How close are we to having a powered, armoured, exoskeleton...

How close are we to having a powered, armoured, exoskeleton? What major roadblocks (besides a source of portable power) are preventing one from being made?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_(robot)
youtube.com/watch?v=6HQdJrAJV2U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

none aside new batteries to power the suit.

The big thing is control mechanism.

You either need some kind of neural interface, or you need a machine learning system that can "follow" the movements of the person inside the suit, without accidentally breaking their legs/arms by making extreme motions.

How would a neural interface work? Would it be similar to a prosthetic?

Well if we want to take the movie as a bench mark, literally not even close.

He got shot out of the sky with a tank shell and it didn't even do anything to him.

retard alert

I didn't mean exactly like the movie, I just meant in general. Something similar.

Control systems aren't good enough, current exoskeletons require quite a bit of user energy to move.

Power sources are a problem for smaller suits but some crazy grad student could make a bigger suit (not gundam, think power loader) with a straight up combustion engine.

engineering undergrad alert

Something still has to absorb the force of projectiles, exactly as people shot wearing Kevlar get micro-fractures that kills them early. And of course if there were protective suits there would be bullets of the same material that could penetrate the armor.

We have those already. Pic related

>bullets of the same material that could penetrate the armor
no

Dumbass.
Batteries.
Power output from those batteries.
Metal strong enough to withstand direct hit from bullets/explosions while still being light enough for the user to stand in without constant power.

Okay, so what are the best batteries for something like this?

And what would be the best metal?

We've been using skin-surface electrical signals in medical prosthetics for a while now. It's literally just doing the same thing, calibrating the armor to understand your specific motion controls, then letting it respond to your stimuli.

May have to recalibrate for every new user, but it's not as big of a problem as your making it out to be. I'd be more concerned with power supply and the range that you'd have with something like that.

Cyberdyne's HAL, shown in does this

>We've been using skin-surface electrical signals in medical prosthetics

Are you kidding me? That shit sucks.

If you want real responsive movement you need much better control systems. This is an unsolved problem.

>calibrating the armor to understand your specific motion controls

You say this as if its just some parameters you have to tweak. Show me one implementation of such a system lol

Absolutely screaming

>What major roadblocks (besides a source of portable power)

We have exoskeletons that do this already:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_(robot)

The other way of controlling an exoskeleton is to sense the forces amd torques the user applies. If one has a fast enough control loop one can cancel out the exoskeleton's weight so that the wearer doesn't feel it.

youtube.com/watch?v=6HQdJrAJV2U