ratio

rinse it. like a lot more than you think you should with fresh water a strainer and a bowl

let it soak in fresh cold water for AT LEAST half an hour

rinse it again and put it in a pot to boil with however much water for the ratio + salt or oil or butter or whatever you want

bring it to a boil, stir it bit, cover it a renuce the heat to a gentle simmer for 25 minutes

Both are technically adequate for most people and will generally produce edible rice.

What if I want not just edible but fantastic rice?

make biryani

This is how I do it, and it makes perfect basmati rice every time.
>rinse rice until water is clear
>let rice soak for at least 30 minutes
>boil water like you would for pasta
>add rice and stir once
>drain rice when it's basically al dente
>put in a mound on baking sheet, and top with a little butter
>put in 400F oven for 5-7 minutes to steam and fluff

throw it in a rice cooker and forget about it

IT'S FUCKING RAWWWWWWWWW

don't do this pls

WRONG boyo, use stock/broth

I would use a 1 and 1/3 to 1 water:rice ratio for more fluffy rice.

someone who needs instructions on how to make rice should use more water until they get the hang of it

this is how I do it but only have to soak it for ~15 min

optional: put oil into the pot before hand and brown some thinly sliced onion before putting the rice in

youtu.be/OuPABfgsa4g

order from your local gook restaurant

Brown person here:

>Rinse the rice
>Put in rice cooker with water
>Add a teaspoon of vegetable oil
>Add cumin
>???
>Done

Fucking white people not adding cumin

racist

>Add a teaspoon of vegetable oil
Stop it.

cause I'm lazy and tired, a rice cooker and water

I dont. I only use jasmin rice. But I rinse them in water a couple of times until the water is almost clear.
Then cook them in 2:1 water/rice ratio. Cooking time is a little different because my stove is fucked so I cant control heat correctly. But i give it full power until it boils then turn it down below medium and wait, checking in on them once in a while. Once they are done I use a rice spatula and give them a gentle stir to avoid rice burning on the bottom and to let it steam off.

When I get the timing right, it works damn good.

Sometimes i boil a whole lime sliced in half with them for fragrance, or some safran. you can easily give your rice some fragrance with just a few things.

Wtf. This is absolutely acceptable. You must be one of those people who only likes rice that is 70% water and squishy.

Is it safe to throw bacon into a rice cooker?

Im thinking of laying the bacon at the bottom then the water and rice than veggies.

>Bayleaf
>Salt
>Pepper
>Red Pepper
>Red Chilli
>Onion
>3 Cloves of garlic
>tin of tomatoes
>all purpose seasoning
>chicken broth

>rice cooker

I don't see why not. It'd be getting direct heat from the bottom and heat from up top. It'd be releasing a lot of fat and grease which would give flavour to the rice and veggies.

The only concern I might have is whether or not it would start to burn.

that's the problem with it, if it's on the bottom it'll likely burn but if you put it on top (which will cook it) you get soggy bacon

if your rice doesn't burn, why would the bacon?

olive oil in pan, whole garlic clove, fry garlic until brown, then add 1 cup of basmati and sautee until toasty smelling, then add salt and 1 1/2 cups of hot water, if not hot bring to boil then cover with kitchen towel and lid and turn down low for 15 minutes until water has evaporated. Turn off heat and leave for 5 minutes then fluff with fork. Then let it rest for 1/2 an hour more and you should have fluffy tasty rice.