Knife

I bought this 10" Victorinox knife for $40 and i bought a 4" paring knife. I'm going to be a world class chef and be able to wala everything now, right?

The meme knife is not as good as it used to be fwiw

I bought one like 8 years ago, its alright. I have not used it in about 5 years tho. I got better knives.

damn. i can probably commit sudoku with it though. amazon reviewers always fuck me over. but i don't want to leave the house

I bet it's still better than my $15 Walmart knife.

oh. but also why isn't it as good? did they change steel quality? pretty sure it's just a stamped blade so i can only think that its not good because it's cheaper metal

I have the 9'' Fibrox slicer that I sometimes use for cooking, like a chef's knife. It's pretty decent.

Excuse the shitty image, it was the best I could find.

I bought one of these 8 inch Winco Knives at a restaurant supply store for 20 bucks and it's probably my favorite knife. I love how clearance it has, and while the handle isn't aesthetic, its very utilitarian and very comfortable. I'd recommend it

Victorinox is still good but not the best, I use it when I'm not using my Tojiro gyuto. They are both good considering I got them for more than for less than $100 combined.

You did fine OP. The thing is Victorinox got popular as the go-to budget chef knife and the price went up on them a few months back.

Still a good blade, just make sure to hand wash and dry it when you are done with each session.

Troll thread bullshit aside, Victorinox Fibrox is what I stock in my working knife case. All of my working knives are Victorinox Fibrox. I have more expensive and nicer knives, but I'd never take them to work. I like them. Fairly inexpensive, yet work well.

PS. Try the 12" chef's.

40$ is nothing... I've got stuff worth 200$+

So? This isn't a dick measuring thread, user. OP did good and the Victorinox Fibrox is a great knife for the price.

Fibrox are good knives but no better than most £10 knives you'll find in a restaurant supply store.

but i already bought the 10". i don't know anyone that uses a 12" knife so i can't borrow one. Hardly anyone i know uses a 10" one

no it's better because the anally retentive bow tie poindexter endorsed it in 1998, therefore we should pay $100 for it, even $200, doesn't matter, if you disagree with me you hate science

12'' is bullshit, even many professional cooks working in a restaurant use a knife shorter than 10''. 12'' is only justified in a slicer, if you often have to carve up gigantic roasts in a pro kitchen, it's nothing a homecook would ever need.

Decent knife for everyday stuff. I have one and it's not bad. Just don't let your co-workers touch it and you'll be fine. My co-workers have a tendency to drop them and break the tips off or forget to use a cutting board and chop shit on a metal table like fuckin idiots

Yeah I personally find 10" unwieldy.

6-7" Santoku/Funayuki is my current favorite.

We keep these knives around the kitchen where I work. They really don't look like much but they seem pretty reliable.Do you work at the circus m8

Holy shit iktfb. I sharpen all the knives at work to a razor edge only to catch one of them bashing it into a steel countertop.

One time I literally handed my coworker a cutting board and she said "I hate using these things," but couldn't justify why.

I bring my own knives to work now, let them use their blunted ones.

Best knife I've ever had.

I have one my grandma gave me, but it's a 10" and a bit too big for my taste.

Unless you can name something you can do with it other than cut things, stop buying unitaskers.

Crush garlic. Crack crustaceans with the hilt. Smash nuts with the ridge. Stab you in the face - it's technically not cutting.

>Do you work at the circus m8
Definitely a lot of clowns bouncing around

now look what you made me do

THE CLOVE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD.

>Buying a knife without a tang.

Why though?

Kitchen Devils knives are excellent, i prefer their control series for the handle shape. The steel isn't top quality but the edges have a standard bevel and so work well on nearly all of those cheap knife sharpeners you can get. I prefer an 8 inch knife for the majority of cutting.

I own a 10 inch butchers steak knife, bought from a local supply store. It works very well for carving and cost around £8

Kitchen knives don't need to be expensive to work well. A well sharpened and designed £10 knife will out preform a dull and heavy £100 every time.

>knife broke straight through the blade
>but muh full tang would have stopped it!
where do people get this shit? it's like they think if you spout buzzwords from the wusthof catalog it will make it sound like they know how knives work. do you even know what a tang is?

Anyone else just crush garlic between your fingers? I find it easier than using a knife.

You can't even see if this knife has a tang. It's the blade that broke, right in front of the bolster. I have no idea how, though. Must have been a flaw in the steel.

>buying a knife with a bolster

>>but muh full tang would have stopped it!

Nobody said that.

The chain of logic works like this:
-a full tang is a sign of a good quality knife
-a good quality knife would not have failed like that.

Or if you prefer:
-lack of a full tang indicates a shitty knife
-big surprise that a shitty knife broke

That's the argument explained to you. Though personally I disagree with it; many of the finest knives in the world don't have a full tang.

It's garbage logic not even worth dignifying with the word "logic"

have a VERY similar one by zwilling. super nice, sharp and balanced. very nice for the price (80 € ca.)

I recently bought pic related.

Its fucking fantastic.

Are Nakiri really that much better than a Gyuto or Santoku for vegetables? I mean, assuming you aren't dicing up vegetables 4+ hours a day, I just can't see getting a single purpose knife like that.

No. I had extra money to spend and threw it at this. I basically only use an 8 inch chefs knife and a 4 inch paring knife. This was a good middle ground between them. It isn't worth the $120 I spent on it, but it is certainly a good knife and it works well on boneless meat as well.