Is Veeky Forums smarter than /v/? posters there are saying the asnwer is c3, but I'm pretty sure it's d4

is Veeky Forums smarter than /v/? posters there are saying the asnwer is c3, but I'm pretty sure it's d4.

c3 reeeeeeee

the first line of dialogue gets rid of A6, B4 and B5

so the second line of dialogue means bernard has no more ambiguity, and the only numbered trolley line left with a single blue pad is 4, so it's d4

c3 is correct.

It's c3.

It can't be A6 or B5 because then Bernard would know the combination.
Albert knows Bernand doesn't know, which means it also can't be ANYTHING on A or B.

After this fact, Bernand realizes the answer. He would know realize the answer if it was anything on the 1 line.
Albert also realizes the answer, which he would know have if it was anything on the D line.

This leaves c3.

>He would know realize the answer if it was anything on the 1 line.
He would not*

So, how are the other 30 deaths brought about? The problem only mentions the location of 20 people, there is no mention of any other people present.

The 20 people are the people you kill by crashing the trolley's together with your meddling. They won't even die if you don't do anything. The 50 deaths are another group of people who Cheryl will kill if you don't crash the trolley's.
Have you not heard of a trolley problem before?

>the first line of dialogue gets rid of A6, B4 and B5
You lost me

albert knows bernard doesnt know, so a single number cant be enough info (i.e. can't be A6 or B5)

since albert also doesnt know, a letter cant be enough of an identifier for whats left, so it cant be B4

There is no mention of Cheryl killing any other people in the problem.
Go read it again.

You're a fucking moron. That's the entire point of the problem.

>albert knows bernard doesnt know, so a single number cant be enough info
>(i.e. can't be A6 or B5)

...you lost me

if bernard knows the correct pad from just the number then it has to be a lane with only one pad

all of them except 5 and 6 have more than one pad

>if bernard knows the correct pad from just the number then it has to be a lane with only one pad
Ok...but I don't get it try again like I'm 5

what dont you get?

I should clarify, there is no clear link between her intent and the trolleys such that there are separate body counts.
Are there people at specific intersections, that was my first thought the intersections.

What assumptions, if any, can be made about the timing of the trolleys?

Answer, chose randomly because the trolleys will never collide due to Cheryl's piss poor timing and by your clarification she kills the 50 anyways. We never truly had a chance.

If you don't like people questioning the problem, write a better problem.

>questioning
No, questioning implies that you are asking for clarification. You're stating something completely fucking wrong as if it was fact. Don't deny responsibility for your falsehoods by disguising them as "questions".

It's d2.

>letter fag says he doesn't know what it is, but that number fag can't know
Can't be B6 or A6 because they're the only ones their number lines and number fag would know just with the number. Letter fag can only say "I know that you don't know" because HE knows it's not B5 or A6 either, it has to be another letter.

>number fag realizes what it is
This is because since number fag gave away that it's not B5 or A6, he can rule out both of those letters and narrow it down to C or D. Number fag realizes what the answer is, so it had to be one of the number lines with only one option remaining, which can be either 2, 3 or 4.

>letter fag knows what it is now too
It can't be anything on the 1 row because then number fag wouldn't know the answer, since there's two possible answers on that number line. This means we're down to C3, D2, D4. Since letter fag now knows the answer, it can't be D2 or D4 because he only knows the letter. Which means that letter fag knew it was the C option.

I pull A1 instead of C3 because I want to see more people die.

1st line also elimates B4 so the next line implies its d4

>1st line also elimates B4
Like I said, 1st line eliminates all of rows A and B.

The next line doesn't imply solely D4, it also implies any number line with only one option between C and D.

why does 1st line eliminate A2/A3?

Holy shit

>Albert: I don't know, but I KNOW THAT YOU DON'T KNOW EITHER.

If the number for the combination was 6, Bernand would know it was A6 since that is the only combination with 6 in it.

Albert states that he KNOWS FOR A FACT that this is not the case, which means the letter cannot be A. The only way Albert would know FOR A FACT that it cannot be A6 is if A was not in the combination.

The same is true for B.

This isn't rocket science, this shit is easy.

its obvious its not A6, but then you magically get rid of the rest of the A*?

if cheryl tells albert A and tells bernard 2 the first line of dialogue is still true

Albert knows its not A6 because he knows that bernard doesnt know
bernard only has one piece of info so bernard not knowing means that the number doesnt solely identify the blue pad

At least post a real question next time.

>It can't be A6 or B5 because then Bernard would know the combination.
>Albert knows Bernand doesn't know, which means it also can't be ANYTHING on A or B.
im still not seeing how it follows that it cant be A or B from the first dialogue line

if its A2 then albert doesnt know because it could be A3 and bernard doesnt know because it could be D2

if its A3 then albert doesnt know because it could be A2 and bernard doesnt know because it could be C3

pls explain

guys why would we want to help cheryl kill people. Each crash kills 20 people. THere are multiple paths so if a crash happens on a6 there is another route for the next 20 people to die.

It says each crash kills 20 people. Cheryls goal is to kill 50 people. Think people its not that hard...

Albert doesn't magically know that Bernard doesn't know, based on nothing.

He only knows that BECAUSE of the letter he has been told.

see

Albert is only told a letter.

Albert now knows it is not A6 or B5.

Albert is only told a letter.

>Albert is only told a letter.
>Albert now knows it is not A6 or B5.
>Albert is only told a letter.
yes i'm fine with that

why are A2 and A3 also eliminated by the first dialogue?

if its A2 or A3 then neither albert nor bernard know because of D2 and C3 respectively

The only way for Albert to be sure initially that it's not on A6 is to know that it's not on the A line, because if he knew it was on the A line, it might be A6. Same with B and B5

>yes i'm fine with that
You're clearly not

kek

>The only way for Albert to be sure initially that it's not on A6 is to know that it's not on the A line, because if he knew it was on the A line, it might be A6. Same with B and B5
why is this the only way? if albert knows its on the A line and knows that bernard doesn't know then it can't be A6.

not a helpful

He only knows that Bernard doesn't know it because of his knowledge of the letter. He didn't know it already.

but the line is 'i dont know, but i know you dont know either', i.e. two separate propositions

not an implication 'i dont know, therefore i know you dont know either'

his statement is not based on him not knowing?

>You know that Cheryl told her henchman the correct letter only

I didn't say it was that implication. His statement of not knowing is based on the only information he was given, that of the letter.

The statement that he personally doesn't know the pad at the beginning is actually irrelevant because all letters have multiple possible pads.

>D track has a single option left after A and B tracks are eliminated
???

That doesn't make any kind of sense.

Because I'm blind and was looking at it wrong, carry on.

Now that I've looked at it again, here's the real answer.

>I don't know which is the correct pad, but I know that you don't either.

This means it isn't A or B tracks. That leads C and D.

>At first I didn't know which was the correct pad, but now I do.

This means it must be either 2, 3, or 4 since those are the remaining tracks with only one option.

>Now I know which is the correct pad too

Since it can't be 1, it must be C. C is the only track with one remaining option.

It's C3.

Congratulations. Welcome to Team Correct.

You can now read these threads with same despair as the rest of us.

I'm disturbed by how commonly I look at problems like this, think I've arrived at the correct conclusion, then suddenly realize I was totally ignoring a piece of information. Don't know what's about it.

For some reason in the beginning I thought that A just "magically" knows that B doesn't know, not that it was logically reasoned as in why A knows why B can't know it and why it leaves out the A track as a whole. I feel like a retard.

This one was really cool. Got any more? Also I concur it's C3 as discussed by other anons

Btw original version is Albert Bernard Cheryl birthday problem

How the fuck do you know which trolley is Albert and which is Bernard?

THIS THREAD AGAIN. THIS THREAD IS A TROLL BAIT OPPORTUNITY FOR A FUCKING ASSHOLE. DO NOT ENGAGE.

And the answer is, of course D4, as the third poster describes. What will happen in this thread is that this dumb cunt troll will keep posting 'C3' and an illogical 'reasoning' for it, and samefagging all over the place. Let this shit die, or fucking report it.

A1. That way both unmanned trains will crash against each other asuming they travel at the same speed and they took off at the same time.

It is C3 though, when in doubt for multiple choice questions the correct answer is always third.