You guys couldn't even argue long enough to keep my basmati thread alive, so now I need another one

You guys couldn't even argue long enough to keep my basmati thread alive, so now I need another one.

I tried cooking basmati using suggestions from that thread. It came out nice and soft, but really quite sticky.
>Rinsed rice thoroughly
>Soaked for about 25 minutes
>Rinsed again
>Added to pot with 1.5x water by volume, and salt
>Brought to boil
>Stirred, covered, simmered on lowest for 20 minutes
>Turned off the heat (electric), left covered to rest for about 10-15 minutes while I finished the rest of the food
Tasted good and smelt nice, but way too sticky.

I have no intuitive sense of what I need to do differently to fix this. Help me out here?

Toss rice into zojirushi.

You dont need to soak it.

White rice is shit. Get some brown, and only for when you run out of superior starches.

When you turned the heat off did you leave the pot on top of the hot stove or did you move it to an unused portion?
Electric stoves take a while to cool.
For the stickiness I think its to be expected with that kind of rice. Most of the time I use a similar process to yours but when I'm feeling extra lazy I cook it similarly to pasta, with a lot more water, boiling, then drain it in the end, that way might make it less sticky as you wash away most of the starch when draining

Not a rice expert but fluff the rice immediately after it's off the heat and get it into another container...I imagine the residual heat from the pan isn't helping with rice consistency

Basmati rice is not meant to be sticky

Nobody drains basmati rice

My mom makes sushi with basmati :(

Not all rice is sushi/asian rice, it's been a staple in some european countries for centuries now, the way I've always seen it involves cooking all the water out and leaving it to finish in the residual steam/heat
Oops, was mistaking it for the vietnamese one, nobody drains rice in general as far as I know, I just do it when I feel lazy and just want white rice usually I cook it a bit in some olive oil with chourico and garlic and add the water later (portuguese way) but this wouldnt work for basmati I'm assuming

Wouldn't it take less effort to just roughly measure the rice and water so you don't need to drain?

Tbh you're probably right. I don't eat a lot of rice so I haven't had any reason to try and up my rice game.

Perhaps, never really thought about it, dont really make plain rice often, I think it cooks faster with the rolling boil opposed to simmering but idk, maybe the difference isnt that relevant

I mean, I'm no expert as well, its just how it's done in my country, if you want asian style rice there are probably other ways

>nobody on Veeky Forums actually knows how to cook rice
The secret's out

>nobody on Veeky Forums actually knows how to cook
FTFY ;)

You didn't use my method I posted.
>rinse rice until water runs clear
>soak rice for 1/2 an hour
>bring pot of salted water to a boil, like you would for pasta
>add rice and one bay leaf(optional), stir once
>boil until rice is basically "al dente", softened, but with a slight bite
>drain rice
>mound on a baking sheet and top with a few pats of butter or drizzle with a bit of oil
>bake at 400F for 5-7 minutes until steamed and fluffed.

You also get a few crispy bits around the edges, which is kind of nice, actually.

>water in pot
>boil
>rice in pot
>salt
>10 minutes
>leave on cold stove top for an hour because I'm a tard
>soggy disgusting mess.

It's almost edible after a reheat on a pan

Get a rice steamer, they're not that expensive. I also prefer pandan to basmati, as it is less dry.

Goddamnit sometimes /ck are such autists about cooking food. I just cooked basmati rice yesterday, to go with a few currys, and it came out great:

> Rinse rice
> Rice in pot
> Cold water in pot...estimate water about 1inch over top of rice
> Add sprig of lemongrass
> Set to low heat to slowly come to boil
> Boil until steam stops trickling out of my pot
> Turn off heat, finish cooking curry
> Eat delicious rice with curry.

Faggots.

But you're a curry eater, so to you it doesn't matter if the rice is sticky. You probably prefer it that way. This is not an insult. Asian rice is usually a bit sticky to facilitate eating with different curries or sauces or desserts.
But basmati rice is used all over the world for lots of different dishes. Many of those require light, fluffy, non-sticky rice that easily separates into individual grains.

Now, stop calling anyone who cooks differently than you a faggot, faggot.

who else /shortgrain/ here?

rinse a lot
soak 30 mins
boil in same water with lid on
turn heat down
cook for 7 mins
turn off
leave for 10 mins
put on high heat for 30 seconds
eat

>But you're a curry eater, so to you it doesn't matter if the rice is sticky.

In India, it is common to eat with your hands. Even curries. You need the rice to be somewhat sticky so you can form it into the little flat shape used to scoop up the curry. Claiming that curry means you don't need sticky rice is just plain stupid.

>reading comprehension
Learn it.

I said that you WANT your rice to be sticky. This is what happens when you just skim a comment.

Are you such a pissy cunt because you can't even cook rice properly?

Indfag here, basmasti rice is never supposed to come out sticky. If it does you fucked up. Look at pictures of biryani if you want to see how the rice should look when cooked.

What are you making anyway? Basmatti is used more for special occasions rather than regular everyday eating.

No, I'm a pissy cunt because people like you can't read and also don't realize that rice is cooked many ways for many reasons. You're the dumb fucker who called people faggots because they don't cook sticky fucking rice every day.

In other parts of the world, basmati rice is used every day, for every meal. Why do Indians think they're the only people who cook?

>I said that you WANT your rice to be sticky.

Then why did you say:

>But you're a curry eater, so to you it doesn't matter if the rice is sticky

Why does eating curry imply not caring about stickiness?

That wasn't me though. I'm the guy who called you a pissy cunt because you overreact about people having lacking reading comprehension in their second language.

Booooofucking HOOOOOO.

Did you read the next sentence?

Jesus, don't you have a rice cooker?

Of fucking course, but I'm not asking about the next sentence. I was talking about the one that I've asked you about twice now.

And I explained it to you. Are you so fucking stupid that you don't understand paragraphs, and their meanings? Jesus.....autists.......

Ricecooker.

Or boil it for 10 minutes and then steam it for 10 minutes in a sieve.

R I C E
C O O K E R

use less water and rely on the steam more for cooking
make a batch that's 1:1 water:rice by volume. Get the water to boil for like 20 seconds and then turn it down to the lowest setting and let the steam do the work. It'll take a bit longer but it'll make your rice a lot less sticky. If it turns out under cooked, put the almost done rice in a chinoise or a mesh strainer and put it over a pot of boiling water to steam a bit longer.

Basmati rice tends to be more expensive to normal generic rice, where in my post did I say we were the only people who cook basmati rice? Its more aromatic than normal rice and its much more suited for certain dishes than other types of rice. Its not even the healthier option either for rice.

Get bent cuz, i guess its like how some germans? use mayo to eat their french fries vs ketchup in america. Rice is a sidedish to the actual meal bruh

Rice is a cheap filler. The bread of Asia.

Most of western Europe actually, but you're probably thinking of France.

rinse 4-5 times
soak >_30 mins
add 1 and 1/3 rice volume of boiling water
bring to boil then cover and simmer for 5 minutes
take off heat and leave covered for 5
enjoy stodgy sticky rice

if i didn't make ratios clear:
90ml of rice needs 120 of water etc

Basmati is long grain by definition though.

I do not want stodgy sticky rice
I thought the premise of the thread was pretty clear, but I guess I'll do the next one in ALLCAPS or something

You might want to switch to a different kind of rice. Ketan with some coconut milk will give you the best glutinous rice.

If you want rice where grains don't stick then you are literally an autist

i bet you don't like vegetables either, and you're the one that makes threads about fucking cancer energy drink

I don't want glutinous rice
I want basmati rice
Correctly cooked basmati rice isn't very sticky
I want to know how to cook it to achieve this

How many more walls must my head be bashed upon

Thought you wanted sticky rice, the thread was kind of vague. Sorry man.