Whiskey

What's the difference between different 'types' of whiskey?
What are the cheap shitty brands, which are overrated and which are underrated?
Tell me all I need to know.

Bourbon is a USA made corn whiskey
Tennessee whiskey is a marketing meme that Tennessee distillers use to differentiate themselves but it's still bourbon really
Both are quite harsh regardless of ABV

Rye whiskey is North American and traditionally made from rye but cheeky Canadians call most of their whiskey rye even if it's not
Canadian whiskeys are for fags

Irish whiskeys are a clusterfuck because the only criteria to be an Irish whiskey is to be made in the RoI

Scotch whiskeys are made from barley and vary a lot based on the region they're from
Drinking Scotch whiskey is a bit of a meme but they do tend to have the most consistent quality across a wide range

>avoid anything under 40%, buy strong and add spring water if necessary
>avoid anything over £50/70cl
>avoid meme bottlings like 'gentleman jack'
>avoid blended whiskeys until you can identify what flavours and characters you like and dislike or you'll waste your money
>start with half bottles from your local large supermarket, they're usually competitively priced and you'll find a shallow but broad range

This is complicated shit with nuances and skubfights all around.

So. Basically it can be roughly be brought down to three types
1: Single malt, made from malted barley, from a single distillery.
2:Blended malt whiskey, this is the same than above except it is blended from different distilleries.
3:Everything fucking else, which does not make it bad, but newfriends and wannabe elitists will shit on you if you like enything except the ones mentioned above.

There are books written about this shit, go read one.

>Tennessee whiskey is a marketing meme that Tennessee distillers use to differentiate themselves but it's still bourbon really
> it's bourbon that's undergone the Lincoln county process.

>Both are quite harsh regardless of ABV
fucking hell that's a shitty statement

Honestly, it's pretty convoluted and really isn't worth learning so I'll break it down for you in terms of what you actually should know

1. Bourbon - Has to be made in USA. Gets a lot of its characteristic flavor from the limerock in Kentucky water

2. Scotch - Has to be made in Scotland. Gets a lot of flavor from the peatmoss that fucking grows everywhere

3. Irish - just a shittier scotch. don't buy

4. Canada - complete fucking scam. trash blended whiskey. any "good" canadian whiskey is literally brewed in kentucky and then re-sold. Avoid Canadian whiskey at all costs

5. Japanese - good bourbon clones. worth buying

beyond this, it gets pretty nuanced with regards to how long they have to be aged, in what type of barrel, how much the barrel was charred, what kind of grains were used in the mash, whether or not its a single barrel or single malt, if its a blended whiskey, and so on. There are an infinite number of "recipes" that can be involved in that glass of whiskey you're drinking so this is why it has such an autistic community. you can try things out your entire life and never fully conquer the art.

avoid wild turkey it's overpriced af
google it
jack is alright but not the best
try small bottles until you find something you like

The difference is usually: mash ingredients (some countries regulate quantities for name use, some are merely unwritten standards), the origin of the water source, average liquid age from the barrels and master blenders preference of what flavours they can market and bottle consistently.

Read a book on distilling for the ins and outs of whiskey presented by someone with a passion for them and will fill you in on the history. You won't remember all the distinctions by reading from a summary/wiki.

Ask around to see if any new hipster place around you does whiskey tasting or stocks a lot of them. Write down a review for each sip on your phone.

>jack is alright
dropped

Step 1: Try whiskeys
Step 2: Drink whiskeys you like.
Step 3: Drink more whiskeys you like.
Repeat the steps 1 through 3 throughout your life and maybe include friends from time to time for extra enjoyment.

There are 2 types of people you need to know about before you talk about whiskey...
Those that have drank loads of it and know it all tastes the same and it's basically all strong piss at varying price levels.
Or those who have been drinking whiskey for ages and can't tell the difference but have to uphold this image of a wizard of whiskey that talks about the notes and flavours and tones when really... it's fucking paint stripper.

I'm the first guy.
Drank whiskey now for 12 years... still can barely tell the fucking difference between a £12 bottle of piss and a £100 bottle of expensive piss.
It all tastes vile.
It all goes in your mouth, comes out of your cock an hour later.
Just depends how expensive you want your urine to be.

Just drink Evan Williams. Seriously. Don't listen to all these douchebags and their faggot hipster whiskey talk. Evan Williams is all the whiskey you'll ever need.

seconding this. get you some rich n rare

Jim Beam is the same price but much better

This thread is filled with lies. Here comes the real version:

Scotch Blended

Tastes like whiskey. They all taste the same because they all taste like whiskey

Scotch single malt

Tastes either of liquid smoke or apples.

Bourbon

Tastes of sugar because it's made by and for Americans

Irish

Tastes of cream. The science behind this is that they're triple distilled. But some of them are not.
Canadian

People itt are right, it's not very good. But to be honest it's not much worse than blended Scotch.

Japanese whiskey

A clone of Scotch single malt. Overpriced because it has a very massive current hipster nu-male status.

nothing to talk about its the same, if you are rich and have money to spend and want to showoff, buy the most expensive you could find, otherwise, buy whatever you like cheap, when someone bitching about blended or single malt canada china maerica yadayada just insult him with :
every distiller have their own point of view and art of distill, you are making yourself stupid

Legally it's just bourbon made in Tennessee. Lots of non-tennesee bourbons are charcoal filtered. Lots of Tennessee bourbons aren't.
Harshness can be subjective but Tennessees do tend to be regardless of what your fanboyness tells you.
What this guy says.
Go to your local fancy fuck liquor store, find a neat label and buy it.
You're not gonna find your favorite by looking at what other people like.
Good to know new york strip and hot dogs are the same thing.

This entire thread is toxic OP

just google some whiskey for beginners articles and read those

I would recommend not buying any "craft distiller" shit starting out, stick to the established brands.

This too.
Fucking hell some of the craft distilleries are just as bad as the MUH IBU MUH HOPS breweries with the nasty shit they get up to.

You're a fucking idiot, I don't even care if this is bait

>Americans getting asspained over the efficacy of their precious charcoal filtering
eyyy

Do what this guy says The only other thing I can recommend is trying whiskeys that are a bit different, and asking what other whiskeys people like and based on that trying what they recommend. I for example like the bourbon "Three Roses", and think Jamesson is okay. If I recommended "Iverness Cream", should you consider it?

IF IT'S SCOTCH IT'S SPELLED WHISKY

DAMN IT THIS TRIIGERS MY AUTISM EVERY TIME

If you're in a bar and it has a variety of whisky types, just try one instead of a beer. It's a good way to experience the variety.

I'm not him but IMO It's painful to change the spelling in the middle of a text. It feels very pretentious for some reason. Therefore if I've established one spelling already I tend to use it even though it becomes wrong in some instances.