Give me a quick rundown on the classic Italian sub sandwich, cu/ck/s

Give me a quick rundown on the classic Italian sub sandwich, cu/ck/s.

What's the best way to make an Italian sub? What and how do you layer?

Other urls found in this thread:

hogislandhoagie.com/product/italian-hoagie/
whitehousesubshop.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pretty much like your pic, except I'd replace the pepperoni with a little more ham or spicy copa (because pepperoni is fucking trash) and add some sliced provolone. and I'd be sure that vegetable matter came into contact with a little oil, vinegar and oregano.

Yeah, I always have provolone, usually at the very bottom or between the meats.

I use a good amount of red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper over the LTO. Should the oil mix go anywhere else?

I kind of like pepperoni, but way less put on than the other meats or it overpowers. So maybe I'm a heretic. Also, I generally prefer pic related over pickled pepperocini. Any better brands?

Gabagoo

Fuck, forgot pic.

I'm of the opinion any pickled hot peppers will do as long as they're used with enough restraint so as not to overwhelm the other flavors.

And I totally get why people like pepperoni in their Italian sandwich, but to me it just makes it taste cheap.

Things that belong on an Italian sub:

>Imported ham
>Genoa salami
>Soppressata
>Spicy Capicola
>Lettuce
>Provolone
>Tomato
>Olive oil
>Splash of red wine vinegar
>Salt (pepper optional)
>Dash of Oregano

Meat on the bottom, each slice folded over on itself once. Allows a bit of air to get in and fluff up the sandwich while getting more mileage out of each meat slice. Then cheese, which is not folded, but lies flat. Tomato sits on the cheese and receives the salt/oregano/pepper. Then shredded lettuce, which is splashed with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Can be toasted at this point, though I prefer mine with fresh Italian bread that is still soft.

Things that do not belong on an italian sub

>Pepperoni
>Bologna
>Mayonnaise

Nothing triggers me more than fucking mayonnaise. Get that shit OFF my sub. Absolutely disgusting.

Little memester. Was this fun for you? Are you enjoying the replies?

>Can be toasted at this point
Forgot to mention you can obviously do meat/cheese/spices first and then toast before you add the lettuce and tomato if you want those ingredients to remain cool, for a nice contrast.

Sounds good, appreciate the layering advice.

I haven'tt use soppressata because it's a bitch to find fresh sliced where I am. Would hard salami be an acceptable sub? There is an upscale butcher ~20 minutes away I could try, but I've heard it's expensive as all get out.

>fucking mayonnaise. Get that shit OFF my sub.
I am so with you. Some of the sub shops in upstate NY smear that shit on so heavily that it drips out with each bite. Why would you do that to an Italian sub?! I have to remember whenever I'm up there to specify no mayo or my sandwich will be ruined with a comical amount of the stuff.

Sure, I guess. Just been trying to nail a at least a 9/10 Italian sub. Feel like I'm at 6/10 right now.

Been having trouble finding the bread I want. Most is too doughy or dry, or missing the hearty crust crackle I'm looking for without having to toast much or at all. If it's not one thing it's another.

Master race Italian sandwich coming through - the superior Muffuletta

I used to hate mayo, but I don't mind very light mayo on some sandwiches now.

It has no place on an Italian, though, especially with the oil already there.

Friend recommended me mortadella, but that's a bologna isn't it?

And how about prosciutto? Though that might be too expensive for most days.

>prosciuttini
>capicola
>salami
>pepperoni
>provolone
>tomatoes
>red onions
>pepper relish like pic related
>olive oil and red vinegar
>garlic aioli
>oregano

>No lettuce

I'd still crush though.

Tried to find wickles a few times, think it might be at Walmart of all places

this entire post.

>Friend recommended me mortadella, but that's a bologna isn't it?
It's like a high class bologna. I don't personally like it, but it is a bit better than regular bologna. There is just a weird "off" taste that I can't put my finger on when it comes to bologna. It's like a weird no-man's land between salty and hinging on almost sweet. And the texture sucks.

>And how about prosciutto?
Loses all definition in an italian sub. There are too many other flavors going on in the sandwich to appreciate the nice salty cure of good, thinly sliced prosciutto. I usually feel like it adds nothing and gets lost, personally. Feels like a waste of prosciutto. It's much better standalone or with choice complements than in a sandwich.

Okay, I'll skip both for the sub, thanks.

Was never a bologna fan myself, I think Oscar Meyer garbage ruined it for me at a young age.

>And how about prosciutto?
If you're going to have a prosciutto sandwich all that should be on it is a little oil and maybe some tomato.

I'm partial to diced tomatoes, any kind of lettuce, smoked provolone, and plenty of capicola
but no fucking mortadella, not ever

You throw on some spicy giardiniera and I'l eat the ass out of that sammich.

The Italian sandwich shop I favorite has a horseradish mayo that the make fresh every day that is fucking incredible, plus you can get any sandwich with toasted garlic bread instead of soft Italian bread. The Hill neighborhood in St Louis has a fucking sandwich shop, deli, or Italian restaurant on every street corner pretty much.

>Slicing all the way through the bread
>Calling a hoagie a "sub"

wew lad

>tomato

enjoy a soggy water egg ruining the integrity of your bread and making the meat slip around

>but they have flavor if you grow them yourself!

kys

Salami, pepperoni, hot capicola, and a little mortadella with some sliced provolone cheese.

>but they have flavor if you grow them yourself!
They do

I just don't like giardiniera on a sandwich. I adore the shit don't get me wrong but as a part of antipasto or just random snacking. It overpowers everything else in a sandwich other than the fat/salt/meat flavor.

Also toasting the bread is for goombas

that's american you dumbass

So are hoagies.

thats not the point

Everyone post your favorite places to get hoagies

This is the only place in Seattle where I can find a decent hoagie.

hogislandhoagie.com/product/italian-hoagie/

The bread is tasty as fuck.

poupon cream sauce
provolone
pepperoncini
ham
pepperoni
salami
tomatoes
onion
grill on a garlic herb bread.

GUYS-A WHAT OTHER MOVIE HAS-A GOD TIER ITALIANA FOOD-A?

This has salami pepperoni spinach olives onions mayo prov, mama mia

How's the Italian FOOD here

(You) know what you're talking about.

not that poster but I hate lettuce. I like cilantro on tacos and basil in caprese, but lettuce is just shit on everything.

>Italian sub
Any American food with a country in its name is going to be flyover tier shit.

The term was coined on the East coast, know nothing

Thank you for your contribution Australia. Tell us more about your cuisine.

Why not just put Italian dressing on it? It's basically just oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic.

>"Italian"

Nuff said mate

Slathering mayonnaise on piles on processed meat isn't much of a contribution either

Mayo doesn't go on an Italian sub. Some folks do it, but they're wrong.

whitehousesubshop.net/

this will answer all of your questions.
best sub in the USA

nazi here
>capicola
*capicollo
>copa
*coppa
>salami
*salame
>bologna
i think you mean mortadella
>pepperoni
ok i surrender

put marina and mozzerella slices on it and warm it up in the microwave.

>why don't you put sour shit water that's full of preservatives and binding agents on your sandwich instead of something simple and clean that's made quickly to taste
because i'm not a pleb

>>capicola
>*capicollo
**gabagool

It's not that preservatives are spooky, they're just a sign of low quality products.

>eat shit that tastes terrible and is bad for you because it saves you literally five seconds!!!
If you can't make your own vinaigrette, you have no business dressing a sub (or a salad for that matter)

It takes two seconds and tastes way better. If you don't have a bottle of olive oil and a bottle of red wine vinegar lying around you're beyond pleb. I've never tasted a good premade italian dressing, ever. Nothing beats EVOO, red wine vinegar, and kosher salt. The lack of preservatives and other horseshit is just an added benefit of not eating terrible tasting sour garbage.

ingredients often include
>distilled vinegar
>canola/soybean oil
disgusting

***cap'cuolllll

***guacamole

Fuck off to reddit Giuseppe.

****cacca molle

>being this much of a pleb for ken's italian
pathetic

go wash your hands doodle muncher and let the men cook

******************cockaleekie

>he doesn't make his own dressing

but I do?

that's was the point of the post, mong

No it wasn't. I suggested using Italian dressing and you sperged out about preservatives. If you made your own dressing there wouldn't be any preservatives.

Why would it matter whether you put the components individually on the sandwich or shake them into a dressing beforehand?

Basically the hoagie topping is oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Italian dressing without the garlic, which you don't need because the sandwich has onions on it.

>cook
>real men
AYY LMAO YOU'RE A FUNNY GUY EH GIUSEPPE

If you're saying it doesn't matter, then you could have just said "sure, homemade Italian dressing would work fine." Instead you jumped to a retarded conclusion and called me a pleb.

>I suggested using Italian dressing and you sperged out about preservatives
I actually sperged out about the taste mostly. Sour shit water, that.

Italian dressing is mostly just olive oil salt and red-wine vinegar anyway (with garlic and few spices), so telling someone to "use italian dressing" in place of a vinaigrette that is 90% analogous to Italian dressing already seems like a pointless critique. It's also confusing and not intelligent when instructing someone how to make a sandwich to tell them to "use italian dressing", since there are so many different recipes/ratios and many people would assume you are referring to bottled anyway. Which is terrible and tastes like shit.

I hope your asperger's works out for you though you seem a nice chap.

>this much sperg in one post

you can calm down any time

>triggered
sorry i hurt your fee fees user

i didn't mean to put your booty on blast

Your autism is showing, but you're right. When most folks think Italian dressing they think about the shit sold in plastic bottles in the supermarket, and that shit is pretty terrible.

I never told anyone to use anything, I asked "why not use Italian dressing." All the critiques you made about Italian dressing recipes/ratios also applies to the amount of oil/vinegar/spices you manually apply to the sandwich. You even admit that it's basically 90% the same shit. Why not just say "yes that would work fine?" You still haven't offered a reason as to why it wouldn't.

I forgive you.

Makes sense.

It boggles my mind because I have been eating homemade vinaigrette my entire life and it's one of my favorite things. When I was a kid I loved salad's, they were my favorite part of the meal. I just loved simple, italian-style, homemade dressing.

The mind-boggling part is trying to understand why something so easy to make and so delicious tastes like aboslute fucking shit at every restaurant you go to (and any time you eat at a friend's house or at a barbecue with fucking Ken's Pisswater as the only flavor)

It's literally the easiest thing to make but I can only ever have it at home. I've never had an italian dressed salad at a restaurant or catered meal that wasn't absolutely disgusting and nearly inedible. I would rather put ranch on it ffs than that shit. In college I ended up eating a lot of french and russian dressed salads just to avoid the awful awful italian. Mind-boggling.

>You even admit that it's basically 90% the same shit.
mostly because I think white vinegars taste like shit for italian and it seems like most italian dressings that are pre-made use that instead of red wine.

Even if the recipes/ratios were otherwise the same, by swapping out red wine vinegar for distilled or white you've basically ruined the vinaigrette, in my opinion. Same goes for olive oil vs. canola/soybean. Just easier to tell people to use the deconstucted ingredients.

>2017
>still not liking tomato because your parents raised an autistic picky eater who ate chicken nuggets and mac n cheese while the rest of the family ate an actual meal and you sat there looking like a baby until 17+

not liking tomato is well-done-steak-with-ketchup tier

I was invited to dinner at the home of one of my wife's high school friends in flyover country. Nice woman with a nice family and a nice house in the 'burbs. Dinner was a frozen pizza and salad from a bag. I was offered my choice of dressings from the collection in the fridge door. I asked for some olive oil and vinegar and whipped up a vinaigrette while my host looked on in disbelief. Her comment: "I didn't know you could DO that!" This woman was a college educated mother of two, and it had never occurred to her that salad dressing could come from any other source than a bottle purchased in the supermarket.

It was a pretty telling moment for me, realizing that a lot of things I take for granted are completely unknown to many adults who otherwise seem normal.

I was a touring actor for a while and I did a play out in rural Pennsylvania. All of my cast mates, many of whom came from sophisticated burroughs of New York and California, were amazed by my ability to dress a fucking salad.

>"whoa user, i didn't know you knew how to make your own vinaigrette! That's so authentic!"
nigger it's oil and vinegar and salt. it's less work than boiling spaghetti.

It shows what a doubled edged sword the supermarket has been to American home cooking. It's really nice to have year round access to fresh produce, but the downside is that many poor quality convenience food products have become so normalized that many never think beyond them. Bottled salad dressings are an extreme example, but one of many. Breakfast is pouring the contents of a box into a bowl with milk. Bread comes wrapped in plastic and has the unbreadlike ability to sit for over a week without going stale. Pizza comes from the freezer. Salad comes from a bag. That last one isn't a shit quality product, but it's marked up like fuck.

There is NOTHING wrong with bagged salads.

Aside from the mark up. And the fact that a bag of washed leaves sitting around under refrigeration will lose its freshness much more quickly than a head/bunch of them that hasn't been washed and bagged. So you're paying a premium for a product that's less fresh than it could be just so you don't have to bother washing it. Doesn't strike me as a very good deal.

I know high end restaurants get their micro greens delivered already washed and bagged. But I also know farmers who make their money selling those bags of greens, so I know in many cases they're harvested, washed and bagged the same day they're delivered to the restaurant. That is not the case with bags of salad in the supermarket.

I actually tested them side-by-side and you can't tell the difference. You spend a bit more, but you spend a lot less time preparing them.

PUBSUB
U
B
S
U
B

>I actually tested them side-by-side and you can't tell the difference.
Totally depends on how old that bag of salad in the supermarket happens to be. If it's just a few days short of going off it won't be all that great.