How do I slow down photons so they are as fast as the speed of sound ?

How do I slow down photons so they are as fast as the speed of sound ?

Other urls found in this thread:

physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2009/dec/15/slowed-light-breaks-record
youtube.com/watch?v=EK6HxdUQm5s
youtube.com/watch?v=IBSAtBicBog
youtube.com/watch?v=dVfnd5r8bM0
youtube.com/watch?v=uY6r_rEvKtU
youtube.com/watch?v=cCuOlyMlJD0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Using materials with a high enough refractive index. Or if you only care about group velocity then using photonic crystals. Either way you probably need metamaterials.

Say I have the metamaterials, how much can I slow a photon down, and would it be still visible to the human eye ?

It depends on the meta materials you have.
Usually people only care about slowing the group velocity, so I'm not sure what kind of reduction you could get in phase velocity, but without using cryogenic chambers or equally elaborate setups you can probably reduce it by a factor of 100 or so.

>would it be still visible to the human eye ?
Unless the wavelength has been changed then yes, if the photon hits the eye it will be detected.

Using the power of your mind. You must believe in yourself.

>photon
Photons don't actually exist. If you mean protons or electrons, you just need to shine them through consecutive prisms.

>Photons don't actually exist

2/10

You have to build a sound wall to keep illegal photones from moving faster than sound

How about you don't slow them down, and let them get on with their daily lives, mkay?

Chaos Emeralds.
Alternatively known as time crystals

pause the video

Build a black sun (black hole). Apparently their gravity slows down and even stops the speedy photons.

They don't really slow down btw, they are just absorbed and released so the apparent effect is to slow down.
When photons are traveling, which is pretty much the only thing they can do, they are still at speed of light.

Anybody here remember slow glass?

>would it be still visible to the human eye ?
A photon is only visible if it hits your eye. Anything is visible if a photon reflects off of it and that photon hits your eye. To ask what a photon looks like, is like asking what a sound wave sounds like.

Bose einstein condensate:
physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2009/dec/15/slowed-light-breaks-record

refractive material just make the path of the photon longer, but itll still move at c

But that's wrong.

he is right tho, photons are just condensed packs of info/energy in the space medium, the very principle of modern wave/particle theory

By that logic electrons don't exist.

>implying electrons arent just charged photons

Cooled gases? idk

>implying they are

i dont know, all that matters is if it still has
enough energy to activate photoreceptors. I know for sure that making light waves wider (ergo longer, ergo less frequency) reduces energy

If it reaches the frecuency of sound i doubt it could be seen and it would act like radio waves, having Jeb! tier energy

If it loses energy itll probably be se

>implying an electron is anything other than a free down-quark

made me smile

at a glance all the replies are incorrect.

if you want to slow down light it must be passing through a bose einsten condensate (REALLY REALLY COLD STUFF)

youtube.com/watch?v=EK6HxdUQm5s

Because thats a practical solution.

Good luck creating one outside a lab.

would it change the wavelength ?

>i like solitons

me too

If you did would they gain mass?

You literally can't. You can slow the speed that light propagates thru a space by forcing it thru a medium such as water or a bose-einstein condensate, but every photon always and only travels at c. What you'd be doing is causing the photons to be absorbed and re-emitted as it passes thru the medium, it's not the photons that are slowing down, just the "light wave".

Not necessarily

Phalse

I wonder how it feels to see a light from a very very slow photon.

The same way you slow down any energy, change its frequency

you cannot actually slow an individual photon, but you can bounce multiple photons through a material and it takes them longer to cross the material.

>bounce multiple photons through a material and it takes them longer to cross the material
WRONG
Look up what a polariton is.

youtube.com/watch?v=IBSAtBicBog
youtube.com/watch?v=dVfnd5r8bM0
youtube.com/watch?v=uY6r_rEvKtU
youtube.com/watch?v=cCuOlyMlJD0