NASA planning to explore asteroid worth $10,000 QUADRILLION worth of resources

google.co.uk/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/96709250/

All these articles are quick to talk about how it'd collapse the economy, but this could spark a massive new renaissance for the human race if actually mined or brought back to Earth, the world economy would need massive restructuring of course

Gay space communism in our time?

Other urls found in this thread:

bigthink.com/philip-perry/47-of-jobs-in-the-next-25-years-will-disappear-according-to-oxford-university
youtube.com/watch?v=RAn-6DNPXXo
spacecraftresearch.com/eddy/eddy_overview.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This seems fucking cool. But please, no space communism.

>NASA has no plans to bring the massive asteroid home and lacks the technology to mine it

Scientific clickbaits are the worst

That shit is a giant metal ball
It's like saying "Jupiter is worth 10^58 dollars!"

>But please, no space communism.

Fuck you. If we were able to have much more than we need then the perfect communist utopia can begin. We should start by genociding all rich people.

Bruh just bomb it, and get the goods, it won't add up to $10,000 quadrillion, but it's still a lot.

The question it's about the chance of retrieve.

Can it be done?

>wahh, why does he have more stuff than me? He must obviously be stealing from me! I know, I'll just kill him and steal back my stuff

If you had enough money to support you and your entire extended family for 1000 generations, while other people are starving, it is moral to steal from them.

I for one welcome our new space commodity overlords

No, that's not the point. If you think killing the rich is about jealousy then you have been brainwashed.

Tell me, if we were able to become perfect communists... do you think the very rich would let us?

>Sure. All this time I have had 100 times more wealth and status than you but I'll just happily let you get that same wealth and status, therefore lowering my own.

They wouldn't. Someone who is rich in capitalism would NEVER allow capitalism to end. We've heard the phrase. Don't rock the boat. If communism happened, everyone would be rich so the rich today would lose all their power. No one would work for them if all their workers were also rich.

That is why we have to kill them. Because they don't want to rock the boat but we want to rick it. We want everyone to be rich. They want everyone else to be poor so that they can have all the status and wealth.

you're a fucking moron. communism will never work.

/pol/ thinks that communism is kike propaganda because... I don't know honestly. They keep raving about a few rich jews controlling the world but fully espouse the right wing capitalist economics that has allowed them to reach that state of power through their money. I've heard arguments about the USSR being jewish controlled so some of them might think that jewish soviet "communists" created a centralized command structure to control everyone through equality and degeneracy, nevermind the fact that the USSR was anti-semitic. There's just no arguing with these people honestly.

i... it's not communism if you are post scarcity

>there exists finite resources
>through the hard work and ingenuity of my ancestors and I, I've gained an above-average share of those resources
>it's moral for someone else who did not work hard and/or made poor decisions to come and take my resources
This shit is why I practice at the shooting range on a regular basis

If we start mining asteroids with ridiculous amount of wealth then yes we fucking can.

And even without that we still can, but we will have to settle with everyone being middle class, not rich. Which is also fine. Communism does not care about wealth, it cares mostly about economic equality so that everyone has a fair chance at being succesful.

But a communist revolution always has to start with the genocide of rich people as they would never allow the rest to become rich. You know:

Being rich is not about having a lot of money. It is about having more money than everyone else.

>it's moral for someone else who did not work hard and/or made poor decisions to come and take my resources

I don't think this is moral. I think it is moral to kill them and then take the wealth they peacefully left behind.

I do not hate the rich, but I believe in what human psychology and economics tell us. People always have incentives and they work with those incentives in minds.

Political incentives can explain the most benevolent people and the worst tyrants to day. People who manage slave states only do so because it is in their best interest to do it. They are not bad people, it is just that they have no other choice. If they ever stop mining that gold with their slaves then someone else will do it and then kill them and take their power. That is how dictatorships work. That is why dictators are so cruel. If they are start being benevolent then someone will fuck them up and start a revolution against them.

The same happens with the rich. They have an incentive to keep everyone poor, so that they can stay rich. Unfortunately that is human nature. They will always have that incentive in mind. The only way to help them is by murdering them and hoping that their kids will be able to grow without those cancerous incentives and think more about equality and peace.

>le rich people are rich because they work hard maymay
>le only dumb/lazy people are not rich
>rich people's clueless offspring deserve to have more control over society in spite of any lack of skill

How much more cucked can you get? Licking the ballsack of a bunch of people that would dismiss you outright if you disagreed with them.

That's fair.

>hey, want some steel? Go ahead and take some, there's literally more than all of humanity could make use of.

>The question it's about the chance of retrieve.
>Can it be done?
Yes, sure, just use gravitational traction, some rockets, maybe explosive and land it onto earth.

Such a shit decision not to be born into a rich family? Or being disabled?

And the hard work of spending inherited money to hire smart people to make more money for you?

And no one's going to be stealing any of your money Cletus so calm down.

We're already at a point where automation is putting humans out of work. The question is whether or not we use this technology to benefit the few or the vast majority of society.

This asteroid would create an explosion in technology, microcomputers would be far cheaper, and this amount of resources (which is worth far more than the entire world economy) could help create a post scarce society and even give us the ability to explore space

Of course, under the current system, this would bankrupt the entire world economy, putting tons of people out of work. It's why for an endeavour like this the world economy needs to be restructured based on human need. We're already having governments around the world experimenting with Basic Income to try tackle poverty and mass unemployment caused by automation and other things. While in some countries it caused a slight decrease in employment, a big cause of that is people going into higher education to gain better skills without needing to worry about providing for family

This creates far more cultural and intellectual capital and definitely will help improve society with more people becoming doctors, educators, artists, programmers and philosophers

There are oceans, full of water worth billions and trillions of dollars.
There is no shortage of iron and nickel.
The real shortage is cheap energy.

iron is already cheap as hell, labor and energy costs drive the prices up in manufacturing.

> the world economy needs to be restructured based on human need.

Do you NEED two-ply toilet paper? Do you NEED sauce on your food? Do you NEED air-conditioning on at all times?
Of course you don't.
Communists don't understand the first thing about humans: desire is infinity. Post-scarcity is impossible, as soon as we reach a point where we have abundance of something, we'll invent something else with it that increases our comfort and costs accordingly.

> land it onto earth.
The asteroid is 200 km in diameter.
An asteroid 10 km in diameter wiped out the dinosaurs.

Any other bright ideas?

What kind of retard actually thinks this would crash the economy? Maybe if it hit earth...
All mining this would do is oversaturate the iron market by magnitudes. It would certainly crash the iron market and likely wouldnt be a financially viable space mining mission for quite some time.

Land it slowly

Are you on the spectrum or just can't decipher irony?

Capitalists dont have a monopoly over violence and the creating of currency. Anyone working under a capitalist is infinitely more free than someone working under communism.
Jews controling anything other than most banks, media outlets, and the dreidel market is a meme.

>worth $10,000 QUADRILLION

Not if it is brought to Earth.

Anyone want to buy asteroid iron futures?

lrn2/Veeky Forums/, kids

g- gibs me dat

START MAKIJHN THE MONEY IM GUNNA TAKE IT

If they're in it for the money, they better not import minerals from space.

Space minerals are infinity more valuable because they're in fucking space! 1kg of gold is worth $40k, but it costs $20 to put that in orbit. So 1kg of space gold is worth $60k. The second space gold lands on earth, they devalue it by 1/3 it's price.

I did the math on this once. Even if you redistributed from the handful of people who own 50% of the world's wealth to everyone else, their standards of living would rise only marginally. It would be a barely noticeable difference. That's how many people there are. We should be genociding the poor. If every country on Earth were as sparsely populated as Sweden, every country would be able to be as opulent as Sweden. (Although this ignores the fact that most of the wealth that comprises that top 50% comes from "economies of scale", i.e. slave driving the poor.)

There wouldn't be any difference at all actually. People don't change for the most part without some world shattering event happening to them normally. Extra money is just a small speed bump for how they live.

Going to be nice, having to spend maybe, 50 billion then you no longer need any more spending for further space development. pretty neat

>If communism happened, everyone would be rich

What people don't understand about the very notion of communism is that Marx proposed it as an inevitable, inexorable stage of human economic history. This means both that it can't be prevented, but also that it can't be forced before its time comes.

> enormous amount of resources
leading to
> economic collapse

anyone else see something wrong with this?

Automation is threatening to destroy the economy, or at the very least cause an economic cataclysm, for a similar reason: we don't have enough time to adjust.

bigthink.com/philip-perry/47-of-jobs-in-the-next-25-years-will-disappear-according-to-oxford-university

Communism always fails and it's not exactly because of lack of resources. I'd rather not get shot for thinking the system is shit and actually own the stuff I use

We'd find ways to waste that money pretty quickly.

they could just park it in orbit and then distribute it in a controlled way

and it wouldn't collapse the economy... We'd be building shit with it for hundreds of years

>Such a shit decision not to be born into a rich family? Or being disabled?
retards like you will be pruned.

you can get unlucky and be born a retard.

but to stay a retard willingly is a different story.

Marx was so full of shit he had diarrhea of the mouth. Humanity will eventually regress to a point where nothing belongs to anyone and everyone is a slave to those that control the distribution of nessisary goods? Utter garbage. Why live a life where you can never rise above your means or strive to be something more than what you were yesterday? Communism is a system designed by dictators to appease parasites.

Marx wasn't a prophet

>marx was le dum
>i am smart tho

Mark was a worthless, shitposting NEET

I didn't say Marx was dumb. I said he cannot predict the future.

>Economists
>Not dumb
>Philosophers
>Not dumb
>Anything humanities related
>Not dumb
Pretty sure Marx falls in at least one of those

> they could just park it in orbit
Is this more of that irony I'm supposed to decipher?

A rock with the diameter of 200 km would have the surface area of, oh, about North Carolina. Or, if you are from Europe, greater than Switzerland.

If you could somehow nudge it out of its current orbit, steering it into Earth orbit would be like ants trying to catch a runaway freight train.

The only way you could get anything at all from this is if you parked a robot miner on it, drilled off a piece, and shot it at an unpopulated section of Earth.

And what could ever go wrong with that?

What about making it orbit the moon?

Washlets would solve the toilet paper at least desu

Use the asteroid to build a base in space, then we can test all the technologies that are viable in space but are too dangerous to test on earth

sure m8 how much will you pay me for 50 tons of lead
I'll leave em in orbit, thats more valuable :))

But metal is heavy. No way in hell they are moving it back to earth. If they did, it would just fall down

The hell are you talking about? You can just push it towards earth with carefully detonated bombs.

>no arguments
>le greentxt mems:DDDDD

Nuclear bombs cannot into space because of the Outer Space Treaty

I didn't say nuclear.

They should land a probe on. Like Rosetta, but with magnets instead of harpoons. But like with wheels instead of harpoons so like it drive around on the metal asteroid.

Of course the magnets would likely fuck with the science they want to do, but still ASTEROID ROVER.

They could also try to deploy an asteroid hopper like the one Hayabusa failed to eject properly

I'm sure if the United States wanted to they could

Clawed legs could work.

Yup. Treaties are just paper and have no hold except what we grant them. And the economic costs of pissing off the US allows them to potentially get away with much more than a faithful treaty literalist might believe.

yeah it sucks how money permanently disappears from the economy after somebody spends it

Meanwhile mining is literally just digging shit out of the ground, with most markets saturated
But retards think there is a market for space minerals that we don't have the capability to send a person to

why not "10 quintillion"
if you're going for dramatic flair why not say "a million trillion"

10,000 quadrillion dollars?
Imagine what you could do with that kind of money...fucking amazing.
Too bad this will never happen and space travel is far from becoming monopolized space mining.

Our moon can't have a moon of its own, earth would just swipe it like the nigger planet it is

I'm lauging too much, sorry I have to go to sleep

yes, let me put that part in brackets so you can be enlightened

>Economists
>Not [dumb]
>Philosophers
>Not [dumb]
>Anything humanities related
>Not [dumb]

MAGNETIC WHEELS

Assuming there will be sufficient iron to establish a grip.

Is it not a GIANT BALL OF IRON?
youtube.com/watch?v=RAn-6DNPXXo

It's a much safer bet to send something that can traverse the terrain regardless of how much iron is in it.

how about harpoons that dont work in vacuum?

why don't we just spend literally all of our GDP to go mine it then? If it costed 10 trillion dollars to send a rocket out there but we all get 10,000 quadrillion back then we would get 1 million times our investment. That's huge, basically we'd all be fucking millionaires, potentially billionaires. Seems like a no brainer, too bad our government is too stupid to do this, we could literally all be living like sheiks right now

goyim yes!

Dude, there's a difference between having a system in which meritocracy and hard work lead to success (free markets) and people exploiting the system and other people to reach the top unfairly.

Jews do that with no moral qualms because they are taught to do so (take advantage of the goyim) since childhood. I suggest you take a look at some of the jucier Talmud excerpts.

As for Russia, the Jews were at the heart of early bolshevism and the COMINTERN. Jews jew the goyim, no matter the place or method.

t. /pol/tard

Well we could send a hopper robot. There's super low gravity, but it's not entirely zero.

Pic related was going to be the first asteroid rover, but JAXA fucked that up.

MAGNETS though.

There's also this: spacecraftresearch.com/eddy/eddy_overview.html

Attract and repel the roid to move around.

Magnets are bad for this mission though, because they want to measure the magnetic field

>nickel and iron

Are those even hard to mine on earth?

The risk that it could just "hop" off into space and drift away is too high. What we need is something that could anchor itself with one limb, swing the other forward, anchor with the forward most limb, and repeat.

How would this usher in a new era for anything? It's just iron and nickel. All that would help us do is build suspension bridges in Africa. We need rare earth metals in mass quantities to do what this proposes.

Why the fuck do you wanna build in Africa?

if they dont do it then why shouldnt i take it myself
karpe diem as they say in universities!!

Sad!

show math so we can btfo berniefags forever pls.

>if actually mined or brought back to Earth
>brought back to Earth
What a nice doomsday weapon you've delivered unto us NASA

yes, because people are saying that if it's harvested in its entirety by one single entity then that one entity effectively has all the money.

but it shouldn't matter, because if all of that is harvested and used then we can all be fucking rich.

>didn't read the article
>has no idea what asteroid is being talked about

>hurr wut da hell r u talking bout

>$10000 quadrillion
That's 10 quintillion just use that

This is Veeky Forums. Underaged, college aged, and autistic faggots.
it's probably the most commie board on Veeky Forums.

>Gay space communism in our time?

Unless people can eat metal, no. All this will do is flood the market with metals, which only have any value because they're rare, and make them worthless.

fuck off marxist scum

you have no idea how wrong you are

God fucking damn, I can't wait for the colonial space era. All overly politicized faggots can fuck off and try their little sandbox utopias without COMPLAINING AND BITCHING ON Veeky Forums

We'll get there someway so BE QUIET

THEN YOU CAN GO PUT A FUCKING KIBBUTZ ON THE MOON
NAZIS CAN ESTABLISH A REICH ON EUROPA

I DON'T FUCKING CARE
GET LOST

That kind of £££ can only result in Space Thatcherism, user

It'd collapse the economy alright. We'd all be free to do whatever the fuck we want to with a living wage to boot.

Who the fuck took that picture?