What kind of hobbies or creative pursuits would be conducive to success in science if there are any

what kind of hobbies or creative pursuits would be conducive to success in science if there are any

weed

Whatever gives you good connections to other people in the field

Music. Learn to play a serious instrument - not a guitar or drums. Play something structured, like classical music, especially Baroque. This involves learning to read music. This will alter your brain.

>This will alter your brain.
in what ways

You will become Vibratto the most powerful of the X-Men.

Try learning about other languages. You don't even have to pick one and stick with it until you're fluent (though if you like languages as much as I do you will do that anyways); just explore the grammar and phonology of as many languages as you can and try to understand it. It helps you practice logic skills that can be applied to many things other than languages.

This

Like some anons said learning other languages is great.

The language you use to think in your head has a huge influence on how you think, I notice this whenever I switch between English and German. It's quite remarkable. Your goal should be to learn a language well enough to think in it.

If you are already scientifically minded, might as well learn programming and write some software related to your field.

Not very powerful being dead is he? You can alter your brain with a bag of mushrooms and ping pong balls over your eyes too.

Cooking because to be successful in science you need a wafu and she likes good meals too.

Learning other languages helped beef up my resume for some positions (at least in undergraduate). It's something that was different from a lot of applicants. Both my parents come from different places in Europe, so I've been learning French and German since I was young. Good conversation starter too

Second this. Learning how to cook great food is super satisfying. Not only do you get to learn about other cultures and their cuisines, cooking is a great example of practical magic. To be a good cook, you have to learn a little bit of everything from physics, chemistry, and biology in order to fully master the practice. It's also a great way to impress women, never fails.

I hate cooking so much. I also hate people who obsess over food, it's so fucking annoying. It's not like I only eat fast food, I eat well, but I couldn't care less about how exactly it is prepared and how it tastes.

Those toes

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

>with a bag of mushrooms and ping pong balls over your eyes
What kind of X-Men is that?

reading
/thread

Hey, Hey, Hey, this is Library

>a serious instrument - not a guitar or drums
you what mate?

Veeky Forums, fap and anime

t. someone with no taste buds

You can still play classical on the guitar, see Julian Bream for example

>Hates cooking
People like you ought to starve to death. You're like the panda bears who wouldn't fuck to save their species.

what do you mean

Massive amounts of psychedelics

What if I hate cooking, but I cook anyway because I'm poor and hungry

Anything conducive to opening your mind and fostering a more intellectually-inclined, logical and introspective mind.

Some ideas:
>Studying philosophy (even if it's just narrow selections of it, not the whole).
>Reading in general, read non-brain dead content of anything and it will help.
>Studying your chosen science field or fields in your spare time (don't treat it as a job or chore, envelope yourself in it as part of your lifestyle)
>Playing certain games (both board and video) that force your brain to do certain things; games that improve reaction time and coordination are nice but intellectually the best are things like: Chess, Go, games that involve strategy/meta/tactics/mental games between opponents. StarCraft is a good example, it is different to other strategy-oriented games in that it is very fast-paced. There is no deliberation, it forces you to come up with ideas, strategy and tactics in a fast and concise manner. Look up a high-level professional match of StarCraft Broodwar or StarCraft 2 if you want to see the speed, intensity and complexity that it can produce.
>Music: studying, playing and making. Don't take an easy path like learning guitar tabs and only playing guitar. Learn music theory, try play as many instruments as possible.

Ultimately anything that makes you think and stimulates your brain into change and consideration is good for success in life in general. Which is then good for success in science.

It really depends on what branch of science. Like botany, you could go into collecting genetic samples all over the world in remote locations other people don't really like going to. Meaning you could combine your hobby of rock climbing with that.

Otherwise, things like playing music, learning languages, and tactical games where you must think 10+ moves ahead.

This is true, so long as you are playing structured music. I suppose that is the "serious instrument" part, but it is more about how you are using the instrument, not the type of instrument.